“Worth traveling over 5,000 miles!”
Review of Murphy's

Murphy's
Reserve with OpenTable
Murphy's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #113 of 4,084 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Virginia Highland
Cross street: North Highland Ave
Description: Murphy’s is loved as one of Atlanta’s best restaurants and has been for more than 35 years. Located in the heart of stylish Virginia Highland, Murphy’s is the long-standing hub of neighborhood camaraderie and the choice destination for visitors seeking the best of the district’s dining and nightlife. Tom Murphy’s acclaimed restaurant brings in the crowds with the perfect combination of upscale comfort food, gracious service, a cozy setting, and excellent value. The Atlanta Journal Constitution in a 2016 review said... "Considering the seasonality and execution coming from the kitchen; beverages — wine, in particular — that attempt to match the food in quality and offering; service that is both proficient and pleasant; and a space with so many nooks and crannies that it’s hard to say which is the best seat in the house (it depends on why you’re there), when I take a seat at Murphy’s I am getting a lot for a reasonable price, and far better than any other “neighborhood” restaurant."
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I first discovered Murphy's in the early 2000s. I immediately fell in love with the grouper dish that came with creamy mashed potatoes, and my dinner was always followed by tiramisu. (I don't think they have these on the menu anymore, though. If the restaurant is reading this post, please bring these items back! I will fly in just for the meal!). Although I no longer live in Atlanta, I've gone back several times since then, and I still like their fish dish. My parents think Murphy's burger is the best in the world (and they lived in how-many-countries-I-don't-remember), and that was the first thing they'd have as soon as they arrived in Atlanta. My sister always had the salmon dish. Recently, my boyfriend was in Atlanta for business, and I recommended Murphy's -- he said he had the grilled filet of ribeye two nights in a row! In summary, you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Oh, make sure you have a reservation if you're dining in. If you're like me and are personally deliverying their meals to another state (or even country), you can ask them to pack nicely so the food won't get too messy during your travels :)

Reviewed November 17, 2012

On Oct 27, 2012, after waiting an hour for a table and spending $40 at the bar, the hostess desk was asked what the corkage fee was if a wine was purchased from their wine shop. They informed us there would be no corkage fee. After purchasing what turned out to be a very nice Pinot (for a limited selection, what they do have is very good), we were seated to a nice dinner with a nice wait staff, but when the bill arrived, there was a corkage fee applied. The manager on duty was brought into the conversation, at which point we were rudely informed that WE were confused, and that they corkage fee would not be waived. Instead of admitting their mistake, and honoring it, they chose to disrespect their customers for $10-15, after over $150 was spent. Buyer beware! We will never return for this unbelievable treatment.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I really enjoyed the grouper sandwich I had for lunch one day and returned with a group for a dinner another day. The food was mixed but the strawberry lavender creme brule was outstanding!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Fortunately Atlanta has many great places to eat but Murphy's is a favorite for Sunday brunch. It is great any time but I usually go on Sundays.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Bloody Mary's are excellent and the stone ground grits can't be beat! Atmosphere is great and menu is a hard pick! I haven't eaten dinner here, only brunch on a few occassions but it has been fabulous every time! There is usually and hour + wait by 9:30-10:00 on weekends, get there early, you can nap after!

Been to Murphy's? Share your experiences!