“Quiet and Convenient”

Ranked #76 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Colorado
“Quiet and Convenient”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Sheraton Gateway is very, very near the Atlanta airport. It's a business-class, 3- or 4-star hotel with positives and negatives.

First, the positives. I received a very spacious and clean room with upscale, modern décor on the Club Floor. Although the hotel is very near one of the busiest airports in the world, the room was very quiet with almost no jet noise even though the floor to ceiling windows looked over the airport. Climate control was good. I always like being able to set a fan on high to generate white noise.

The room is large and well appointed. The bed very comfortable (although I'd prefer a mattress pillow). The flat screen TV and the single-cup coffee machine both worked well. The curtain and valance block almost all exterior light and darken the room nicely (with the exception of the hall light that streams in under the door ... see below).

The airport courtesy shuttle regularly arrives to and departs from the hotel about 4 to 5 times per hour and it’s only a 5-minute ride to the terminal. The hotel has about four elevators and they are speedy. The front desk clerk was efficient, but not particularly welcoming or friendly.

Now, the negatives. Unfortunately, my key didn't work, twice. The front desk made me come down to be rekeyed (even though there were three clerks at the front desk and no customers there). Then, the key didn't work the second time. Fortunately, a staffer passed by and let me in the room. The desk lamp had no bulb, but Ernest, from engineering, replaced it quickly.

Another negative is the hardware on the door (I guess to prevent breakins) makes it look more like a Motel 6 than a Sheraton. I was surprised by this. Also, the crack under the door in my room is nearly 3/4 of an inch. It lets in an amazing amount of light. If you want a darkened room, you'll have to put a towel or pillow against the door.

The bathroom is well appointed, but surprisingly small. I did not try the evening hors d'oevres or morning continental breakfast offered on the Club Level.

The main negative to this and other hotels in the immediate area is the real dining options. I didn't try the hotel restaurant given the negative reviews here. Fortunately, there is a Ruby Tuesday right across the street.

Wireless Internet access costs extra, which always gripes me to no end. Sheraton, just add it to the room fee and provide it for free like most of your competitors. Also, guests have to pay for parking (and this, unfortunately, is not made clear on website). At least the morning USA Today was complimentary.

Overall, the negatives led me to a 3-star rather than a 4-star rating.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
dedo48, Director of Front Office at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear ColoradoDoc;

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We are truly humbled by the kind words you have afforded our hotel.

Words cannot express how deeply sorry we are to learn that there were areas of opportunity that may have derogated from your confidence in our brand.

Rest assured knowing that we will immediately address these areas and ultimately ensure they are promptly ameliorated.

We truly appreciate your feedback and do look forward to welcoming back real soon.

Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Vancouver
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This hotel is perfect to accommodate lost souls that missed their flight connection as it is located near the Airport. I landed in Atlanta GA, late that night, and thanks to the cuts in Federal fundings, flights were late... In any case, after 10 pm, I didn't expect to find a first class restaurant near the airport, but at least, because of the "Sheraton" brand, a restaurant that didn't time travel: Salads dressed with pre-made industrial dressing that tasted like Hydrochloric acid mixed with artificial flavors and baking soda to avoid instant poisoning - Orange processed cheese that is plastic injection molded on a bun that will last a couple of centuries since it is laced with anti-mold and preservatives. A cousin of wonder Bread - Dry chicken swimming in a bath of creamy sauce, "fresh" out of the package ... needless to say I starved for $25.00. Useless to complain, we are in Pleasantville, the coloured version.
The room was clean and friendly and on my insistence, I didn't get charged for the Internet. Missed the $17.00 movie on the flat screen - The staff was pleasant and professional and obviously had no idea what I was talking about.
In the morning, at the take-out breakfast bar, I picked up a burned acid laced expresso and croissant and thankfully they had a microwave so I could turn the soft croissant into a warm mush.
1950 you say?

