“Beware of hotel thieves!”

Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #82 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I got robbed during two days of meetings with Customers. Most probably by hotel staff. They entered the conference room and got my wallet from an inside compartment of the computer bag, while we were meeting the Customer in another conference room. Before leaving our stuff, we've asked the hotel staff whether it's safe to leave it there (they didn't provide keys to that conference room). They said it was OK, and since there was no-one else in the area, we did. Upon returning, I discovered my wallet stolen. A colleague of mine lost her wallet, a cell phone and her BlackBerry.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
gmcgann, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2010

I would like to apologize for the incident that occured during your meeting at our hotel. The hotel takes pride in insuring all of our guest are safe and they have a successful meeting. At no time do we recommend leaving any personal valuables in a meeting room, as these areas are public space that attendees and staff move through during breaks throughout the day. This is the first instance of this happening at this hotel, as we make every effort to keep all our meeting rooms safe.

There are newer reviews for Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center

Reviewed October 6, 2010

This hotel was remodeled from a Sheraton AND is a work in progress. Overall the Hotel was clean with no maid issues. We arrived on 09/30/10 for a TWA Silver Wings Convention and departed 10/03 . For travel from the Airport to Hotel we used the MARTA system. It took approxmiately 30 minutes with a $2 fare. For Airport early morning return, we use a cab at $40. This Hotel is located in a good location. Once you find out where some stores are, you're fine. The Hotel staff did point us in the right direction. The rooms were clean and kept that way during our stay. As to the TV, it was a true work in progress that took several phonecalls to find what was going on. The channels were in the process of being changed over to HD. ABC, NBC and CBS could not be found. Example: CBS had the CBS ID but was BET. After two days it was getting better but....................... There was late night noise within the Hotel caused by guests--not a hotel issue but a uncaring people issue--doors slamming, etc. The late night door slamming contest was being held while we were there! There are devices that prevents this type of contest---all hotels should install these! The main entrance had a large rotating door that stopped dead in its tracks. I think there was facial grease/inprints on the glass from impacts! As to the Convention: Our first meeting was on Friday night with a cash bar. The prices were very high. Example: a diet coke in an ice filled glass filled with 1/3 can was $4. Wine was $8, beer $7. Our Saturday's dinner was at best FAIR with a cost of $58 or thereabout. I've had better or even great meals at Conventions! If this Hotel plans to continue any type of Convention, they must get their act together. The tables had two bottles of wine and some were opened. Cost per bottle was over $35. Some poured the open bottles thinking they were included. Then an announcement was made saying if you poured the wine, you must pay for it. If I was involved in running this Convention, I would have not advised payment. The Hotel made a mistake and that's life. The wine was listed as $35 but the servers attempted to collect $40. They lost track of who paid for what. One of the highlights of dinner: A server dropped a whole tray of meals. This was repeated for those who missed the first dropping! The Hotel's Convention staff were not ready for prime time. They need to clean up their act. I expected to receive what we paid for and this did NOT happen. I know there are Hotels that have their act together. Currently this is not one of those. Maybe they'll impprove, so check the newest entries on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay and convention here in our hotel. I am glad that your were able to take advantage of the convenience of MARTA to arrive at the hotel. I do want to apologize for the TV situation, as we were converting to HDTV in the hotel, which did change several of the channels. I also want to apologize for the confusion with the wine service at dinner and the way it was set up. We will make sure that this does not happen in the future. Over the past year, the hotel banquet team has taken pride in serving our guests, and although we sometimes have a negative situation occur, we try to offer the utmost in service to all of our guests. We appreciate your feedback and know that we continue to improve on being the best.

Reviewed September 7, 2010

This was the host hotel my college chose for its alumni during Labor Day weekend. Our school played a football game on Saturday. The stay was nice, good customer service, great shuttle driver who took us to great restaurants and a good breakfast buffett. WARNING!!! WARNING!!! They charged $50.00 per day for what they called "incidentals" and posted it to my credit card, in addition to the three day room charge, on the first day of my stay! When I checked out on Sunday, my bill only listed the room rates plus tax but when I got home and checked my visa the $150.00 extra was still posted to my card. I called the hotel and was told it would take 4-5 days for "my bank" to "credit" the $150.00 back to my credit card. Is this legal??? I have stayed in many Marriotts but never had this before. Do they do this only for large groups or for anyyne that stays there? I think it is a RIPOFF!! If they are holding $50.00 extra for every guest, for every night stayed for 4-5 days it would seem that they are making a little money off our money!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
gmcgann, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2010

Thank you for your comments reagrding our hotel and our staff. It was a pleasure hosting you and your group for this College Football Saturday. I do apologize for the inconvenience of a hold being put on your credit card for incidentals. This is standard policy for all guests who would like the convenience to charge hotel services to thier room. After you check out, we immediately notify the card company electronically to remove the hold on the card. I will look into why this did not happen with you.

