“Good food but a poorly run establishment”
Review of Urban Cannibals Bodega & Bites - CLOSED

Urban Cannibals Bodega & Bites
Neighborhood: East Atlanta
Neighborhood: East Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good food but a poorly run establishment”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were excited to give it a try as we have heard a lot of good buzz from neighbors here in Atlanta. Unfortunately, the experience was quite disappointing.

When we walked in the first thing we noticed is that their kitchen ventilation system was not working well. The place smelled of a mix of cooking smoke and deep fryer oil. Not at all pleasant. The menu looked intriguing, so we decided to go ahead and order a couple of sandwiches. We then sat down at a table to wait for our food. While there were only 5 occupied tables, including us (a total of 10 diners in all), it took more than 30 minutes to be served our sandwiches. Really quite unacceptable given that there were 3 cooks in the kitchen.

The most frustrating part of this whole experience is that their food is quite good, and we did enjoy our sandwiches, we just did not intend to invest an hour of our time for a sandwich lunch.

• Visited June 2013

“Great find!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I'm always looking for "unusual" places to grab a bite, and we were very happy with this one! I had the seasonal lamb burger, and my husband enjoyed the monte cristo. Both were delicious! We also HAD to purchase some local food products from the shelves. The prices were decent, considering that the products are all-natural. The lamb burger was 10.99, and I believe the monte cristo was about 7.99. Definitely worth trying!

London, United Kingdom
“Cool cafe in bohemianville”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We found this online and it was worth the trip to somewhere a bit different. The menu is quite limited but the food was tasty - warming soups and decent burgers - good for a lunch time visit. The cafe shares the space with a deli and there are lots of items that can be purchased such as gourmet coffee, jars of olives, and the like. Along with nice staff, it's good to know that alternative is thriving in Atlanta.

• Visited November 2012
“Nice, different find for lunch”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Searching for lunch recently, we stopped here. Interesting atmosphere with old antiques tables and chairs. The theme is kinda like old stuff from my grandparents garden. Tools, seeds, pics, etc. With lots of propaganda on urban gardening I like it mostly because the atmosphere and food is very different. I had a brisket dip, brunswick chili, chips and a coke in a bottle. My GF had the cannibal club, chips.

It was very good, friendly folks. The only real drawback was the price for lunch. I guess if its good and we are in East Atl, ots okay by me. Try it.

“what a gem!”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

we trekked quite a long way to find this place and it was worth it!. The ambience is wonderful with furniture they made themselves in part from recycled wood. The service was really friendly and the food outstanding. WHen I first tried to review this place it wasn't on trip advisor so now I can't remember exactly all we had. I had the vegetarian chili and it was excellent, really tasty , perfectly seasoned and perfect heat for me ( not wimpy).The potatoes were really crunchy on the outside with black tasty bits and soft on the inside. The toast was the best either of us had ever had for breakfast, not just the bread itself but the way it was cooked. I forget what we had in our our omelettes but it was tasty and filling. They also sell king of pops. We had lavender honey milk and basil lemon, the perfect dessert for a hot day brunch. I would certainly recommend this to anyone who like good quality home cooked fresh food with a twist!

• Visited July 2011