“Takes advantage of travelers due to location”

Comfort Inn Atlanta Downtown South
Ranked #129 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
“Takes advantage of travelers due to location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

As mentioned in other reviews, hotel lobby is under construction. Checked in , dropped our bags and headed to Turner Field. Upon return, attempted a shower, which was impossible because the shower had no cold water. The hot water was scalding. Front desk staff said no maintenance staff was at work and she couldn't help us. So only way to try to clean up was to use an ice bucket, get hot water from ruin, then get cold from sink. It was more like camping instead a hotel.

The website said "free wi-fi". When we attempted to use it, a message saying the capacity for our room had been reached, so no wi-fi. Front desk once again was worthless....."sorry, I guess too many are using it".

The room was vacuumed, and had been given a quick wipe down, but was by no means "clean". But based on what we witnessed, the cleaning crew was about 1/2 of the number needed to get a hotel that was full ready to be full again. Found hair in the tub and on the bathroom counter.There were also "stuff" floating loose from.the side of the tub when I tried to get a shower. The water took 30 minutes to drain from about 7-8 minutes off running the shower trying to get something besides molten lava from.the shower head.

I tried to reach mgnt but he apparently doesn't speak to guests, he just sends msgs. I was told he could reduce the rate by 1/2, but that was all. I'm currently disputing the full fee thru Amrrican Express. Location is NOT everything this time. I would much rather stayed at The Marriott downtown and get a cab ( would have been cheaper by $100)

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank bowenphotos
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Atlanta Downtown South, responded to this review, September 2, 2016
bowenphotos,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel and your experiences during your stay. Since your stay we have made many improvements and continue the effort to continuously elevate our level of service. We have completed a full renovation on our rooms and the hotel as a whole. I hope you will stay with us again and experience the positive changes we have made during your next visit to Atlanta. Again, thank you for your comments, all feedback is used to help improve our efforts to build our hotel staff and product into a destination guests look forward to visiting.

Enoch D.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Let's face it - the only reason someone will want to stay at this hotel is because of its excellent proximity to Turner Field. It's the reason we chose it! After reading the reviews, I expected this place to merely be a place to keep our change of clothes and to sleep for the night. It's not like we were going to hang out there all day.

To that end, for those attending Braves games, the hotel is perfectly located. In fact, from our fourth floor window we could see the stadium, which was right basically across the street and two short blocks up from the hotel.

As for the hotel itself, it is currently undergoing construction in the front lobby, so the result was a less than stellar first impression. I'm sure once it is done it will be nice. But during our visit this weekend the front glass door fell off the hinge when we tried to enter the building, and the elevator hallway was poorly lit. As I said, that was merely due to construction, so I wouldn't let that necessarily affect those looking to book after construction is over.

Our room, as I said, was on the fourth floor. The room was a double queen room. Typical Comfort Inn decor, a bit dated, and the furniture was scratched up. Other reviewers say the rooms will be remodeled - I think that's a great idea. The bathroom was 1970s pink tile and had a decidedly off smell upon our arrival. We did our standard bed bug check (which we do in every hotel we frequent) and came up clean. The A/C and heat worked well (the room was a freezing 60* when we walked in, so we turned on the heat to get it up to 68* - it did so quickly).

The beds were comfortable. We all had a good night's sleep and no painful backs in the morning. I'd say they were a win!

Parking and breakfast were free for those staying at the hotel. The breakfast was also standard fare - fruit, yogurt, cereal, danishes, eggs and sausage, belgian waffles makers.

For those that merely want a no-frills hotel room in which they will *only* be sleeping, this is a good choice. I wouldn't recommend it for more than 1-2 nights at a time. It's not a vacation destination kind of hotel. But it suited us just fine and we'll definitely stay there when we go to our next Braves game in September!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank TripTheLightSC
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here because of the convenience and that is the ONLY reason to ever stay here. Although they are renovating downstairs and the staff is very nice, the rooms are dreadful. Even though the room appeared to be clean and passed my bed bug test, everything was so old, tired and worn. I took pictures of the permanent discoloration of the corners of the walls where people had put their hands so often that the beige wallpaper looked brownish and grimy. Tiles in the bathroom were broken, the porcelain in the tub was worn away so the tub was splotchy, the shower curtain rod was rusted. GROSS! The mattress is cheap and flat with the old style thin polyester bedspread that's been there for decades and the furniture is cheap particle board style. The TV was the old fat style...on and on. I was so glad to leave in the morning! On the positive side - credit where credit is due...the staff was very friendly and they served tasty hot coffee as we were all coming in from the Braves game. Also the breakfast in the morning was what you'd expect from a Comfort Inn. Love my Braves, but I'm not even sure the location and free parking is worth the sacrifice. Ironic that the name of the hotel is "Comfort". Hopefully they will renovate the rooms soon too!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thetravelingtigger
thetravelingtigger,

