“Odd numbered room = odd noise; this hotel misses the little things”

Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #84 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Texas
“Odd numbered room = odd noise; this hotel misses the little things”
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Buckhead has a large list of very nice hotels in the area. This recently converted Marriott is not one of them, and it's the little things that make a hotel "great" versus "okay".

First off, when getting your room, avoid the odd numbered rooms. I awoke to the beep-beep-beep of delivery trucks at 5am. This was so loud it woke me out of a sleep and lasted about 5 or so minutes, a very long time in the early morning. Second, bring ear plus generally. When your neighbor flushes his/her toilet, you'll wake up. For floor recs, avoid the 4th floor. It's a crossover floor to the convention area of the hotel, and our first night was on this floor. Apparently several people had a great time all night long. The second room on the 7th floor appeared quieter, until people decided to flush their toilet or get deliveries at 5am.

As for the convention part of the hotel, facilities were nice and well done. One complaint as a consumer is the replenishing of the snacks. Apparently bringing lids for cups is something that's only done once/day. Cups are a bonus, too. Chips? Grab them early.

One of the biggest annoyance for me was the "poser Starbucks". If you think you're getting a real Starbucks, think again. No food, and coffee was very weak. I can assure you it's not a "real" Starbucks, and tasted nothing like it.

Do you need help sightseeing? Good luck finding help. There was a wall with some brochures, but I never saw a concierge or anything like that. I suppose you could ask the staff at the front desk.

Shula's? Although I didn't personally eat there, I heard rave reviews about how great it was.

Lenox dining room? Buffet style dining. If you like really runny scrambled eggs, you'll love the place. The best part are the homemade omelettes and waffles. OJ is great as well. Dinner buffet was actually pretty decent. Great vegetable soup, but their seafood was something thawed out and gummy/chewy.

Bring a car? Parking in the garage is self-park $18/day. That's actually quite reasonable for Buckhead.

Staff? The staff were very nice. One of the higlights were how genuinely nice and helpful they were, even when calling for a pillow or a late checkout. I was very pleased.

Overall, this hotel was just okay. I almost gave it 3 stars, but felt generous. I would not stay here again, though, as for the same price you could find a far superior hotel with a real Starbucks.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
gmcgann, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay here at the Atlanta Marriott Buckhead. We appreciate your detailed observations during your stay. With this feedback we were better able to work with the individual departments to improve on the details that mean a lot to our guest.

With regard to the noise, we have now made it a policy that there will be no delivery trucks allowed on property until after 7 am to allow our guest to enjoy a good night sleep With regards to Starbucks, we did contact them immediately after your comments to insure that all of our equipment is up to the Starbucks standards.

Again, thank you for staying with us at the Marriott Atlanta Buckhead hotel and we hope that if you are in this area again, you give us the opportunity to WOW you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
USA
Reviewed December 27, 2009

Stayed at this hotel on 12/27/2009. Sunday night...so very quiet. Very convenient/easy parking garage connected to hotel. Lobby are and hallways are very nice and trendy. Nice restaurant attached (Shula's Steakhouse). Great proximity to the Lenox Mall (just across the street). Looked like they spent a bunch on remodeling an old Sheraton to a Marriot. Would not have know this was a newly refurbished hotel, had I not learned this when checking in. Very nice Concierge Lounge...all amenities and furnishings look brand new. Only downside I saw was the pool looked pretty bland....but not an issue for us as it is December.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding our newly renovated hotel and conference center. We appreciate your feedback and glad that you did enjoy your stay. With regards to the pool, we have just recently finished the renovation of the pool are, so it has been enhanced since your stay.

We look forward to your next visit!
Illinois
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Had a great 3 night stay at hotel. Staff was very friendly and very courteous. The hotel looks great after the renovation. Concierge team was especially helpful to get aropund the city. Great Shula's Restaurant

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
gmcgann, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 16, 2010
Thank you for your comment regarding your stay at the Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed our multi-million dollar renovation. I am also happy that you enjoyed your dining experience at Shula's 347.

We look forward to your next visit.
The beautiful NH seacoast
Reviewed December 11, 2009

As a Marriott Platinum member staying over 100 nights a year in Marriott properties I can tell you how disappointed I was in this "brand new" property. First of all, the lobby and surrounding public areas are in fact beautiful, modern and new and my food at Shulas was great. HOWEVER, the rooms are not, they have been updated and upgraded and are layed out very well, but they are NOT BRAND NEW, and they SMELL of MILDEW. The chair in the room was stained and looked worn.I was brought to 6 rooms after complaining of the mildew smell and each one SMELLED. I was going to deal with it and stay for the entire week I had reserved, but after waiting for my car for over a half hour from the Valet, I returned to the hotel later in the day and checked out 2 days early. I told the front desk team that I was leaving due to poor service and the mildew smell, they apologized but that was it. no one went and told a manager of the situation or if they did, they did not care enough to get more information. I promptly checked into The Kimpton Palomar where I was treated better than I have ever been treated at any Marriott, sorry Marriott Buckhead but beauty is only skin deep, you need to get your act together before you alienate more customers.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank bpkamom
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us, but I can assure you we listened to your comments and responded very quickly to eliminate any smells that you experience and we insure all of our funiture are up to the highest Marriott Standards.

We hope that you give our hotel another chance the next time you are in teh Atlanta area.