“Door slammings will wake you up again and again...”

Comfort Inn Atlanta Downtown South
Ranked #137 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Yes, it's a typical hotel near the ball park with a great staff and really nice breakfast. But it's also a hotel with a major problem that can't be easily fixed - noise in the hallways. And unfortunately, this problem comes with every room by design. In most hotels the fan in the AC/heat system will either stay on after reaching the right temperature, or there's a button marked "fan only" - which you can use for background noise, so you won't hear your neighbors or the people in the hallways. But the air handlers in this hotel are thermostatically controlled. They shut off when they've reached the right temperature - and there is no "fan only" button. As a result, it'll be quiet in your room and noisy outside - again and again - even after midnight! We woke up to the sounds of doors being pulled closed and slammed shut - repeatedly. It's not that the other guests were bad. They weren't yelling or partying. They were just closing their doors, the way people do in a hotel - and there was no way for us to stop that noise, or go to sleep. And after midnight your alternatives are limited: complain to the manager (but no one's partying), sleep-in the next day (but we had a schedule), or go to a different hotel (but who wants to find another hotel after midnight?) So for us, it was bad. My wife and I both had red eyes and were dragged out the next day -- all due to the sleep quality at this Comfort Inn. And unfortunately, it's a problem this hotel won't be able to easily fix. We finally fixed it by turning on the bathroom exhaust fan.

Room Tip: Use the bathroom exhaust fan for white noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Atlanta Downtown South, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2016

HappyOneAiken_SC,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and insight into our hotel. I wish you safe travels in the future.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

Cheerful, helpful staff. A little out of mainstream downtown Atlanta e.g. poor access to MARTA.
Fitness room in adjacent hotel. Pretty good breakfast.

Room Tip: Go to Georgia State to Catch Marta.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Dennis V,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our services, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future and we'll look forward to seeing you during your next stay in Atlanta.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Got a non smoking room, the room & entire floor smelled like nothing but cigarettes. Ac kept shutting off even though it wasn't set to auto. Hotel staff would not offer any type of assistance to help guest find their way around city & when asked for info they gave attitude. Breakfast was actually good although very little space to eat. When finally moved to 6th floor room was actually clean. BTW...I did not find the "pool". When I requested to check out early they made us wait till 3 o'clock till manager came in only to tell us she would be charging the prior night and that night as well but would credit the rest needless to say we stayed that night and checked out the next day, if you must stay here make sure you request the 6th floor (if a non smoker)

• Stayed: March 2012

dserranoadverturers6,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our property. Since your visit we have been actively seeking opportunities to improve our service and professionalism at our hotel. Smoking is definitely something we have been working to ensure doesn't occur at our non-smoking property and guests who violate that policy are charged for their actions. However, this does not always discourage those determined to operate outside of policy. I am glad to hear we were able to make things right after you spoke with our manager. I hope you enjoy your future travels to Atlanta.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

We've stayed here every year for the past 7 years. It's right across the street from the southwest entrance to Turner Field so we don't have to deal with parking and traffic. The entire staff (front desk, housekeeping & maintenance) is friendly, professional and very accommodating. The room was very comfortable and quiet. The breakfast area was being renovated and was very inviting with a good selection of breakfast items. The pool was especially nice on the hot August days. I recommend this Comfort Inn to everyone at the Braves Spring Training games so they can go see the team play at Turner Field. The closeness to the park and the friendly staff make it very appealing to the Florida retirees.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn M

Lynn M,

Reviewed February 10, 2012

A Pre-note was sent to my checking account, because I was using a debit account, for an amount HIGHER than the actual charge. I was NOT advised they would be holding funds in my account for 5-7 days, UNTIL I called and inquired about the charge. I had cash and would have used that, had I know they would unnecessarily put a hold on my account!!!!!!

The room was ok.... bed, tub, toilet......which is what I needed, just nothing "above and beyond"!! I don't plan on being back!!

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

larry w,

I'm sorry to read about this unfortunate incident at our hotel. It is a business standard practice for all hotels to hold a certain amount of funds on hold in order to cover any incidentals during your stay. I will work to ensure all guests are make explicitly aware that those funds will be held in the future. Safe travels,

Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife and I had to make a quick trip to Atlanta to attend a funeral so we drove up from Jacksonville. Room was very clean and quiet. We were on the 6th floor. Everyone at the front desk was extremely pleasant and no long wait to check-in.

Very good breakfast included in the price with a lot of hot items served including making your own waffles and they had scrambled eggs too. Hotel is very close to downtown and includes free parking. My son and family stayed downtown but had to pay $23. per night to park the car. A rip-off as far as I am concerned.

Because of the stress of the funeral we forgot a garment bag in the closet. (First time ever we have forgotten anything). Called the manager when we got home and she was extremely helpful in packing up the items so I could have FedEx come the next day with a pre-paid label to pick up the package and deliver it to me.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank stockman41

stockman41,

Reviewed January 15, 2012

My business associates and I really enjoyed our stay. The staff was so friendly and patient, even before we arrived. They also gave us good info about restaurant close by and took care of the cab service. The rooms were nice and cleaned well every day.
The breakfast area was cheerful and the food was good.
Everybody made a special effort to make sure we were well taken care of. I certainly will recommend the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business