Port Saint Joe, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Comfort Inn at Turner Field because of the convenience and closeness to Turner Field while seeing a Braves Baseball game. Unfortunately, their remodeling of the front desk area and breakfast area made getting in and out miserable. The front desk personnel were great, the room was ok (there was hair on the bathroom floor and the windows were permanently fogged so we couldn't see Turner Field from our room, and we were able to walk to the field. We just wish they had scheduled their remodeling during non-baseball season. I mean, that's their calling card and they should play it up.

Room Tip: Call ahead and make sure the hotel you're staying at isn't under construction or having remo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Fayetteville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Comfort Inn Atlanta Downtown South at Turner Field is at a perfect location for Braves games. You can easily walk to and from the game without any problems. The hotel is currently under renovation in the lobby and will soon be remodeling the rooms as well. For the price, it's a good pick. The rooms aren't dirty and the staff is very friendly. They offer a free (but just okay) breakfast and there is one restaurant in walking distance - The Bullpen. For convenience it's great. Otherwise it's just okay. It wouldn't hurt to compare prices with the Country Inn and Suites and Holiday Inn nearby, all in a reasonable walking distance to the stadium.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Greenville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel is right across the street diagonally from Turner Field, home of the Braves. You can walk a few steps and be there in the thick of the action. I have stayed at other times in town and drove to the games; not a chance I will fight with that kind of slow-moving beast again.
The only thing that this hotel has going for it is it's location. Period. If you're not here to see the Braves play, you are at the wrong hotel. Nothing to commend it beyond location.
It wasn't a bad hotel by any means. It was older and run down in places, but not trashy or unwelcoming or unfriendly. The room is what I expected such a room to be - a bed, a bathroom, a few amenities, and a wake up call. This is no romantic getaway, no family reunion destination, no Wall Street financiers in emergency sessions. It's cut rate, bare bones stuff, BUT is a room located the Mecca of Braves' baseball.
So, save the traffic headaches and the parking prices, and stay here. I will again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Miller1647
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I like to start off with the positive aspects of a place, so I will. Everyone I encountered here was at least very friendly and cheery. Also, you really can't beat this location if you're going to a game. It's practically behind home plate. Very safe to walk to and from the field.

Alright, enough of that, you didn't click on "read more" of a 2-star review to hear the things I liked about it, did you?

I'll start off by saying the maintenance people entered our room despite the DND sign being out, and my wife is 95% sure they messed with our luggage.

We went to the game, and put out the DND sign. When we came back, that sign was moved, our suitcase was zipped differently than how we left it, and there was a rechargeable drill battery on our bathroom counter.

I went downstairs to the desk clerk, and while he was friendly, he seemed frighteningly unsurprised by this, as though it was pretty much a daily occurrence. He said "I heard something about a mirror. Maybe they were working on that. I'll tell the manager and he'll take appropriate action." Except there was nothing about the mirror (our toothbrush was even still stuck to it). I still have no idea what they were doing in our room, but I'm glad we hid the valuables before we left.

Safety: Not a problem, I don't think. The area doesn't feel especially great when there isn't a huge crowd of people around, so it's hard to gauge what it would be like on any normal night, but I was fine. As I mentioned above, the only lack of security I experienced was the hotel staff itself.

Upkeep: Leaves something to be desired. The toilet was stained, the tub was clearly old, and completely clogged. The TV is an old relic from the 90s, and the decor is just what you'd expect from a place that doesn't really have to try.

Overall, the only saving grace is its physical location next to the stadium. If all you want to do is pass out after the game, look no further.

If you want any type of decent experience, avoid this like the plague and stay somewhere better. This one is a pockmark on the Choice Brand, and I hope Comfort Inn pulls their affiliation soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends