“Great Hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Marietta
Ranked #107 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed January 24, 2007

I first stayed at this hotel in 2005, when it was a Radisson. I knew it was an older hotel ONLY because I am trained in that area. It had just been completely remodeled. The lobby is nice and modern. The next time I went there, it was back in the Hilton family as a Doubletree. After the first time I stayed here, I decided I needed to look no further for a place to stay in Atlanta, and I do go there often. This is my home in north Atlanta.

The hotel personnel are very accommodating and friendly. The breakfast is good, and the rooms are wonderful and updated. Only a little giveaway to the age is the ventilation system in the bathrooms. I have not visited the pool area.

My last visit was for a class, and, having left something I needed at home, I had to order a new item to be overnighted. The staff made sure I received my package in time for my class.

This hotel is near the Galleria business center. It is next to I-75, just north of 285, so it is convenient, but with all the landscaping, trees, and hills, it feels like it is in the country and secluded. At the recommendation of the manager, I found Houston's, a wonderful restaurant, on Windy Hill, across the Interstate from the hotel. The filet mignon was so good, another class attendee joined me the next night for the very same meal and thought it was as good as I did. It is located near the business center, so it is quite busy for happy hour and after-work dinners. Also, the Barrett Parkway exit in Marietta is not very far north (approximately eight to ten miles). There are numerous restaurants and shopping there. The Cumberland Mall is not very far, and is undergoing a complete renovation.

The new Atlantic Station [--] is several miles from the hotel, near Midtown. It is also a short drive to downtown and CNN, Centennial Park, the Coca Cola Museum, and the Georgia Aquarium [--]. Turner Field is just off the interstate, too. A lot to see and do, and fairly convenient by being next to I-75!

From the location, one would expect it to be very noisy, especially with respect its location to the former Air Force base. There is a military plane every now and then, but they are very interesting to watch flying over. I have never heard one while inside the hotel, and I've stayed probably a total of two weeks there in the past two years.

The rooms are extremely nice and well decorated, and I've never slept in a more comfortable bed in a hotel. I typically don't go to spend all my time in the room, but here I don't want to leave the room. The Neutrogena toiletries are nice. There is wired internet access in the rooms, but I found I could access the wireless internet from my room. If one didn't bring a computer, there is always the business center downstairs.

I have recommended this hotel many times and will continue to stay here as many trips as I possibly can.

Stayed: November 2006
6  Thank kjmcaussies

Reviewed December 4, 2006

Stayed for 3 day/4 nights for the 4th of July weekend. Room was about $65.00/night through the Hilton website. There was a lot going on that weekend so I couldn't be accommodated for early check-in at 11:00am. I had to wait until 12:45pm before my reservation was available.

Once checked in I received 2 free vouchers for a free drink (any size) at their coffee shop for every morning of my stay. It's just past the lobby in between the restaurant/bar and business center. Every morning my gf got a large cafe con leche and I got a large chocolate milk since I'm not a coffee drinker.

The business center was almost always busy except during the middle of the day around 2-4'ish. There was a Baseball Tournament for College-Aged Kids and a Volleyball Tournament for MS girls always on the computers at night and first thing in the morning. There's about 3 pc's and one mac. Fortunately not one of them knew how to use the mac so I could always check my email and print some directions.

We went to go use the jacuzzi but were disappointed on how much cleaner it could be and got out very quickly. The pool is better than the jacuzzi but could be better overall. The worst thing is the all glass windows/doors in the business center face the jacuzzi so forget about privacy.

The bar area is really nice and modern. The bar tender was a good conversationalist. Prices were expected 4-7$ per drink. We had a mojito and margarita. The drinks were gooooood.

Restaurant's food was good, I got a "To go" breakfast. I don't recommend it. They don't quite pack it right or really do that service it seems like. Just get the room service, they're better at that. I thought it'd be a good idea since my gf takes a long time to get ready sometimes.

The room looked great, smelled good, and was clean. The bed was a big king size bed. Very comfortable. I always need my own pillow, but there are PLENTY of pillows on this bed. Its really nice and soft. However, the down comforter just absorbed too much heat so I was always sweaty in the morning. The last night I got the AC just right and only used a sheet. Slept GREAT!!! Could never hear the 4 college kids next door. EVER. I went out to get ice one time and they were yelling and screaming, but heard nothing in my room. The climate controls are on the wall and isn't the window unit deal. They work pretty quickly. The room comes with ironing board.

