“You would expect a conference center to be prepared for a conference...”

Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Hands-down the worst check-in experience I've ever had. You would the a "hotel an conference center" would be prepared for a conference of several hundred people. Check-in for the conference was from 1-5pm. Check-in for the hotel was supposed to be at 4. The first conference session was from 5-7:30 pm, and as of 5:00 pm no one had their rooms. The front desk keeps blaming their cleaning staff on the lack of room availability - really? At 5 in the afternoon?! Now they have a lobby full of people who are tired after traveling and want nothing more than to freshen up before they have to meet with their industry peers. Some I these people haven't even had a chance to eat all day. The worst part is that because of the conference, I had no option to stay anywhere else, otherwise believe me - I would have. I've been here twice before for conferences a few years ago and it wasn't nearly this bad. Please do NOT book this hotel for your conference!! They do not know how to handle it, nor do they understand basic customer service!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Ethernj
GaTechHotelRevMgmt, Public Relations Manager at Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback form your most recent stay with us. We would like to apologize first and foremost for the unacceptable wait you experienced during your check in prior to your meeting. As the popularity of our hotel continues to grow we have experienced considerable high occupancies on weekends that may traditionally been a little slower. We have taken this opportunity to re-evaluate the departure and arrival process on days of high occupancy turns and would like to thank you for sharing your frustrations with us so only the highest level of customer service is our focus allowing us to better serve our customers. We are committed to making improvements across all areas of the hotel and have shared your comments with our entire team.

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Recently had a work conference at the GT Hotel. Rooms were nice, meals and snacks were plentiful, and the customer service was really top notch. Falisha at the Front Desk and Jamarr on the Bar provided excellent, friendly, pleasant and professional service, as did the housekeeping staff and all other staff we interacted with.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are delighted that we made you feel at home and would like to thank you for staying with us. We will share all of your comments with our entire team.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

The staff was very nice-no complaints there. However, the internet was horrible! You would think a conference center would have the best internet available to guests-but when I called to ask about the internet problem, they told me this was what was available! I have better internet capabilities at home! This is unacceptable, especially since this hotel caters to conferences. The rest of the facilities were average. Nice room- seen nicer with regular hotel stays in Atlanta. They politely advised all guests that due to the snow storm they would be short of staff and they would only be able to fix beds the following day-not a problem, at least this is understandable. I did find extra soap and towels, which was appreciated due to these unforeseen circumstances. All in all, not the best hotels I have stayed at, in Atlanta.

2  Thank Despina H

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us. As unfortunate as the most recent snow storm was we want to thank you and all our guest we had the privilege to serve during those four days for your patience and understanding. We will share all of your comments with our entire team and hope that should your travel plans bring to back to Midtown, Atlanta you allow us the opportunity once again to be your gracious host.

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

On check-in my bath room had dirty towels on the floor and water in the bathtub. The following night the WiFi wasn't working.

I know that the unexpected can happen with WiFi, but don't understand how the bathroom thing could've happened.

Now, the good part. The front desk was very helpful in addressing both issues. Have seldom seen staff at the front desk so professional.

Hotel conveniently located. Plenty of resultants within walking distance.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank FrankieNice06
GaTechHotelRevMgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us. It is our goal to strive to exceed every customers expectation and would like to apologize for the mishaps you experienced during your stay. We take very seriously both issues that you encountered and have shared them with the appropriate members of our team. We will share all your comments with our entire team.

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference event. Location is great, plenty of good restaurants nearby. Rooms were clean, but boring for such a new hotel. I predict this place will be getting poor reviews w/in 2 years simply due to bland decor. The restaurant & bar have very little appeal. The service was fine, not too many smiles though... The front desk feels doesn't seem too happy either. Overall, new, clean and boring. Thank goodness there are decent places nearby to enjoy your time in a great city.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us. Please accept our apology for the not making every effort to exceed your expectation while you were our guest. It is indeed our mission to go above and beyond to make every customer feel that they are indeed staying at the best hotel in the Midtown Atlanta market. We will share your feedback with our entire team and hope that should your travel plans bring you back to the area you will gives us another opportunity to earn back your business.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel has the best staff of any hotel I have ever been to!!!! I was taking a class in one of the conference rooms. I wasn't staying at the hotel yet they still treated me like I was a king. I was having class during the snow storm the week of January 27th. I tried to get to my hotel but the interstate was jammed and the roads were so bad that I couldn't make it to my hotel. All the hotels in the city and surrounding were booked solid. I didn't have any place to go. I thought I was going to have to sleep in my car but I was wrong. The hotel staff gave me a cot to sleep on and let me sleep in one of the empty conference rooms. They gave me a key to the room just like it was my own room. They gave me a key to the shower room as well. They didn't treat me any different than they did the guests actually staying there. This is the best hotel I have ever dealt with and I travel for work so I stay in a lot of hotels. If you are considering staying at another hotel for the price difference its not even close to being worth it. This is the best hotel you will ever stay at!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all wonderful comments about your recent experience with the thousands of visitors to Trip Advisor. Although the circumstances involved terrible weather in Atlanta it allowed us the opportunity to try to make all our customers as comfortable as possible. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding and we are delighted we were able to try to make you feel right at home. We will share all your comments with our entire team and look forward to being your gracious host should your travel plans bring you back to the Midtown Atlanta area.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I arrived at the Georgia Tech Hotel and Convention Center the Tuesday morning of the 'Great Snow' (yeah - all 2 inches). The facility is clean, modern and staff are friendly and helpful. My room was clean and quiet. I was pleased.

Tuesday evenng and Wednesday the city shut down. The hotel operated admirally. I was not aware of any 'hiccups' which hindered service or operations. The hotel did ask for understanding for reduced housekeeping activities. The replenished and refreshed my towels. I was perfectly understanding of not making my bed (I don't at home).

Breakfasts and lunches were available in a large open dining area in a buffet style. Food was adequate, some items great and others so-so. This location facilitates meeting, eating on site and get back to work.

Cab fare from Atlanta Hartsfield airport is ~$37.00 flat fee (my co-worker paid). On the return to the airport, I took the MARTA for $2.25 + $1.00 for a reloadable fare card. The N3 station on 8th Avenue was 4 blocks from the hotel entrance. MARTA takes you right to the airport with no further transfers or substantial walking required.

The area does have restaurants available for evening dining, should you elect to eat outside the convention center.

The convention center does have a small bar/cocktail lounge. Wine selections were below average (I'm a wine guy).

Otherewise, a solid choice for meetings and even the plain hotel stay, if needed.

Room Tip: If you're arriving early and need to get into a room to change before an early afternoon meeting...