“Nice stay...but could be better!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Marietta
Ranked #104 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a friend's wedding. The hotel was very nice but the walls could have been much more sound proof. We could hear people opening and closing their doors and conversations in the hallway. The price was awesome or so we thought…it was $74.00 per night but included NOTHING…that is where they get you…most hotels offer free wireless now…NOPE it was $9.95 per day. No fridge or microwave in rooms...but you could rent them...REALLY! The breakfast buffet was so costly we would have done better ordering room service or just going out to eat. The room itself was nicely decorated and I love the bathroom amenities (you can never go wrong with Crabtree and Evelyn) the shower was AWESOME...I love a strong shower. If you decide to enjoy the breakfast buffet purchase it in advance. I was not aware that you could purchase advance tickets for only $8.00! Without it a breakfast for two was $27.90!!!!!! My mouth hit the floor and this buffet was NO where near worth the money. All and all I may stay here again....it was CLEAN which is always number one on my list.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mlindsey5

Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed here using American Advantage miles. The front desk staff were very nice. There wasn't a refrigerator, but we were able to rent one for $10/night. Since we had a young child who needed her milk, it was worth it to us. The room itself was nice; it was non smoking, but the hallway reeked of cigarettes. Our neighbors woke us up at 1:30 shaking the bed so hard, their iron headboard was banging against the wall (use your imagination). The breakfast the next morning was typical - eggs, bacon/sausage, potatoes. If you're looking for reasonably prices, this is it. Overall, a good trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We booked a king room with a special rate and arrived on a Friday evening. We were somewhat surprised to find this good-sized facility full. Our room was fairly spacious and the bathroom facilities clean and orderly. We had no problems with the room.

The hotel itself is convenient to I-75, but not too close to the highway. The setting was pleasant along a tree-lined road and seemed to be quiet. Besides the Chick-fil-A right next door, it's just a short hop across the main road to a Waffle House and other eating places. I would not mind staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Room was nice and clean. No refrigerator. Thermostat could not be adjusted. Hotel promptly sent someone who was nice but didn't know what he was doing. Wasn't a major issue - just wanted a slightly warmer room. Service at "wine bar" was good but food was below average. E.g., flat bread was more like a pizza dough and was so drenched in oil that it permeated the "bread." Hotel pet fee is quite high. Understand need for such a fee but it was higher than room rate.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2011

The hotel is comfortable, safe, the service is fine and you have everything you need.... but I will not go out of my way to stay here again.

It's just details, but the lighting in the room is very dim making it difficult to see properly to work. There is also a mix of cool white and warm white lights making the lighting that you do have, completely variable within the room. It also makes the room seem on the rundown side.

Also, the TV is a big old thing that will not allow you to swivel it at all - I like to watch TV while I work at the desk, but this is impossible.

I realize there are far worse things to comment on in a hotel, which are not here. But there is alot of competition for hotels in the area and I know these minor frustrations will not put this hotel at the top of my list for future visits.

Room Tip: Ask for a king room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Butterfly1808
Reviewed September 14, 2011

So I went flying down to Atlanta over Labor Day weekend and thought that I would check out this hotel, seeing as other individuals that I knew were staying there. Let's get started.

The hotel is a very nice hotel, in terms of amenities and accomodations. They have a nice outdoor pool, an indoor hot tub, mini-business center, restaurant (which I did not try) and bar (again, which I didn't try). The rooms were very comfortable, and the suite that I stayed in was extremely nice. It had a media center with flat screen TV, direct access to the pool, two bathrooms, and a nice king size bed. The cookies that they gave at the front desk were warm and good, and the housekeeping staff very attentive to needs. There is a Chik-Fil-A steps from the front door, and a McDonald's across the street, very convenient for those late night munchies.

Unfortunately, a situation that didn't have to occur, did. Believe it or not, it started at the front desk and stretched out two weeks. One thing I have learned is that when you are in the hospitality industry, customer service is KEY. That means, you do not talk to someone like they are a child and then in the same sentence act inappropriate...especially if there are other individuals in the area of the front desk. I spoke with the front desk supervisor, who referred me to the front desk manager, who told me the same line I've heard time and time again: "I will talk with him about the issue and will do some coaching". To be honest I've heard this line so many times, that I don't hold stock in it anymore.

Long story short, after going to the Diamond desk at Corporate and asking for an apology from the representative and bonus points - and going back and forth for almost two weeks, the Diamond desk is sending me a certificate good for a free stay at any Doubletree. I'll accept it, but I will not again stay at this hotel. I think I've earned the right to be respected and treated with respect when I spend my money out of town.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Timothy H
Reviewed September 6, 2011

No complaints at all with this hotel. Staff was pleasant. Rooms were very nice. Quiet and clean. Great value for the price.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family