Room Tip: Find another hotel if you are hungry
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JeanMichel
dedo48, Director of Front Office at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear JeanMichel,

Thank you for your feedback.

We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

After reading your feedback, we are truly disappointed to learn that your restaurant experience did not represent our Brand. I will without a doubt share your feedback with our restaurant team, this will ensure all measures are implemented, administered and employed to avert future reoccurrence of your concern.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered and do hope you will give us another chance.

Tallulah Falls, Georgia
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wireless Internet access costs extra. Guests have to pay for parking (not made clear on website). Other *less* expensive airport hotels include these amenities in the price of the room.

Room coffee maker did not work. Continental breakfast not included with room (a staple for most travel hotels)... admittedly we left before 6am so there may have been a breakfast later. However, a hotel almost on the runway of "the world's busiest airport" should accommodate guests leaving at all hours.

I mentioned the non-functional coffee machine and my issues with the lack of clarity on parking charges at check-out. The staff member was professional and accommodating and told me to buzz him at the exit gate and he would open the gate without payment. When I tried this, the intercom failed on both exit gates (fortunately able to back up and try both). As he kept my ticket, I was unable to exit, had to repark, and go back to the lobby. The new attendant told me the parking intercom had been turned off for some reason. Was able to exit on second attempt. Fortunately, was not pushing flight deadline too closely.

Hotel is probably very good for corporate travelers on an expense account. The hotel has regular shuttle to airport and apparently allows (paid for) multi-day parking. However, the hotel is unnecessarily expensive for personal travel. Have had better experience at other, less expensive airport hotels. Will return to those again the next time we need a "night-before-the-flight" hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
dedo48, Director of Front Office at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear knowbd,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

Rest assured knowing that I have shared your feedback with the appropriate department. My fundamental goal and objective is to ensure all available resources are utilized to avert future occurrence of your concerns and ultimately secure your loyalty to our brand.

Dedo F Dixon
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The lobby area is like most upscale hotels, spacious, lots of marble and all of the amenities you need. They provide a shuttle to and from the airport which is very convenient and stress free. The room was very comfortable and the bed was very comfortable with great pillows.The only real drawback was the first day I had a car and the parking was very expensive with no alternatives available.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
dedo48, Director of Front Office at Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Louis015,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We are truly delighted by the extraordinary recognition you have afforded our hotel and its associates.

We are honored to have provided you with exceptional services and do look forward to your next visit.

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The is a nice hotel and located really close to the airport. I just think in 2013 it is crazy to charge $6.95 for 30 minutes of internet. Motel 6, Super 8 and most motel advertise free WIFI. $14.95 for 24 hours of wifi is a little out of date.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear J L W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We are truly saddened to have learnt that we did not exceed your expectations. Words cannot express how deeply sorry we are.

Rest assured knowing that I have shared your feedback regarding the internet with the appropriate depart and we will do all that is necessary to regain your confidence.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and do hope you will give us another chance.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Watch for thin walls at this location, else all good. Chatty neighbors at 1 am really wanted to party long an hard. Comfortable beds, good business center support and easy access to airport makes the difference.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear EricB

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We sincerely appreciate the accolades you have afforded our hotel and its associates.

Rest assured knowing that I have shared your feedback regarding the noise complaint with the appropriate party and we will do all that is necessary to regain your confidence.

Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a great time. My daughter had her bday sleepover and rooms allowed us enough space for a bunch of cheerleaders. It was very convenient to downtown but far enough from all the city noise. I couldn't really hear the airport either. That was an extra plus Nice stay

Room Tip: Check in as early as possible. This is a conference type hotel. So rooms book fast
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear built2vaca

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We are truly grateful for the recognition you have afforded our hotel and your mentioning of our speedy check in.

We are humbled to have provided you with exceptional services as we look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

Director of Front Office
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Holiday Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport - North
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Atlanta Airport North
Hampton Inn Atlanta Airport
Hampton Inn Atlanta Airport
#6 of 26 in College Park

Been to Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!