“deserves it's rating” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
dublin
“deserves it's rating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2009

We had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel. The staff are really friendly and helpful. Restaurants were suggested and booked for us and were excellent. Being driven to the restaurants and collected in the fancy cars was a treat too. Room was clean, roomy and quiet. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty, especially the waffles made fresh each morning.

Buckhead is a great base to explore Atlanta, (residential/business area). The Marta station is only a 10-15 min walk or the drivers at the hotel will drop you there, great for sightseeing and ideal for going back to the airport also if you don't want to take a taxi.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Arabic first
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

as usual the reviewers were spot on with this hotel.
The hotel itself is good, but it's the staff like Chris at reception & Ben the driver who made the stay excellent. The facilities are top notch for a hotel in this price range. I would have no problem recommending it & if I go back to Atlanta I would stay here again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Richmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

As a travel agent planning corporate travel groups, details make or break a successful event. On the front end, Mr. Anthony Hines-Tecoy made this a one-stop shop who assisted in coordinating every detail. He provided me with great response time and the confidence that my group was in good hands. Following the event I recieved many compliments on the hotel and staff. Thanks agian and I would highly recommend this hotel and their great staff.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

We've stayed at the Ritz-Carlton and the CW Marriott in Atlanta, and this hotel puts them to shame! From the minute we walked in the door to the minute we left, we were treated with 5-star service. The rooms had wood floors, the bed was wonderful, and the soap and shampoo were from Penhaligon. The staff opened the bar early simply because we said we were thirsty! We had several choices for dinner, and the staff recommended one a few blocks from the hotel. The restaurant already knew we were from the Wingate and were expecting us!
I can't enough positive things about this property.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Nashville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

WARNING:
The pictures of the bathroom on the hotel’s website do not look like the actual bathrooms you will encounter (and unfortunately, these were the tipping point in my decision to reserve this hotel). They appear to be nice, big marble showers with glass doors (DOORS! YAY!) but in actuality the bathroom is not even on par with other hotels of the 3-star variety. It is a simple tub and shower curtain, and the bathroom is INCREDIBLY small. The pictures on the hotel’s website are undoubtedly in the suites or handicapped rooms, but of course, they do not disclose this. The caption merely reads “Bathroom”. There is not enough room for two people to stand side by side at the single sink and see the mirror. The room is as deep as a standard tub, the sink and counter span the entire length of the opposite wall, and there is just enough room for a toilet between them and room for the door to open into the bathroom.

Cons:
GROSS stuff growing from bathtub overflow drain and down into the tub (and it wasn’t a stain, it moved with the water flow), mildew in the shower (seriously, how do maids not know to carry a bottle of bleach on the cart?), no conditioner in the toiletries kit although they still have funds for shoe mitts and shower caps, lamps didn’t work, only one nightstand for King bed (doubtless because the room’s so small), BOTH phones in room didn’t work (making it pretty darn difficult to call the front desk), hairdryer only blew cool air, the iron burned (and ruined) my shirt in less than a second and then later fell apart, the office chair won’t stay set and gradually rises up to the maximum height trapping your legs under the desk, the computers in the main business center downstairs (only two of them) both were out of order, stained sofa in the room, maybe the worst thing of all was rolling shades over the window (no curtains at all) that do not even come close to covering the window so you haven’t the smallest hope of sleeping late, NO laundry facilities of any kind available (self-service or otherwise).

Pros:
Breakfast is ok… not fantastic. Standard cereal (although only healthy cereals, no Froot Loops, Corn Pops, etc.), bagels, yogurt, omelets, and waffles (although the man who will make these for you—no self service—can be hard to locate at times). Good coffee/espresso/cappuccino machine although it may be only available at breakfast. They offer a complimentary shuttle for a 3 mile radius. I think I like the idea of laminate floors—you can see if the room’s been cleaned or not, although these floors looked super cheap. The shower head was really good. The staff did seem helpful with the exception of the maid, although that may have just been a language deficiency, and the front desk attendant that finally got one computer in the business center up and running and didn’t seem the least bit concerned that the other computer might need to be fixed so other customers could use it. Free parking and free internet access (although it had a poor signal in our room and we could never actually get on the internet).

A little about myself:
I am not wealthy, but am not poverty-stricken either. I am not a nitpicker looking for something to complain about--I am fine with a clean room, but I get frustrated with sloppiness, lazy attention to maintenance, and misrepresentation. I cannot in my wildest dreams figure out how on earth this hotel is #1 on the Tripadvisor list. I reserved it over a hotel that I had previously had a great experience with (the Omni at CNN) solely because I trust Tripadvisor’s system and my fellow travelers’ reviews. I now will question heartily any recommendation I see on Tripadvisor and I’m sad about that. The only explanation I can think of is that this hotel was very, very good when it was first opened, but has not done anything to maintain that since and is sliding into disrepair and mediocrity. It is certainly not worth the rate I paid, and in no way deserves the #1 slot on Tripadvisor in a city of so many hotel options.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KatieW84
ttboy828, Guest Services Manager/Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta/Buckhead, responded to this review, June 11, 2009
We did an extensive investigation and cannot find any evidence or reports of any of the issues listed. The Wingate by Wyndham Buckhead is committed to solving our guest's problems and issues. In order to correct an issue, the hotel does need to know about it first.
birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

The entire staff at the Wingate was exceptional. They all went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful. It did not matter what we requested they were all very quick to help. Thanks for a memorable Memorial Day!

2 Thank aweems
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2009

I am very picky about where I stay. Cleanliness and comfort are important to me. On our first night in Atlanta, we stayed downtown because it was "walking distance" to the Georgia Aquarium but I was unhappy with that hotel so we decided to go into Buckhead to stay at the #1 rated hotel. First of all, the drive from downtown to Buckhead is very easy and short. I regretted not staying at Wingate by Wynham from the start because parking for the Aquarium and nearby attractions was only $5 in a garage that I felt very safe with. The parking at Wingate is free which was nice compared to the $30/day parking downtown at hotel.
The staff here was so friendly. The room felt comfy and bright and CLEAN. The bathroom was so clean with nice tile on the floor. Plenty of closet space and comfy beds with fluffy pillows. Close to malls and easy hop to the highway to go downtown. The complimentary hot breakfast was so nice. Made to order omelets and waffles. Quiet and peaceful feeling in hotel. Great value!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family