“Hard to explain how good it is!”
Review of Poor Calvin's

Poor Calvin's
Reserve with OpenTable
Poor Calvin's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 3,988 Restaurants in Atlanta
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Renaissance Parkway
Transit: A short walk from Civic Center and North ave. Matra train stations.
Description: We know, we know: the word "fusion" has been wielded to justify everything from Hula Burgers to Mexican lasagna. But the East-meets-South brand of fusion happening at Poor Calvin's? It's creative; it's innovative; and it's probably unlike anything you've tasted in the ATL. After working in kitchens around the world, Calvin Phan wanted to shake things up a little. And so, into the mac 'n cheese, the Thai spices went. Now, Calvin's giving Southern staples, like meatloaf and fried chicken, a decidedly creative Asian-inspired twist (and a nip of spice, too). Case in point: we didn't think good old-fashioned mac 'n cheese could get much better. And then, we tried Calvin's ridiculously rich take on the cheesy classic, gussied up with chunks of lobster and given a zing with Thai spices. The meatloaf, too, is quite impressive; this spicy, pan-seared Thai version made pretty much all our ketchup-slathered meatloaf memories disappear in a puff of ground coriander.
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We were traveling through Atlanta and just happened on Poor Calvin's. My wife got the lobster sandwich with fried veggies and I got the fried chicken breast topped with slivers of fried sweet potato slivers, two fried biscuits topped with marscopone. OMG! That was some of the best food I have had in a while and at such a reasonable price. Thirty bucks for a great brunch for two. My only regret is that Poor Calvin's is 200 miles away. Just as well as I would weigh a ton if it were closer, :)

There are newer reviews for Poor Calvin's

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Poor Calvin's might be a small new location, but it packs a punch!!! Im lucky to travel alot and so I love to get out of my box with eating, and this Fusion inspired menu really blows me away. The Pad Thai was a very very good. They use very fresh and vibrant ingredients. Also, the service will make this a great time. The manager James really makes it an inspired time and the rest of the staff (Martin, Jenny, Michelle, etc) will make it even better. Also make sure and give your love to that little bubbly personality at the door, she makes you smile walking in. Everyone here is a good time so check it out!!!!!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband and I visited on Halloween night- relatively early- around 6:30 pm. I had read other reviews about how great the pad thai was, which is one of, if not my favorite dish.

The servers and waitstaff were all in costume. It went much further than that however. They stood around talking, guffawing and cackling in what I (hope and assume) were their characters' voices- there was one woman who had such a horrible screeching cackle. It was like nails on a chalkboard hearing her- and I turned one time to see her grinding against a wood laminate wall that has been put up. Calvin was there too- which made this all worse. That's just the atmosphere- let's talk about the food....

The pad thai had an overly heavy, dark brown beefy tasting gravy on it. It tasted nothing like pad thai I've had at more than 30 different restaurants in cities like Atlanta, Miami, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, and Asheville, NC.

Our beef satay appetizer came with what was supposed to be a peanut sauce- I LOVE peanut sauce- but the sauce had the color of yellow mustard and didn't taste much like peanut sauce.

I may give Calvin's a second chance only because my husband liked his dish. He doesn't have as wide of an Asian/Thai palate as I do- but I'm willing to try it again because the possibility does exist that because it was Halloween, things could have gone awry.

1  Thank hopetoelope
Calvin P, Owner at Poor Calvin's, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

I would like to apologize for your not so pleasant visit to PC's. Halloween was an unusual night for the servers but there is no excuse for the curry mustard sauce you were severed with your satay that was a mistake by the kitchen. As far as the Pad Thai goes I home make my sauce with real tamarind so I'm not sure if that why it was so different but I do encourage you to PLEASE come back and let me make something you will walk away loving. Thanks for your review and I hope to see you two soon.

Calvin

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We needed a quick lunch around the corner from the Georgia Power building. Walked in on a whim, and we were the only diners (which worried us). Three of us had different meals and all of them were fantastic (crispy beef tenderloin, jerky fried rice and massaman curry). Evidently it gets very busy at night, especially weekends. I can see why.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

The food and service was fantastic!! I will be returning!
The brunch menu was varied and the atmosphere was very nice.