“Get a Room AWAY from the Elevator!”

Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel
Ranked #76 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Boca Raton, Florida
“Get a Room AWAY from the Elevator!”
Reviewed January 30, 2011

In my 46 years, this was the first time I had ever had to change rooms twice in one night at a hotel. After a very short shuttle ride from the Airport, and easy check in at the front desk, as a Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest, I was put in a Club level floor at the hotel. Nice room. Stayed for about 30 minutes until I had to call the Front Desk to complaint about the constant mechanical noise. They explained it was the elevator going up and down, and I realized on the other side of the wall of my room was the elevator. Ridiculous! While in the hallway, I ran into another guest switching rooms for the same reason. So, I went to another room, 2 rooms away from the elevator, and could still hear it clearly. So I switched again, and used a trick I learned from the airline pilots - always get a room at the end of the hallways away from foot traffic, elevators, ice machines, etc. It worked, I slept ok, but this was a truly disappointing experience, especially because my SPG profile explicitly stated I needed a quiet room.

Otherwise, staff was cordial, club lounge was pleasant, taxis were plentiful, and I heard no noise from the airport even though only a mile away.

I rarely do not recommend a hotel, but cannot recommend this one. Next time will stay at the Westin or other hotel nearby.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Panay, Manager at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
would like to express my sincere gratitude for your ongoing patronage and your very nice comments regarding our cordial staff, our Club Lounge, the availability of taxis, as well as our nice and quiet guestrooms in spite of the airport’s proximity to our hotel.
On the other hand, I would like to say that I am very regretful to hear that the noise issues you encountered were because your room was situated near the elevators. I have forwarded your valid concerns to our Director of Engineering to inspect our elevators, as well as to our Front Office staff to ensure to check our guests’ SPG profile and provide them with the appropriate room so that other valuable guests are not unnecessarily inconvenienced. I am very happy to read that you finally did receive a quiet room and you were able to get some rest!
Again, we appreciate your feedback, and hope that you will afford us another chance to welcome you back, since overall you did enjoy our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 27, 2011

The Bar and Grill restaurant located in this hotel had extremely poor service. There was no designated hostess- we waited quite a bit before a cook he came out from the back alerted a waitress of our presence. Once we were seated, we noticed what seemed to be very little staff present for the amount of guests. Our waitress accidentally dumped our chips and salsa (not a big deal, she apologized), but then continued to bring out the wrong meal to my husband. She did apologize, but then we waited probably 25 min before the correct meal came out. By this time I was done eating. She did not apologize at the end of the meal, nor did she offer any type of discount for all of the mixup. The food did discount.

Also no bartender present in the bar area. Not too many nice dining options in the immediate area. The next night we went to Ruby Tuesdays and had extremely good service.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Your posting is extremely valuable to us and we are appreciative that you took the time to let us know your concerns. We continuously use our guest’s remarks as a tool to make the necessary improvements. We are very sorry that our restaurant staff did not make amends for the inconveniences you incurred. I have passed on your comments to our Restaurant Manager for his input, corrective action and retraining of new staff. I can assure you that your experience is not indicative of the fine restaurant service we are consistently praised about, and hope that you will choose us again when your destination is Atlanta so we can prove to you otherwise.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We were happy with our brief stay here. We arrived early in the morning after an overnight flight and left very early the next dayfor another. We were given a room straight away, despite our early arrival, which we found clean and comfortable. The shuttle service was good. We used it to get to and from the airport and we were kindly taken to a local shopping area in the afternoon - all complimentary. The drivers were all friendly and we enjoyed chatting with them. We did not use the pool but had a quick look. The water felt warm.
We ate dinner at Ruby Tuesdays, just across the street. There were computers in the lobby which was handy for checking-in for flights. The location is good for the airport.
We had no complaints and would happily stay again next time that we are in the Atlanta airport area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Panay, Manager at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
We were very excited and were appreciative to read that you had a wonderful stay at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed our clean and comfortable guestrooms especially after travelling all night; we do hope you were able to get the much needed rest while you were here. Our hotel is indeed very close to the airport with excellent free shuttle service which makes it very convenient for our guests who need to be at the airport on time. Our computers in our Link @ Sheraton located in our lobby with free Wi-FI are a “big” plus for our guests as well. We thank you for choosing us and hope that when your travels bring you back to the Atlanta area you will stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again!
Statesboro, Georgia
Reviewed January 23, 2011

This was a very nice hotel with nice amenities. I stayed on the club level and had free h'or d'oeuvres and breakfast. The h'or d'oeuvres were nice, but the breakfast was mediocre.The hotel amenities were nice but it was a weekend of the national punt, pass, and kick competition so there were alot of kids. The jacuzzi was refreshing. We stayed the weekend of the playoff game at the dome, and after returning, the staff was very helpful and gave us coupons for a local delivery place. Good deal for the money.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
We were elated to have you stay with us while enjoying the “playoff” game at the Dome. We do have wonderful and efficient staff who always put our customers first, and I am ecstatic that they took care of your needs. We appreciate your compliments very much and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Gateway soon!
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed December 28, 2010

I stayed one night at the Sheraton Gateway which was an adventure to say the least. I am trying to be kind as I was given a special rate due to being invited by an airline, however special rate or not, the experience is the most important aspect.