The bathroom has great materials and is pretty standard for a hilton brand. That's a good thing since it's pretty nice. All Neutrogena products that do get replenished every day. So hide them all in a drawer if you like hoarding that kind of thing. ;) I love the shower curtain, it bowed out so it never touches you.

Housekeeping always kept the room clean and we usually slept in just fine until about 10-11 or so. I even forgot a pair of jeans and khaki pants and had them mailed to me when I contacted the hotel.

Ok now the cookies.... YUMMY!!! You get 2 at check-in. Then every time you walk by the front desk and see a new person working, you ask them for more cookies, then every time they're so helpful by giving you directions, you ask for some more, and on checkout you ask for even more. For a total of 18 free cookies!!! They're warm delicious chocolate chip cookies. YUMMY!.

This place is a steal at under $70. It's a great place and I was pleased. I'd stay there again. Nice, clean, and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank UofLtraveler
Reviewed December 3, 2006

The lobby, restaurant and common areas appear to be recently remodeled and are very hip looking. The business center is probably the best I've seen anywhere. The staff service was very professional and friendly. Our room on the 6th floor was nice. It appeared to have been recently upgraded, was of average size for rooms these days, but still showed some underlying age.

The local AF base can be a little noisy if they have excercises but seemed to stop by 11:00PM when we were there.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank GeoBob
Reviewed October 29, 2006

My wife and I went to Atlanta to celebrate our 5th anniversary and we stayed at the Doubletree hotel for 2 nights. The hotel was very modern and the king room nice and spacious. The room had a decor and feeling of being home. The best feature of all was the comfortable king bed, with the Serta Elite plush pillow top mattress. It was the most comfortable rest that we have ever had at any hotel. We even plan on searching for the mattress for our home. The hotel staff was very friendly and courteous. We purchased the Dream Deal, which included a very nice daily breakfast. It was a very nice hotel stay and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MINSTRELMUSIC
Reviewed September 12, 2006

Our family of four traveled from Central Illinois to the Tampa, Florida area in August. We always use Priceline.com for our nightly stays while traveling. We stayed in Marietta, Ga last November while traveling to Disney World and loved the Hyatt Regency Hotel. When placing my bid on Priceline for this trip I received the Hyatt Regency again for $45 on the trip south. For our return trip our bid of $48 was approved by the Double Tree Hotel. We are very glad it was!
The first noticable difference between the two hotels (which are located at the same Interstate Exit) was that the Hyatt charges you to park in their lot. The Doubletree does not. And of course the Doubletree warm choc chip cookies are a nice touch at check-in.
The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet. The room had a King size bed, along with a very comfortable chaise lounge. The pool area was adequate, but in need of some cosmetic attention. But still very nice. The lobby offers several computers grouped at a large desk area for internet use in case you need to check email while away from your pc.
I'm hopeful that we'll be staying here again someday.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank gilesdad
Reviewed August 20, 2006

Let me start by saying that I wrote a prior glowing review of the Doubletree after we discovered it earlier this year. We just went back the weekend of August 19th, and it is still as beautiful as ever. Yes, the beds are wonderful; yes, the decor is perfect; yes, the rooms are clean and spacious. However, the one part of the stay that should be important, was AWFUL.

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon, for a lazy and relaxing weekend. We planned to sleep in on Sunday morning. Well, when we stayed here before, we had a problem with the maid knocking on our door at 8:30/9:00 to clean our room. I don't know about you, but there are times when I want to sleep in and take it easy. Well, because we had to make repeated calls down to the front desk the last time to get her to go away, we decided to post the "do not disturb" sign this time. Needless, to say, the same thing happened again! Around 9:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, she went up and down the hall yelling at the top of her voice "ROOM SERVICE." Because we had the "do not disturb" sign on our door, she waited to stop by until 10:30. CHECK OUT WAS AT 12:00.

Although we love every other thing about this hotel, we can't stand the fact that we can't stay past 9:00 a.m., without someone coming to disturb us. This is the one negative about this hotel that would keep me from staying there again -- and from warning everyone else to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank firstlove
Reviewed July 25, 2006

I booked this room online on the Hilton website for $55.00 so I wasn't sure what we were getting and I'm really picky so I was nervous. But from check in to check out we had a wonderful stay. We were greeted with warm chocolate cookies that were out of this world and went straight to our room. We had a king bed, a chaise lounge and desk & chair. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've slept on. The hotel was full of high school baseball players and we didn't hear a thing all night. Neutrogena products provided in bathroom. We've paid 5 x the amount we paid here and didn't have as nice a room. Although we didn't have time to swim, it looked lovely, 1/2 inside and 1/2 outside.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family