“Good and Not so Good”
Review of Trader Vic's

Trader Vic's
Reserve with OpenTable
Trader Vic's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #188 of 4,041 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Polynesian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: MARTA - Peachtree Center Station
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Good food but not enough selections and a little pricy. The Mai Ti was their specialty but was not as great as they say. My wife did not like them at all. Not much of other selection to drink unless you got the big drinks for 2,4 or 6 people. First night there men in drag show which is not my kind of thing. Small dining area and small bar.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

It's a shame that mostly tourists are the ones who enjoy this special place as it is located in the basement of the downtown Atlanta Hilton. If the Atlanta locals even knew about Trader Vic's, the place would be standing room only every night. There is nothing else like it - even remotely - in the city. The food, the drinks, the ambiance cannot be matched in the whole region. It is truly unique. I would rank food as five star Pacific Rim cuisine. I have been to Vic's about a dozen times over the last five or so years and I have NEVER been disappointed with my meal. This time I had the lobster tails and they were superb - seasoned just right and grilled perfectly to a juicy tenderness. As always, the cocktails are the best rum-based drinks you will find ANYWHERE. I was with a group of two families - 4 kids under 10. As always, our service was outstanding and our server Linda was very patient and attentive. She also gave us a first-class performance in preparing the traditional end of meal dessert - the bananas foster - complete with flames shooting up in the air. Treat yourself to Trader Vic's - it will be a very special and memorable evening.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had wanted to try Trader Vic's for the last 7 or 8 months. They were one of the participants for restaurant week in Atlanta so our friends and I made reservations for during the week for dinner. The atmosphere is funky in a tiki hut way, but there is a ridiculous amount of smoke throughout the entire restaurant and hours after we left we still smelled of the smoke. They need to smoke less food or get better air filters. 3 of us ordered off the restaurant week menu and the 4th off the regular menu. I had the mixed seafood grill, as an entrée, which was good in that the sauce was very tasty, but it had only 3 shrimp, 3 scallops and 3 of the smallest muscles I have ever seen and was NOT worth $35 in any world. I had the soup appetizer which was good and I had the Bananas fritter which was ok but not special. My husband is a picky eater and had spare ribs, crab Rangoon and onion rings. I tried each of them and none was special. The spare ribs rather than tasty like the red Chinese sauce they are in, tasted more like BBQ sauce, which was weird. It looked like one thing but tasted like another. The crab Rangoon had crab in it but virtually no cream cheese and was not creamy AT ALL. They were also terribly small. On their website the same product is said to have blue cheese in them, as well as a number of other items that were not on the menu the same way. Turns out they haven't updated their website in in a VERY LONG TIME they said and they menu has changed completely. We were disappointed overall and wouldn't return. 4 of us ate for $160. and the "cheap" Chinese food down the street is MUCH better and cheaper. The service was attentive but we were made to feel odd through the entire meal buy the service people that either left the dirty dishes too long or tried to take them while we were still eating. My husband asked for salt at one point and the waitress looked at him like he was crazy. We all go a strange feeling about the service we can't quite describe. Largely a waste. skip it.

1  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Yes, the look is very much Tiki, but the food and service was amazing! I highly recommend the surf and turf. The service by Verlair was fantastic!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went for desserts on a Saturday night and were quite surprised that hardly anyone was in the dining room. The staff was friendly but VERY slow - especially considering there were hardly any customers. The food was good, when we finally received it. The decor was so 1970's, it made me laugh!

1  Thank Eagle19862015

Been to Trader Vic's? Share your experiences!