“Best-Kept Secret in Atlanta”

Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta/Buckhead
Ranked #9 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“Best-Kept Secret in Atlanta”
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We've stayed at the Ritz-Carlton and the CW Marriott in Atlanta, and this hotel puts them to shame! From the minute we walked in the door to the minute we left, we were treated with 5-star service. The rooms had wood floors, the bed was wonderful, and the soap and shampoo were from Penhaligon. The staff opened the bar early simply because we said we were thirsty! We had several choices for dinner, and the staff recommended one a few blocks from the hotel. The restaurant already knew we were from the Wingate and were expecting us!
I can't enough positive things about this property.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Arabic first
Nashville
Reviewed June 8, 2009

WARNING:
The pictures of the bathroom on the hotel’s website do not look like the actual bathrooms you will encounter (and unfortunately, these were the tipping point in my decision to reserve this hotel). They appear to be nice, big marble showers with glass doors (DOORS! YAY!) but in actuality the bathroom is not even on par with other hotels of the 3-star variety. It is a simple tub and shower curtain, and the bathroom is INCREDIBLY small. The pictures on the hotel’s website are undoubtedly in the suites or handicapped rooms, but of course, they do not disclose this. The caption merely reads “Bathroom”. There is not enough room for two people to stand side by side at the single sink and see the mirror. The room is as deep as a standard tub, the sink and counter span the entire length of the opposite wall, and there is just enough room for a toilet between them and room for the door to open into the bathroom.

Cons:
GROSS stuff growing from bathtub overflow drain and down into the tub (and it wasn’t a stain, it moved with the water flow), mildew in the shower (seriously, how do maids not know to carry a bottle of bleach on the cart?), no conditioner in the toiletries kit although they still have funds for shoe mitts and shower caps, lamps didn’t work, only one nightstand for King bed (doubtless because the room’s so small), BOTH phones in room didn’t work (making it pretty darn difficult to call the front desk), hairdryer only blew cool air, the iron burned (and ruined) my shirt in less than a second and then later fell apart, the office chair won’t stay set and gradually rises up to the maximum height trapping your legs under the desk, the computers in the main business center downstairs (only two of them) both were out of order, stained sofa in the room, maybe the worst thing of all was rolling shades over the window (no curtains at all) that do not even come close to covering the window so you haven’t the smallest hope of sleeping late, NO laundry facilities of any kind available (self-service or otherwise).

Pros:
Breakfast is ok… not fantastic. Standard cereal (although only healthy cereals, no Froot Loops, Corn Pops, etc.), bagels, yogurt, omelets, and waffles (although the man who will make these for you—no self service—can be hard to locate at times). Good coffee/espresso/cappuccino machine although it may be only available at breakfast. They offer a complimentary shuttle for a 3 mile radius. I think I like the idea of laminate floors—you can see if the room’s been cleaned or not, although these floors looked super cheap. The shower head was really good. The staff did seem helpful with the exception of the maid, although that may have just been a language deficiency, and the front desk attendant that finally got one computer in the business center up and running and didn’t seem the least bit concerned that the other computer might need to be fixed so other customers could use it. Free parking and free internet access (although it had a poor signal in our room and we could never actually get on the internet).

A little about myself:
I am not wealthy, but am not poverty-stricken either. I am not a nitpicker looking for something to complain about--I am fine with a clean room, but I get frustrated with sloppiness, lazy attention to maintenance, and misrepresentation. I cannot in my wildest dreams figure out how on earth this hotel is #1 on the Tripadvisor list. I reserved it over a hotel that I had previously had a great experience with (the Omni at CNN) solely because I trust Tripadvisor’s system and my fellow travelers’ reviews. I now will question heartily any recommendation I see on Tripadvisor and I’m sad about that. The only explanation I can think of is that this hotel was very, very good when it was first opened, but has not done anything to maintain that since and is sliding into disrepair and mediocrity. It is certainly not worth the rate I paid, and in no way deserves the #1 slot on Tripadvisor in a city of so many hotel options.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KatieW84
ttboy828, Guest Services Manager/Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta/Buckhead, responded to this review, June 11, 2009
We did an extensive investigation and cannot find any evidence or reports of any of the issues listed. The Wingate by Wyndham Buckhead is committed to solving our guest's problems and issues. In order to correct an issue, the hotel does need to know about it first.
birmingham
Reviewed May 27, 2009

The entire staff at the Wingate was exceptional. They all went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful. It did not matter what we requested they were all very quick to help. Thanks for a memorable Memorial Day!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aweems
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I am very picky about where I stay. Cleanliness and comfort are important to me. On our first night in Atlanta, we stayed downtown because it was "walking distance" to the Georgia Aquarium but I was unhappy with that hotel so we decided to go into Buckhead to stay at the #1 rated hotel. First of all, the drive from downtown to Buckhead is very easy and short. I regretted not staying at Wingate by Wynham from the start because parking for the Aquarium and nearby attractions was only $5 in a garage that I felt very safe with. The parking at Wingate is free which was nice compared to the $30/day parking downtown at hotel.
The staff here was so friendly. The room felt comfy and bright and CLEAN. The bathroom was so clean with nice tile on the floor. Plenty of closet space and comfy beds with fluffy pillows. Close to malls and easy hop to the highway to go downtown. The complimentary hot breakfast was so nice. Made to order omelets and waffles. Quiet and peaceful feeling in hotel. Great value!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MommyAnne
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Hard-wood floors, big scatter-rug resembling a Persian rug, great breakfasts, nice room for training (I'm a corporate trainer) and wonderful catering. Thank you, Theresa. Plus Cadillac service to and from Marta.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank rvuolo
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2009

This has been one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. The Wingate is large enough to have amenities like a pool, business centre and fitness room and small enough to feel personal. The staff were outstanding--helpful, pleasant, friendly. The rooms are nicely decorated with everything you could want and are kept spotless. The hot breakfast was lovely. And the transportation service was excellent. Not only did they take me to or pick me up from various places several times a day, it was in a beautiful vehicle. And as a woman travelling alone, I felt very safe, not just a room number but a name and a person to the staff. This place will be the standard by which I rate any other hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank canucktraveller54
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed May 21, 2009

This was only my second trip to Atlanta and my first one wasn't good, so I was determined to see the nicer parts of the city. I am told Buckhead is about as nice as it gets. Indeed, it seemed like a very safe part of the city and I was very happy with the location. There were several much more expensive hotels like the Ritz nearby and I am sure those hotels are more luxurious, but the location is the same.

The room was a standard Holiday Inn-style room, but it was clean, bright, and modern. I was very pleasantly surprised. I had stayed at a Wyndham Garden before and had a decent experience, but this was even better.

No one will mistake this hotel for a luxury hotel, but for a business traveler or a vacationer who isn't seeking luxe spa treatments and a grand swimming area this hotel was a great base from which to explore Atlanta. I would return again as long as the rate was about $150 or under. I believe I paid something like $109 including tax and I have paid that much to stay at a crappy Hampton Inn off the highway. This was much better than that.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple