“Good food, but very limited menu”
Review of Murphy's

Murphy's
Reserve with OpenTable
Murphy's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 4,066 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Virginia Highland
Cross street: North Highland Ave
Description: Murphy’s is loved as one of Atlanta’s best restaurants and has been for more than 35 years. Located in the heart of stylish Virginia Highland, Murphy’s is the long-standing hub of neighborhood camaraderie and the choice destination for visitors seeking the best of the district’s dining and nightlife. Tom Murphy’s acclaimed restaurant brings in the crowds with the perfect combination of upscale comfort food, gracious service, a cozy setting, and excellent value. The Atlanta Journal Constitution in a 2016 review said... "Considering the seasonality and execution coming from the kitchen; beverages — wine, in particular — that attempt to match the food in quality and offering; service that is both proficient and pleasant; and a space with so many nooks and crannies that it’s hard to say which is the best seat in the house (it depends on why you’re there), when I take a seat at Murphy’s I am getting a lot for a reasonable price, and far better than any other “neighborhood” restaurant."
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We went on a Sunday, which is when they offer only a "brunch" menu. It is a limited menu (other items are offedered during lunch and dinner through the week), but the choices were decent. I had the trout and it was amazing. Murphy's has an extensive wine list and a separate wine bar as well. The atmosphere of the resturaunt is very nice; it is quaint and comfortable. Would definitely come back.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

First, I have never had a bad experience with Murphy's food or wait staff. I love the atmosphere and have enjoyed every meal I have had at the restaurant. I am nevertheless unlikely to return to Murphy's, due to a terrible experience relating to a gift card and management's handling of the matter -- or lack thereof.

For a time, Murphy's used a third part gift-card provider; the cards in question could be used at a half dozen or so Atlanta restaurants, though Murphy's was the only one we cared for. Being regulars, we looked forward to using the several hundred dollars of value stored on the card at Murphy's. We were able to use it once or twice before being informed, at meal's end, that Murphy's no longer accepted the card. Apparently, the relationship with between Murphy's and the third party had been severed, for reasons unknown to us.

This was not the end of the world, though a disappointment; we could, presumably, still use the card at restaurants we did not like. The card came to us solely in reliance on the expectation it could be used at Murphy's. It seemed to me reasonable to hope that Murphy's might be willing to work something out to resolve the situation, at the very least offering some sort of consolation to regular patrons who were left holding the bag when, for whatever reasons, Murphy's ended its relationship with the gift card vendor.

My first attempt to contact Tom Murphy, the restaurant's proprietor, was simply ignored. After receiving a bit of junk email from the restaurant, I testily shot off a reply indicating how galling it was to be barraged with bulk mail when a personal inquiry had gone unanswered.
The restaurant's manager (not the owner) wrote a contrite reply, in which he indicated unambiguously that he had not, in fact, read my message, at least not closely enough to understand the nature of my grievance. He offered some sort of "points" on what I gather to be a loyalty card and failed to address in any way my complaint that, through no fault of my own, a card that had been purchased with the representation that it could be used at Murphy's was now being refused by Murphy's.

I replied to that email by pointing out the salient facts as set forth here, and have heard nothing further since. A few weeks later I wrote back, indicating my dismay that, once again, an aggrieved customer was simply being ignored. I expected at the very least an apology that nothing could be done, though I still held out hope that Murphy's might care enough about a regular customer caught up in this situation might in some way be made whole. I never heard another word from Murphy's. Consequently, I have not returned and doubt I will do so.

My spouse and I are attorneys, not infrequently taking parties to restaurants and parting with not insubstantial sums for food and liquor. That Murphy's should be so cavalier in its treatment of long-standing regulars who have enjoyed many a lucrative repast there still surprises me. Indeed, it still seems to me more than fair that Murphy's ought to have issued me a gift card in the amount of the balance still on the card it refused to honor. Instead, I cannot summon any response whatsoever.

My advice to readers, then, is twofold. (1) Be sure any gift card you purchase for Murphy's is actually issued by Murphy's, not by a third-party vendor, as there is no telling when Murphy's might decide to dishonor its commitments. (2) Keep your expectations low should you ever have cause to complain to the management.

All that said, I still heartily recommend Murphy's for its food, drink, genial and knowledgeable wait staff, and perhaps most of all, the warm, comfortable, convivial atmosphere of the place.

1  Thank Mousewife
Reviewed August 2, 2013

How do you handle a party of six fresh from a theatre matinee? How about with graceful service, a very responsive staff and a stunning meal.
Murphy's was a great treat for our group of friends who enjoyed the creative offering of beverages and a mouth-watering array of dishes. Our waitress was thoughtful, knowledgeable and attentive. She guided our choices from our cocktails to our entrees. Each of our various dishes was superb. And we were smart enough to leave room for desserts which were all delicious.
If you're lucky enough to pick this restaurant, you're in for a really nice culinary experience.
But there's no need to cram everything into your first visit; you'll be back.

1  Thank GaGlobeTrekker
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was my first visit to Murphy's and I will be coming back. Our server was friendly and took her time explaining some of the dishes. The value was good and we didn't feel rushed. The food was excellent.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

They offer valet parking (free, but tips are encouraged) and you cannot make reservations in advance for brunch. In addition, you cannot be seated unless your whole party is present.

After being seated, I was able to try the muffins/biscuits.... simply put, amazing. They offer 3 different types of jams/butters that leave your mouth watering for more. I decided to get a mimosa and was disappointed that they did not have any bottomless specials. For my meal, I ordered from the sides -- half french toast and chicken sausage. The french toast and sausage were both delicious and the portion size was more than enough!

After my first visit, I decided that I wanted to go back. I had a friend visit me and we woke up pretty late on Sunday and wanted brunch, but we were not sure who had a brunch that ran past 2pm...I looked it up online and found out that Murphy's serves brunch until 4pm! :)

We arrived and experienced quite a bit of a wait...25/30 minutes. We also found out that they were out of some of the food such as french toast, syrup, corned beef hash...so if you want to get the full experience it's probably better to go earlier in the day! I ordered a pancake, hash browns, and sausage, which were all delicious. Although they ran out of syrup, they went across the street to another brunch place and got some more so I was pleasantly surprised. I also tried the hot chocolate, which was very flavorful. Again, I must mention the bread, which is probably my favorite part of Murphy's. The biscuits were warm and melted in my mouth while the muffins contained a sort of apple cinnamon spread on the inside that was to die for!

I would definitely visit again.

Been to Murphy's? Share your experiences!