“Great little restaurant!”

The Spence
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Complimentary valet drop off directly in front of the restaurant on Fifth Street.
Montreal, Canada
“Great little restaurant!”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This little find was literally right across the Georgia Tech and Conference hotel. I simply crossed the street and discovered this little gem. Great food- French cuisine with a twist-couldn't decide what to eat from them menu. I had the foie-gras dish and the black ink pasta- delicious! The ambiance was nice and waiter was pleasant and helpful.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Despina H

Asheville, NC
“Oh My God!!'”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Oh my God what a treat. Okay, we're Richard Blaise France's, from Top Chef, but we had average expectations going in. We got there at 7:00 on a busy Saturday night and were greeted by two friendly hostesses. We waited about two minutes and were shown to a table.

Tim, our server greeted us promptly and took drink orders. We ordered the Privateer Crutch Gin drink which was delicious. Ordered appetizers Oysters and Pearls and Kampachi Sashimi. The oysters were so good we ordered another.

For mains we had a short rib and a lamb sirloin with a bottle of Gigondas. The food was amazing. The depth of flavors incredible but subtle... We also ordered an order of the Brussels Sprouts with Thai Vinegar- Wow this was the best part of the meal, sorry! My Mom would be proud, we ate every bit they were so good.

The Gigondas was sublime and a real bargain. We don't live in Atlanta but I encourage anyone who visits to order this wine as it is an amazing value.

We don't normally order dessert, but the orange oil cake sounded good and was delicious. This was probably one of our favorite meals ever, having eaten at Le Bernardin, The French Laundry, Jean George's, Guy Savoy et al. Tim, our server was incredible!,

Don't miss this place!!!

• Visited February 2014
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Great start, downhill from there”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Our expectations as we entered the space were high and the service and first course met those expectations. The Oysters were some of the best we've had as was the Squid Ink Rigatoni. The second and main courses unfortunately were good at best and a little disappointing based on what was described on the menu. The wine list was varied with something for most everyone. Our waiter was good when she was around but as the meal wore on it was more difficult to receive timely service.

• Visited February 2014
Atlanta, GA
“Every detail of the meal was perfect”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Wow is all I can say. Sometimes these celebrity restaurants can be over-hyped, but I can tell you that the Spence is everything you would expect it to be. Clever, imaginative dishes, perfect portions, well-varied wine list, knowledgeable, friendly service, great ambiance. My husband and I went here last weekend for date night and LOVED every bite. Our server Adam was a self-proclaimed "wine nerd" who helped us find the perfect wine to suit our tastes and budget. He even let us sample a couple of wines before we chose a very reasonably priced and delicious Greek white wine that went very well with our lamb and squid ink rigatoni entrees.We also shared the bone marrow appetizer and kale Caesar salad, served promptly and all perfectly cooked (or raw) and delicious. We opted not to have dessert, but there were four or five desserts that looked like an interesting combo of flavors and textures. The ambiance was lively, and the lights were low. We will definitely return!

• Visited January 2014
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Walking in the decor was really neat and the atmosphere fun! Sadly, it was downhill from there. Our first few appetizers were really good. Then our waitress disappeared and we had to flag down a hostess to continue ordering and for drinks. The main dishes were unmemorable and not that great. There was a side dish of squash brûlée that was amazing!!! The chocolate cake dessert was not bad or good. A huge disappointment was the terrible service...wish I could blame crowd but even on a Friday night it was not very packed. I was such a big fan of Richards...so sad with the result of the restaurant. On my next trip to Atlanta I will return and hope it was just a bad night!!!

1 Thank Kctx123