“"Excellent Beef, Pasta, and Service"”
Review of KR Steak Bar

KR Steak Bar
Ranked #366 of 4,327 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2014

Last night my wife and I were invited by some very special friends for dinner at this very fine restaurant. As regulars they suggested the "Chef's Pick" for the evening for the table and what a great decision it was. The first course a selection of salami's and pickled vegetables was very nice...the second course were two pasta dishes...the Tonnarelli and another black pasta with chili peppers and crabmeat. Both were excellent but the Tonnarelli was very, very special. After a Limoncello sorbet intermezzo we enjoyed four beautiful entrees including the Shell Steak, the Swordfish, the Calabrian Chili and Vinegar Chicken, and the Rib-Eye. All were very good but the Shell Steak was our favorite. For dessert we enjoyed a nice sampling of four desserts. In addition to all the great food...the service was very friendly and most attentive. Although this was our first time at this restaurant it won't be our last. If you're looking for wonderful steak, pasta, and service for a very good value in Atlanta...look no further!

Date of visit: August 2014

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Went here on a Thursday evening after event at ADAC - it is right next door. Valet parked, very comfortable atmosphere, nice waiter.
We each had the filet with potatoes & rapini (green veggie like broccoli raab), nice wine. Everything was very tasty & I would go back again.

Date of visit: August 2014
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Finally made it over to KR Steak Bar, and wish I had gone sooner! Restaurant decor was beautiful, as was the bar. Drinks made very well, martini's with ice crystals they were so cold. Appetizers were wonderful. Our four top shared the steak for two and halibut, perfect size to fill us up. Our waiter was wonderful and very attentive. Another home run for the Rathbun team!

Date of visit: May 2014
1  Thank cline85ga
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We visited KR Steakbar for Buckhead restaurant week last night. I’ve never been so I was excited to go. It is located in an odd little neighborhood (quite nice) that I’ve never been to. You look like you are going through residential space and then all of a sudden you come up on it. It is easy to miss. We valeted, but I think they have self-service parking unfortunately there were no signs saying that so we just opted to valet.
They were quite busy when we arrived early with reservations and we were told it would take a little while. We sat at the bar. The outside patio looked fantastic. It is a very nice dining option. I really liked how the place was decorated. It seemed modern and hip. We were seated a little past our reservation time, but nothing so long that it was annoying.
Many folks talk about the noise and it is a little loud, but we had no problem having a conversation. Not the place if you are looking to have a quiet dinner though. The music seemed hip and it was not overly loud as I’ve read in some reviews. We were seated at a table and it was very comfortable.
The service though out the night was good and what you would expect from a restaurant like this. Detail oriented and helpful.
They brought out four slices of bread and oil. The bread was very good with a nice salting to it. The oil was just oil but it was good paired with the bread. For our appetizers on the tasting menu we went with the Carpaccio and the Arancini. We both agreed the Arancini was the better of the dishes though neither was bad. The Arancini were two large breaded balls that were delicious and the pasta sauce as very good. The Carpaccio was yummy as well though and if you are a fan of it I would not steer you away.
We both had our hearts set on the Pappardelle Bolognese for the main course so we were a little boring and ordered the same thing. The good news was it was fantastic! The pappardelle noodles were really good. I tend to not be impressed by Italian because it all taste the same but I think I just need to try better restaurants because this was really good. The Bolognese sauce was very flavorful. No extra cheese or pepper etc needed it was flavored perfectly. By far the start of the night.
For dessert I ordered the milk chocolate semi freddo and my date ordered the almond cake. We agreed we liked them both. The Rhubarb on the almond cake was a little odd. Not something I enjoyed and with the semi freddo I really enjoyed the rich caramel but the shortbread was limited. They were two very small rectangle pieces. I could have used two more small ones to enjoy it more.
I did not leave hungry. Between all three courses I was full and not overstuffed.
Kevin was there that night and was kind enough to stop by multiple tables and check in. He did not stop by ours but on the way out he was holding the door open and seemed very polite. I would not hesitate to go back and try other options on the main menu.

Date of visit: May 2014
1  Thank soitgoes14
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I am not sure where to start, there are good and bad with the food and the service. The restaurant itself is noisy and was not a good choice for a couples dinner. The chairs are hard and uncomfortable, but the booths looked to be much better.

The restaurant presents itself as an Italian steakhouse. The arancini were absolutely fabulous, as was the papperdelle ragu. However, the crostini was so hard as to require gnawing to bite through the bread. This was not the worst, though. My husband ordered scallops, which were served cooked on only one side, and pretty much raw.

The veal that I ordered was originally served cooked well done, instead of medium rare as ordered. I was unable to even cut through the meat with a steak knife. This was the first time I have sent food back in more than 5 years. It was replaced with a correctly cooked portion. However, this cut of veal just seemed to be difficult to eat with gristle and bone.

Finally, the entrees are al a carte, so we ordered side dishes. The fingerling potatoes
were just the worst potatoes for $ 11. They were cooked whole and topped with a sticky glob of greens and mayo. Poor presentation and no flavor.

Now, I would like to say that every staff member was amazing, except for our server. She never returned after dropping off the plates. Someone else noticed that I was not eating and handled replacing the veal. Our meal was completed and plates removed before she returned, with the check.

For $175+, we were very disappointed.

Date of visit: April 2014