I am glad that you did enjoy your stay and we hope the next time that you come to the Atlanta, you will include us in your travel plans.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

Our family stayed at this property for the Peachtree Road race and the July 4th fireworks at Lenox mall. The location was great for both. The bell staff out front and the van driver were great as was our waiter in the dining room.

The front desk failed to deliver good customer service twice as well as someone in accounting with whom I corresponded after we left provided poor service as well.

The hotel has been renovated but the structure is old and it shows.

In a nutshell we did not receive the package contents described in our written confirmation. We booked the AAA romance package that included self parking, a bottle of champagne and breakfast for two each day. To this day I still have never received the champagne. On our first morning at the hotel, we were not on the package list in the restaurant for a package and were referred to the front desk to resolve the issue. I stopped at the front desk and offered to show the clerk the email confirmation on my phone and she stated that it was now fixed and if I would stop back by the restaurant they would correct the omission. Despite being nearly floored at being asked to resolve their mistake I politely asked the clerk if she might handle and she agreed. As I learned several days later, the mistake was not corrected. On the second morning of our stay, our family was on the appropriate breakfast list in the restaurant.

Several days after departure, I was contacted via email about charges that were unpaid. The charges were for parking and breakfast that were part of the package! I responded that these items were included in our package and that I was disappointed and did not intend to pay for those items a second time. The person indicated she would resolve and share with the GM at the property. I have not heard from the hotel again now more than one month later.

I work in an industry where we strive to deliver good customer service and I expect good customer service from the Marriott brand but this property failed to deliver to even an accurate registration and failed more than one other customer service opportunity.

There are many lodging choices nearby, I will choose one next time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank AthensGator
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I could have stayed at courtyard down the street for $20 less a day. But i thought maybe being a Marriott luxury class hotel, it would be better. Boy was i wrong. Travelling with lil kids, you need a microwave and fridge (at least the fridge for milk). Luckily they had one in housekeeping and provided us with the fridge, but they had no microwaves available. They has no marketplace that u can buy small food items, like milk and cereal bowls, etc. We were checked into a room with two beds. We were surprised they were able to fit two double beds in there (even though they were small beds). My family had to constantly jump over the bed to get to the other side if i was sitting on the chair at the desk. Also, few things were broken. the heater didnt work and the sink stopper was broken. but we didnt complain because it did not affect.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank maddogv6

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here at the Altanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel. The hotel staff takes pride in insuring all guests are made to feel welcome and enjoy their stay. I realize that we do not offer in every room some of the amenities of the limited service hotels, but we do have all of these amenities upon request for our guest.

Thank you again for choosing the Altanta Marriott Buckhead and we hope that you include us in your future travel plans.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stayed here when it was being renovated two years ago. I loved the hotel back then even though the construction was not finished. The service was incredible and if we needed ANYTHING, the manager personally delivered it. Unfortunately, things have changed. I stay in a lot of Marriotts. I know they will be clean, renovated, and have great service. The hotel is nice. Like I said, it is newly renovated which is nice. The lobby area is clean and very nice looking. The restaurant Shula's is pretty good and the patio is nice out front if you want a drink at night. I was excited to stay at the same hotel as before..until I walked into the room. I remembered it much nicer. It smelled of mildew for some reason. Everything was clean but that was the last time it would be. The staff was wonderful. They delivered everything with quickness but then again, we had to ask. The maids were horrible. I am big on clean places. We stayed 4 nights and our sheets were never changed. You would think they would be changed at least ONCE. The bar soap in the bathroom was never replaced during our stay and we had to ask multiple times for more towels. We even walked back into our room with a dirty towel and our dirty glasses still in the room! One of my roommates commented that she never had to clean up so much after maids in her life. They really need to step up on the maid service. I know no one is perfect but with a hotel, cleanliness is key. Other than that, the staff was great. Another note is that parking is $18 a day. Our rate for the hotel seemed already too expensive to have a large fee for parking. They did have a shuttle for market which is nice. If you need to book another night, go to the front desk. The Marriott line won't give you the same rate as you had before, the front desk will. Overall, the place needs to tighten up on some aspects but it was ok.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank NashvilleTNgirl32

Thank you for your comments reagrad your staff and the kind words for our service staff. I do apologize for the lack of service you had with the housekeeping team. As a Marriott policy, we do only change the sheets every 4 days, unless requested by the guest. We also will not replace any towels that are hanging up, as this is all part of our "Preserve the Environment" action plan to limit the amount of water and detergent usage on a daily basis. We estimate saving over 150 gallons of water a day. With regards to the other issues, I will personally address with the housekeeping team.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forwrad to your next visit to the Atlanta Marriott Buckhead.

Reviewed July 16, 2010

We left our camera battery and charger in the room and called about is soon after we got home. They informed us that they had found them and were promplty sending them to us in the mail. After about 10 days and not receiving our package we made multiple phone calls to multiple people and they all told us they had no record of anything being found in our room. THIEVES and LIARS! Spoke to every manager available and they can't seem to find our items. I will NEVER stay here or at another Marriott again!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family