“I'm in Love with a Restaurant”
Review of KR Steak Bar

KR Steak Bar
Ranked #373 of 4,310 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 4, 2014

This is my second visit to KR after a recommendation from the hotel concierge. It is quietly tucked away in a neighborhood. Very cozy and romantic. The decor and the lighting made for a very relaxing evening. Our server recommended the meatballs and boy was he on point. They had a smoky taste and covered in a white ( not red) sauce and parmesan cheese. ( I'm blushing now) These are a must!! He also recommended the brussel Sprouts ( and I hate brussel sprouts) but these I loved. I order the half chicken on the 1st visit which was wonderful but a hefty portion. 2nd visit, ordered the Garganelli which was excellent!! I do not prefer spicy dishes but the jalapeno in this dish just gave a hint of spice. Never made it to dessert yet but it's on my to do list. Maybe the 3rd time will be a charm and I know I won't be dissapointed. As far as service, both the server and the maitre' D remembered us and the dishes we ordered from our 1st visit which was a month prior. I am a former customer service professional so I was VERY impressed by their attentiveness. I don't know if there is a such thing as a restaurant crush but KR Steak Bar has my love.

Date of visit: November 2014

Reviewed October 13, 2014

Warehouse dining is a popular thing in Atlanta, these days, and some do it better than others. KR Steak Bar is a well conceived space that works. It's dimly lit, which creates a nice dining atmosphere, but it also hides a more minimalist eye for decor. Chairs are schoolhouse style, but not uncomfortable. Corrugated fiberglass backlit walls make for a nice mood.

Service was comfortable, attentive, and pleasant. Recommendations were spot on. Wine cost is a bit high, but the pairing suggestions was a good one.

The Burrata (Beets, Pumkin Seeds) did not wow us, but it was a well prepared, well conceived offering . The Salumi Misti and Farmaggi Misti are overpriced for what is delivered. But those were our only real "issues" with the offerings.

The Pork and Beef Ragu was excellent, with wide pasta and excellent flavors. We ate it all.

The Fliets are excellent. Their small, but the braised leeks and garlic class up the cut nicely. The exterior crusting was a nice touch. Some would argue that it was over done on the exterior, but we felt like it really enhanced the flavor of the meat. For a real treat, the Shell Steak is fabulous.

Sides are ample, and you can split one or two. The Potatoes and Trumpet Mushrooms were excellent.

Dessert was nicely done. Pumpkin gelato was smooth and not overly sweet, and a very nice way to end the meal. The Chocolate Budino is delightful.

I note in other reviews some complaints about noise. When were dined, the noise was at a minimum. We had no trouble conversing, and the width of the booths provided excellent spacing between our table and the one behind us. I suppose if the bar area is full of patrons, it could be noisy, but we didn't have that experience. It was, instead, a very relaxing and pleasant meal.

Wine cost is too high, but other than that, we felt like the meal was a good value. The service was truly excellent.

2  Thank TripTipDad
Reviewed October 5, 2014

We expected a lot since this is a Rathbun restaurant and were so disappointed. The place is nicely done but is loud; one of the managers moved us farther from the hub but it still required LOUD speaking to hear each other. The tables wobbled and one of us almost had a glass of water - or 4 - in his lap. The food was so unworthy of what one in Atlanta thinks is Rathbun quality - first course meatballs: cold. Next course, 4 of 4 entrees COLD. I sent my pasta back for reheating and though it did have steam coming from it when it landed, inside was still lukewarm. Only one glass of chardonnay was available at the by-the-glass option; the pour was embarrassing LITTLE. We won't go back, nor we will advise anyone else to try it.

Reviewed October 5, 2014

We took some very good friends to a return visit to KR Steak Bar on Thursday night and we were wowed again! From the selection of meats and cheeses we enjoyed as an appetizer...to the Tonnarelli...to the Filet...to the incredible Shell Steak...everything was a winner. Its nice to know that we can return time and time again and receive a consistently great meal. If I lived in the Buckhead or Midtown area this would be one of our "go to" places on a weekly basis. If you haven't tried it yet you don;t know what you're missing!

Reviewed October 4, 2014

Not worth the money.....loud restaurant...chairs and tables sub standard...portions small even the alcohol...would not recommend...too many great restaurants in Atlanta to give in to this one.