“Great Place for Families”

LEGOLAND Discovery Center
and up
LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Atlanta
Ranked #46 of 293 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Owner description: LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Atlanta offers a fun, highly interactive and educational 2-3 hour indoor experience, ideal for families with children 3-10 years old. Based on the ever-popular LEGO® brick, LEGOLAND Discovery Centers provide a range of interactive play areas, including 4D cinema; master classes from the LEGO Master Model Builder; exciting LEGO rides, such as an interactive and immersive ride called Kingdom Quest; special party rooms for birthdays and other celebrations; as well as the popular MINILAND exhibit designed to reflect the iconic buildings and skyline of Atlanta.
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We decided to take our little family to Legoland Discovery Center on a Sunday. Our kids our almost 2 and 4.5 years. Overall, we loved the experience, although we did have a few cons. I've listed an overview of what to expect and some tips for first-timers;

1. Location: Legoland is located in Phipps Mall, which is a swanky place (think Tiffany's). The parking is free and there's easy access. It's located on the 3rd floor, and takes up most of the square footage. There is a Moe's Southwest Grill, Johnny Rockets, and Subway across from them. No other eateries except those.

2. Tickets: You can purchase your tickets online or upon arriving. It's a better deal if you pre-purchase if you know which day you are going. Plus, Lego likes to offer deals like a BOGO or big discount if you purchase early. I got our tickets BOGO!

3. Lanyards: There is a fun activity pack for a reasonable price (it was $4 at our visit) for kids (or adults!) to record the areas they've visited. You can find stamp stations all over the center. If you collect all the stamps, you get a small souvenir. My 4 yr old got excited every time he found a stamp station. We didn't allow him to stamp his pack until he finished the activity. This allowed him to get a "reward" for completing the task.

4. Layout:

** You'll first enter into a lobby area with two yellow doors. A cartoon is playing on the TVs asking you to wait for the professor to arrive. I was expecting someone in a lab coat to enter and get the crowd excited and even show something cool about Legos. I was rather disappointed that when the doors opened, there was no introduction...Just an employee telling us we could come in. I was also annoyed that we weren't told we needed to wait and that it could take up to 30 minutes. I understand they do this to avoid large crowds, and I certainly appreciate them spreading the visitors out so everyone can have a front row seat. But expect to wait if you don't catch them about to open the doors. I would suggest having a game or video on a tablet to keep the kiddos entertained until it's your turn. Otherwise, you'll have kids climbing over all the Lego displays!

**After walking through a lab to push buttons and turn wheels to show how Legos are made, you'll get a chance to ride through a game. This game is around 7 minutes long and is medieval themed. There are 4 people to a car, and it goes slow enough for all ages (my daughter got to ride and she's 2). You get a toy gun and have a chance to shoot the spiders, bugs, and bad guys (it's Lego so not really that bad) along your ride to help the knights. Your score is recorded on the car, but you do not get a print out. At the purchase you can view a photo that was taken while on your ride.

**The next stop is the Ninjago laser game. You get to go through a "training center," which is a small hallway where you have to navigate through lasers without touching them. Upon exiting, you find another game with colors on the wall. You choose one of four colors and compete with another opponent. Both have to whack the most of their colors in a certain time (think whack-a-mole).

**The next room is a miniland of Atlanta. This is merely an area to view Lego-sized landmarks of Atlanta. Some parts are moving. Every few minutes the time changes in Miniland from day to night.

**You are know entering the largest part of the center. This large room has stations all throughout. A Lego store anchors the room. A cafe (with Atlanta Bread pre-packaged meals) are available to purchase. We didn't eat here because A. it was overpriced and B. my kids wouldn't enjoy the sandwich choices. There is a Merlin's ride (think Dumbo's flying elephant ride) where an adult and child can ride together for about 5 minutes. The more you pedal your car, the higher you go. The child seat is in the inside of the car...it will tilt just slightly when you are in the air. My son didn't care for the feeling of being up so high tilted, but it was a fun ride. You can always stay on the ground as it goes around. Don't worry...it won't go fast enough to get sick.

The rest of the area houses a huge Lego City Fire Station playhouse (socks are required); a build and test race track; 4D cinema; lab (this costs extra, but I think you take what you built); Lego Friends house (complete with karaoke machine (this is where the parents can shine!); earthquake test (for Legos--not you!); and a Lego Duplo tot area.

The Duplo are was so fun for my 2 year old. It's a small area off the cafe that has a slide and big soft foam Lego bricks. And yes, they actually can be connected just like regular Legos to build something. She loved being among the Lego pit. This are is only for ages 2-5. However, my son seemed a bit too big even though he was only 4.

Overall, the center is a great place to go for a family fun day. I feel to fully enjoy the whole center, your kids should be between ages 5-12. Otherwise, they'll be limited to what they can do. You can bring strollers and stay as long as you like. You can even return to some favorite parts, but it is a bit tricky to get to them. I would suggest coming as soon as they open to avoid large crowds. By the time we left around 2pm, it was getting busy.