The gentleman at the front desk was for lack of a better word, disinterested. He appeared quite bored, offered NO information whatsoever, and barely would look me in the eyes. When I enquired as to where to get the shuttle at 7AM, he merely waved to the escalator and said "over there." Not a lot of help. I did notice however that a travel-mate of mine checking in at the same time received a printout of arrival and departure times for the shuttle as well as some useful information.

Upon entering the room I found it overall clean, although the handles of both the entry sink and main bathroom sink were faulty. The cold water didn't work on either one which I fould peculiar. When I prepared the bed I found the bedding to be stained/spotted at the head of both beds - both on the duvet cover and sheet. So...faulty bathroom faucets and dirty looking bedding.

Lastly, there was a fire in a room on the second floor which of course was unexpected and unwelcomed by staff and guests. We were forced to leave our rooms at around 9PM and wait in the very cold lobby for about an hour and a half. The management finally after 45 minutes had F&B bring us cold drinks which was appreciated yet we still were left not knowing if we'd be able to return to our rooms at some point or what was going on.

By nearly 11PM we were allowed to go back to our rooms. Unfortunately for me I was in the wing on a lower floor that was engulfed with dreadful fumes from the fire and thus I had to shove a wet towel under the main door to stop the fumes. There was no apology from the mangement, nothing. A very unpleasant night.

Anyone who has read my reviews knows that I have stayed in hotels all over the world, however I have to be honest and say this property just does not stand up to the standards expected by Sheraton in any way.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Panay, Manager at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
We certainly would like to thank you for your candid feedback! I am very sorry for the incidents that have transpired during your stay and have made sure that our Operation team was made aware for their review and corrective action. Please feel assured that the series of events that you endured are by no means an indication of the great Sheraton Gateway service and product that we are known and praised for consistently. We hope that you will afford us another opportunity so that we can provide you with the great experience you deserve.
Brunswick, Georgia
Reviewed December 22, 2010

This hotel is in need up remodeling, dusting, toilet repair and an exterminator! The photos and lobby are misleading. The room was musty, the bathroom was too small, the carpet was tattered and soiled. There was a bug on the old, scratched desk and when we called the front desk, they sent maintenance up with a bottle of window cleaner to kill it! Yes, window cleaner! Self parking is $9 and there is no valet parking. They charged our incidentals to the credit card on reserve although I stated in advance that we would pay cash. You can do a lot better for the same price, or just a little more---it would be worth it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 16, 2010

Comfortably appointed rooms; decent pillows; tea/coffee in room. Restaurant food mediocre and over priced. Only other walkable food option is Ruby Tuesday across the street; maybe some are ok, but this restaurant is NOT the best/cleanest. This hotel regretfully is not completely exempt from Atlanta's typical poor customer service attitude; it's like you are interrupting their day and you owe them on some subliminal level. That said, there is a very nice young man who works at the front desk, I think he's from Nigeria, his name escapes me, he is always pleasant and helpful. Shuttle bus runs regularly to airport. Free use of computers, internet & printer in lobby. There is a huge gap under every room door so you hear everything in the hallway; as for outside noise ... lovely and quiet. It's not recommended that you spend time on the streets in this locale after dark. There are just as good hotels with more dining options around but for a brief overnight; hot shower & clean bed, then yes, I'll recommend it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
We do appreciate your patronage and your nice compliments regarding our comfortable rooms, pillows, and guestroom amenities, as well as free Wi-Fi and usage of our computers/printers in our lobby. We are ecstatic to hear that our Front Desk agent was always pleasant and accommodating, and have passed on your very nice comments to him. I am glad that you were also satisfied with our shuttle service frequency to and from the airport. I will certainly forward your cleanliness issue remarks to the Ruby Tuesday’s Manager for his follow-up and resolution. We certainly want our guests not only to enjoy our hotel’s outlets, but to ensure that the local eateries are up-to-par as well. We thank you for staying with us and hope that you will visit us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Holiday Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport - North
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Atlanta Airport North
Hampton Inn Atlanta Airport
Hampton Inn Atlanta Airport
#5 of 26 in College Park

Been to Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!