“Disappointing. Can no longer recommend.”

Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #78 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We have stayed at this property five times in the last year. We've always enjoyed staying here. Nice location, nice staff, nice rooms, etc.

I'm not sure what's happened in the two months but the wheels have fallen off. We are loyal Marriott clients, but for the first time EVER, we were told we did not have access to the concierge lounge - that Marriott was "cracking down" on access. Now, when I became a silver level member years ago, that was one of the perks. No one could explain when or why this was apparently changed. I spoke with the manager upon check out. He was thoroughly bored and obviously annoyed at having to address my compliant. When I asked him if he felt the price of a "free" cup of coffee was worth losing repeat clients, he gave me a non-committal "that's something to consider" before walking away without so much as a thank you, hope you enjoyed your stay, or kiss my foot. Perhaps, he just wanted to get to his office before the other woman who was also complaining about her stay could corner him.

Additionally, our room keys didn't always work. Rarely worked for the garage.

We ate at Shula's - not for the first time. The food was unremarkable. One server was covering at least 7 tables and doing all the refills and delivery all the food. Of course, that meant food delivery was slow, we went without refills, etc. The manager offered to pay the tab but with no apology or explanation. Again, with the arrogant attitude that we as clients were bothersome and that he was bored with having to deal with us.

HIGHLIGHTS
Awesome housekeeping service. We had our do not disturb sign in the door so they left a note and a voicemail to call if we needed towels, etc.

Security - The gentleman on security detail (I wish I had gotten his name!), also carried my bags and delivered towels to us. He was incredibly nice. I'm not sure where the bellman or the nighttime housekeepers were, but he was an absolute pleasure.

Room Tip: We like the garden room on the ground floor b/c it has a patio, but it is VERY loud down there.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
gmcgann, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

As a frequent and loyal guest with over 5 visits to the Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel over the past year, it is extremely regrettable that this experience did not match your past ones. While it is true that only Gold and Platinum Rewards Members are guaranteed Lounge access, the information should have been explained with more sensitivity and care.

We will pass along your kind comments to the appropriate departments and also stress with our associates the importance of the quality customer service that our guests come to expect and deserve of us. We hope that we can regain your confidence and allow the 5 previous positive experiences assist in making your decision. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

Great hotel in the Buckhead Area. Just across the street of the Lenox Mall. The hotel charge $20 for overnite parking in which I believe is insane. Great lobby and rooms, Typical Marriott hotel rooms. I believe the hotel was renovated in 2008

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank alsolution
gmcgann, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

The Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel underwent a recent multi-million dollar renovation and we’re glad you noticed! The Lenox Mall is conveniently located across the street for those fun shopping trips. We hope that on your next business trip to the Atlanta area, you will check out our website to take advantage of our many packages that offer complimentary parking and other amenities. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

To not get confused. There is another Marriott hotel located just across the street called the JW Marriott. We got a good deal off of Priceline so we decided to stay at this hotel. Supposedly this hotel was renovated and the updates were fine. I can't say I didn't like the hotel, but I can't say that it was one of the best places to stay in Buckhead for the price.

I did like that it was convenient to Lenox Mall. Shula 347 has EXCELLENT food. The food was reasonable and delicious.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KayoTn

The Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel’s convenient location to Lenox Mall makes it a perfect spot for those shopping excursions! Shula 347 is a favorite with our guests and we’re so happy that you enjoyed your dining experience. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights over the weekend. The hotel was nice, but could use some work. I'd like to start off by saying how nice everyone was here; the service was exceptional! The hotel was clean, and decorated nicely. We did have a few annoyances though. I'll start with the obvious: the parking. Parking is $20 a day, which is ridiculously overpriced. They would be better off bundling it up and putting the parking price with the hotel price. We had a problem using our room key in the beginning, so we would leave after an hour of being in the hotel, and it would charge us $10. We eventually went up front and got that taken care of. The pool is okay at best; It's supposed to be heated, but the water is a bit cool. The hot tub/jacuzzi did not work, and it looked a little dirty (probably just older). When we took baths/showers the first night, the water was lukewarm at best, but by the last night we were there, they seemed to have that fixed. One more thing, when I went to the vending machine to get a coke, it gave a sprite (2 nights in a row). Overall, I'd say this hotel is average... nothing fancy, but not too shabby either

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank lcp616

Thank you for letting us know about your stay at the Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and are pleased to see you enjoyed the atmosphere of the hotel. Parking is not included in the room costs as not all guests will use those facilities, but we do offer packages which include complimentary parking! We hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights in July for a business trip.

Pros:
Overall cleanliness, Modern lobby, easy self-park, Outdoor seating at Shula's restaurant

Cons:
My first room smelled a little musty, so I went down to the front desk right away and switched. However, the second one smelled the same. I was told by a local that this property used to be a real dumpy hotel that Marriott bought and renovated. I wonder if this is in someway related to the smell in my rooms.

For this trip, I chose this hotel for $139/nt versus $159 at the JW across the street. Next time, I will be trying the JW - though I don't know anything about it from personal experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
gmcgann, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Enjoying the July weather in Atlanta while eating outdoors at Shula’s 347 Grill is a wonderful summer experience! We’re glad you enjoyed the outdoor seating. With our recent multi-million dollar renovation, the hotel has been upgraded throughout. But we are sharing your comments with our maintenance team to further investigate what may have been the issue. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stopped here for the night without reservation, priced decently for the area, good customer service and staff was extremely helpful, clean rooms, walls are TOO thin, I could hear the people staying above me using the bathroom in the middle of the night which was a tad bothersome, would stay again if I got a good rate.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel for your overnight stay in our area. It is always wonderful to receive positive feedback on our customer service and staff! We want to ensure a restful night’s sleep so please don’t hesitate to let us know during your stay of any issues so that we may address them immediately. If you take a trip to the area again, we hope you will check out the various value packages that we offer!

Reviewed July 22, 2011

As with most Marriott's, a well appointed room and our sleep was good. Nice folks at the counter. Convenient to eating (1/4 mile walk) and a short walk to the MARTA (ATL's transportation).

As you may see by my title, parking cost are high. $20.00 per night and $30 if you allow valet to park. This is Buckhead, Ga., not New York! Paid $6.00 for overnight parking at the Crowne Royal in downtown Knowxville a couple of nights after staying in Buckhead.

Room Tip: Crisp white sheets, plenty of pillows
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
gmcgann, General Manager at Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay at the Atlanta Marriott Buckhead Hotel. We’re so pleased to see that you had a good night’s rest and were treated well by our staff. Knoxville is 90 miles away and perhaps not an equal comparison to Buckhead for parking rates. Although the rate is average for this area, we can certainly appreciate your feelings regarding this fee and regret the impact it made on your overall experience. For any future stays, we offer many specials and packages that include parking and you can find the details on our website. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.