The Lego Store is really nothing exclusive to the center. All the sets can be found at other stores. I really wish they would've had some apparel with the Atlanta logo on them. I would've loved to have gotten a t-shirt for the kids. We ended up only have the activity pack on the lanyard (with the stamps) as a souvenir.

I also was wondering if the center had a meet-n-greet with some Lego characters. I would've loved to see some favorites from the Lego Movie or just a general character (like a ninja, knight, etc) to take pictures. I guess this is only available at the theme parks. Speaking of Lego Movie, they did not have any references to the movie. There is probably some royalty/licensing fee they have to pay in order to have something, but it would be nice to create a small area for them!

Definitely go and see for yourself. It's meant to bring families together and be creative! Parents, please be mindful of others visiting. Be sure to remember the age limits of some rides. I encountered a few families that allowed their kids to run through the Duplo area, which made it unsafe for the little ones. In order to have a good time, you should also respect others who are just as excited to be there as you.

12  Thank etburgh
Penda M, General Manager at LEGOLAND Discovery Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Hi,

Thank you very much for posting your review of your recent experience with us. We are very glad to hear that your family enjoyed your visit, and we greatly appreciate the feedback you provided regarding the attraction.

We do have Meet and Greets with characters throughout the year at the attraction. This weekend we are having a Meet and Greet for The LEGO Movie, and we are excited for the children and families to be able to interact with Emmet and Wyldstyle. We are also working to add to some more specialized items to our retail store, so be on the look out for that in the future.

We very much appreciate you providing your feedback on your visit. We hope that you and your family visit again very soon!

Thanks

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

This is not what we were expecting. There were tons of Legos out, but not nearly enough of the pieces you needed to build the cars for the racetracks. It felt dirty and smelled funny everywhere. We will not be back!

3  Thank Kristen W

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your visit. I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your experience, and that it did not live up to your expectations.
We are working hard to keep the LEGO brick replenished throughout the day, and we are also working on improving the Build and Test area of the attraction. We hope that our guests are able to better enjoy those areas as we improve them.

We very much appreciate all customer feedback regarding the attraction, as our top priority is guest enjoyment. If you would like to further follow up, please call 404-848-9252 and ask to speak with the General Manager Penda. Thank you again for posting your review of your recent visit with us.

Looking foward to speaking with you.

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Meals are overpriced, pre - made sandwiches, not ideal for picky 5 year olds. You can't leave, eat and return. Must stay in until party is ready to go. Nothing fancy except theatre is pretty cool. The line for Merlin ride was a bit crazy and your tots, preschoolers and kindergartners may actually be a bit bored. The staff is friendly, for sure. Would not return unless child begged me to go. :)

Hi,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent visit to LEGOLAND Discovery Center Atlanta. We are glad to hear that you found our staff enjoyable while you were here, but we are sorry to hear that you would not return after your visit. We have just redone our Café, and we hope that our guests enjoy our new options from Atlanta Bread Company in the future.

We value our customer feedback very much, and we take each suggestion in to account when making adjustments and improvements to the attraction. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I don't have a complaint about the attraction itself. The kids, ages 7, 5 and 2 loved it. I had a question so I called and also emailed before our visit on July 10th. When I called I got a recorded message, saying the person was away from their desk or on the phone.is on the phone. I left a message. I understand that this happens, but I would expect to have a return call but I have yet to hear back from anyone. Same with the email. I have had an issue since that date, called and again got the recorded message, left a message and again have not had a return call. There needs to be a number that can be called to actually speak to a person, or at least answer inquiries!! Will try again.

3  Thank Rosemary J
Penda M, General Manager at LEGOLAND Discovery Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Thank you for posting your review of your recent visit to LEGOLAND Discovery Center Atlanta. We are very happy to hear that your children enjoyed their time here. We apologize greatly that you were unable to reach someone before your visit. We receive a very high volume of calls on a daily basis, and we try our hardest to return phone calls in a timely manner. We are very sorry that you were not able to speak with someone. We are working hard to improve our phone system, and we hope to improve that experience for our guests very soon.

We very much appreciate your feedback. We hope that your family will return soon to visit. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review.

Thansk again

Reviewed July 13, 2014

My children are true Lego fans, so they really enjoyed the Discovery Center. It was a great way to spend a few hours. There are a couple of rides and games. It also has a theatre and a play area. Before you go look and see if you can find some coupons. We found some for kids go free with a paid adult. This made it more affordable.

2  Thank Mom0306

We appreciate your feedback on your recent visit to LEGOLAND Discovery Center Atlanta. We are so happy to hear that your family had a great time during their visit to the attraction. We hope that your children were able to check out all of the areas of the center and that they had plenty of time to build and play.

We have new and exciting things going on all the time here at LEGOLAND Discovery Center Atlanta, so be sure to come back and see us. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review. We hope to see you and your family again soon!