“Great food, great service”
Review of Poor Calvin's

Poor Calvin's
Reserve with OpenTable
Poor Calvin's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 3,977 Restaurants in Atlanta
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Renaissance Parkway
Transit: A short walk from Civic Center and North ave. Matra train stations.
Description: We know, we know: the word "fusion" has been wielded to justify everything from Hula Burgers to Mexican lasagna. But the East-meets-South brand of fusion happening at Poor Calvin's? It's creative; it's innovative; and it's probably unlike anything you've tasted in the ATL. After working in kitchens around the world, Calvin Phan wanted to shake things up a little. And so, into the mac 'n cheese, the Thai spices went. Now, Calvin's giving Southern staples, like meatloaf and fried chicken, a decidedly creative Asian-inspired twist (and a nip of spice, too). Case in point: we didn't think good old-fashioned mac 'n cheese could get much better. And then, we tried Calvin's ridiculously rich take on the cheesy classic, gussied up with chunks of lobster and given a zing with Thai spices. The meatloaf, too, is quite impressive; this spicy, pan-seared Thai version made pretty much all our ketchup-slathered meatloaf memories disappear in a puff of ground coriander.
Atlanta, GA
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I've gone twice now to Poor Calvin's for lunch. The first time I had the crispy beef (delicious!) and on my most recent visit, the Pad Thai. Both were nicely prepared and tasted yummy and reasonably priced. Additionaly, the service was fast which is important to me when I go out to lunch. With limited time, it's important to get in and out quickly. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a nice change of place from some of the other downtown/midtown establishments.

• Visited July 2013

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, United States
“Fantastic food, cool atmosphere”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We wanted good southern food in a fun place. Our hotel told us about this place that has that, plus great Thai. Which is my husbands favorite. It's a little off the beaten path. It's beautifully decorated on the inside with Asian decor and fresh cut flowers on every table. The staff was super friendly. Food was some of the best I have ever had and was beautifully presented in large portions! Desserts are all very unique. I had the "quite frankly" to drink it was an Atlanta original made with fresh muddled fruit and topped with a rosé petal. I wish they would open one in southern Florida.

• Visited July 2013
Naples, Florida
“Fun Fusion and Food!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Came to Poor Calvin's on the advice of our concierge.a nice combination of American , Thai, and Korean dishes. I was able to make a nice meal out of their small plate appetizers. The soft shell crab on Arugula salad was killer. The Shrimp and lemongrass broth soup was wonderful. I had a Pisco Sour that was quite good, but small in size for $10. My neighbor had the Pineapple Fried Rice, and it could feed two. I'll be back!

Visited June 2013
Glasgow, Montana
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Food is fantastic, service is great! Make sure you try the crispy beef along with their own Fusion Martini!

Visited May 2013
Melbourne, FL
“Rocking curry!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Don't let the outside or neighborhood dissuade you from going in. Inside is lovely and fun decor and food that is so good. We had three orders of green (spicy) curry: tofu, extra vegetables, and shrimp. Best curry ever. One order of mussels which were great. Wine by the glass was BOGO and very good Cabernet to boot.

Calvin's has a parking lot so it's easy to make this a must visit stop.

Dinner for four w wine was $88.

• Visited May 2013