“Good Food, Server Lacked Focus”
Review of Baraonda

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Peachtree Street & 3rd Street
Transit: North Avenue exit from the Marta station is one block south.
Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

We made a reservation for 4:00, for dining after a matinee at the Fox. As we had a rez, we were seated right away, to the chagrin of the long line of folks who didn't, but that was proper, in my book. We had an excellent two-top next to a front window, so people-watching along Peachtree was excellent! The outdoor area looked wonderful, but it was just a little too hot - another day, when it's cooler, that will be our choice. The Maître d' who seated us was very gracious - if I were to guess, I'd say he was one of the owners.

We shared the Gorgonzola salad, which was delicious, although perhaps a little smallish to share, although we were advised it was shareable, and it was priced accordingly, imo. As there was no bread mentioned, and no balsamic or oil cruets on the table indicating bread would be forthcoming, we also got the focaccia to have some bread with our salad. The focaccia is actually a flatbread/pizza, which was tasty, but not the focaccia we were expecting. Our server was mostly MIA through the entire meal, and had trouble keeping things straight, as he didn't write anything down. Each time he took an order (we ordered twice, once for starters and bubbly and a second time for mains and wine), he walked away, and before he could get the orders entered into the POS terminal, which was about 15 feet away, he had forgotten and came back to confirm. I had to get up and get my own pepper and my own balsamic vinegar cruet, as he was nowhere to be found after our salad and flatbread were brought out by the Expo.

We had said we were going to split the salad, but they didn't bring extra plates, so we ended up eating out of the same bowl placed between us. That was actually OK, but what wasn't OK was the server finally showing up when we were 2/3 done with the salad and remembering then that we were going to share, offering to get plates - we said no thanks, since by that time, there were just a few bites remaining.

My wife had the mussels appetizer as her entree, based on how good it looked when the table next to us ordered it. It was generous, about 18-20 mussels, with an excellent wine/butter/pepper flakes broth and a nice piece of crusty grilled bread for dunking. She rates it "Excellent", and the price was very good.

I had the lasagna, also based on the recommendation of the neighboring table, and it was also excellent. It had been broiled or left in the oven a little longer than you usually see with lasagna, which is actually just how I like it, with a little crust to the cheese. I don't think it was a mistake - I think that's how they prepare it, and I'm glad they do. I'd recommend it highly - and it's a good portion - not so much that you'd have leftovers, but certainly a large enough portion to satisfy a big appetite, which I had.

They have a nice list of old world and new world wines by the glass, as well as by the bottle, and for many, they offer a 5-6 oz serving plus a 9 oz serving at a slightly higher price.

Summary - location is great, ambience also, people-watching is superb, food is excellent. The service in general seems fine, judging by other tables and other servers, but our server was below par and lacked focus on what he was doing.

Reviewed July 24, 2018

A great place to go before a show at the Fox Theatre.

The food was good. We ordered a wood fire pizza, lasagna, and the salmon over one of the salads. All enjoyed their meals.

Seating
The seating is a little tight as it was very packed with alot of people trying to catch dinner before the 630pm musical at the Fox.

Service/Wait staff
Our waiter was really slow and forgot to bring several things (e.g., the salad I ordered, more marinara sauce for the calamari). Not sure the service was due to it being packed which is what the waiter indicated.

Overall
Overall, the food was really good just alot time to wait if you are trying to eat before a show at the Fox.

Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

The tiramisu was very good and pulled this rating to average. My Caesar Salad was small and dry. The Bruschetta was Italian bread slices smothered in chopped tomatoes. No mushrooms, no cheese, no anything to make it tasty. My wife ordered a Margarita Pizza. It came without a single topping. It was a cheese pizza. LOL! It was good, but it was just a cheese pizza. Oh well. My daughters spinach fettuccine with bacon was really good. The ice tea had a few cubes floating around and was served at room temperature. Not the best meal for the price. The service was fine on a slow evening.

1  Thank scottegray
Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

Seafood pasta, gorgonzola salad and creamy tomato basil soup were delicious, as was our bottle of red blend wine. Service was prompt and courteous. All in a comfortable, attractive Tuscan-style atmosphere.

Reviewed June 27, 2018

All 3 entrees my table ordered were excellent! I got the daily pasta special which was out of this world; one daughter ordered the duck pizza; and my other daughter got the daily chicken special which came with grilled vegetables dish. While our food was top notch, the service left quite a bit to be desired. Our waiter disappeared frequently, and seemed offended when I asked for a replacement for a dirty fork. That was disappointing.