“Death at the Doo-Wop” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Murder Mystery Company - CLOSED

The Murder Mystery Company
More attraction details
Owner description: Blue Mark Studios, an innovative artist cooperative, special events venue and art gallery located in West Midtown, Atlanta. The Murder Mystery Company performs its 2 1/2 hour and interactive shows where someone will die in a comedic way and its up to your party to investigate clues, interrogate suspects and ultimately solve the crime! It's like being in a live-action version of the game CLUE! Murder, Mystery and a lot of laughs are waiting for you.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Death at the Doo-Wop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I've been to a professional Murder Mystery dinner before, and my wife's been to Agatha's, and that's in addition to a couple of murder parties we've had with friends, so I hope our opinion holds some weight, but we really enjoyed this production. The actors were talented and high spirited. Then, from each table, a diner was chosen to act out a part, and a few of those folks were amazing (In fact, one woman - chosen to play a little girl - was so good that I thought that she was one of the actors at first). Now, concerning the dinner: you don't go for the dinner. Does that mean that the food is bad? Not at all. If you want a choice meal, go to a restaurant. Just remember: these sort of things are only as good as you allow them to be. If you allow yourself to be engaged and chat with your fellow diners and the actors, you'll have a great time, but if you want to be a bump on a log, then this isn't for you.

PS - About the Location - We went in early January and had no heating trouble. The facility, Blue Mark Studios - is a restored church and works well for large groups. Now, parking is on the street, but it was a side street, so traffic wasn't an issue. Finally, the area is industrial / commercial, not high-end, but far (very, very far) from the worst you'll find in Atlanta.

Visited January 2013
7 Thank Bobby D

Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Bad neighborhood. Bad acting. Bad food. No heat.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I went here with a group. Upon entry the Caesar salad was on the tables already, our waitress had long blonde hair and as she spoke to us she leaned over all the salads. Of course, upon further inspection we found a long strand of blonde hair on the table beside one of the salad plates - eeeewww. It was freezing inside and it only got worse as the night wore on. My title tells the tale. The food was gross and I spent 90% of my night being entertained by my iPhone, the other 10% I spent trying to pick through my disgusting plate of food. Agatha's has nothing to fear as far as competition is concerned. Oh! I forgot to mention the unisex restroom. Weird. I didn't even pay for the experience (company Xmas dinner) but felt they should have paid me for 3 hours I would never get back. Don't waste your time at this place.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank A M
Atlanta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Even with a Living Social deal I paid too much!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I had been to Agatha's (another murder mystery theater) recently and had a great time. So when my husband ran across The Murder Mystery Company on Living Social we decided to give it a try.

First off the venue is really strange. It's like a old house or community building in a part of Atlanta not typically known for entertainment. Not at all what I was expecting. If it wasn't for the group of folks standing out front dressed like flappers & gangsters I would have probably driven past it. It was poorly lit inside and because it's an old building it had an old building smell to it.

We were seated with a nice family and started on our first course which was a Caesar salad. It was actually pretty good. Then we waited a long time for the thing to actually start. The instructions weren't very clear or maybe it was because the sound system wasn't that great and with everybody talking I couldn't understand what was going on. So as things are finaly getting started they begin to serve dinner. Odd timing as the folks that had been given parts barely got a piece of food in their mouths before they had to go up to the stage area. The food wasn't very warm to begin with so it was probably inedible by the time they got to sit back down. Dinner was an awful looking piece of chicken and some noodles with tomato sauce. There was a small side of pitiful broccoli.

I won't go into all the details of the show itself but it pretty much goes like this, the "actors" act out a small scene, then everyone else gets up and walks around asking each other for clues or secrets. Most people didn't know what was going on and was just talking amongst themselves. Then there is another small scene and then everyone walks around again looking for more secret clues. Oh, there was dessert too. A piece of store bought chocolate cake. Nothing spectacular. Then you try to guess who was the murderer and why. At this point I could have cared less and was just ready to get out of there.

Overall, very confusing show with bad lighting, bad acoustics and bad food. Even with my Living social deal I felt ripped off. All I could think about is the million other things I could have done with my $60.

Visited October 2012