“Nice Place”
Review of Hilton Atlanta

Hilton Atlanta
Ranked #86 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Hilton Atlanta is a nice place to stay downtown. There is valet and self parking. Parking is expensive, but convenient. There is a large lobby with resturants. The rooms are in need of an update, but are still nice rooms with great views of the city. The wireless Internet is expensive at $15.00 for 24 hours.

Once we parked the car, we did not go back until we left. Everything we wanted to see and go was with in walking distance. If not, there is always a cab out front waiting or the subway a few blocks away.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 10, 2008

Stayed for 5 nights in April, 2008 for a conference. Rooms were average size but bathrooms a little small. Rooms were pleasant and clean. Wireless access was pricey at about $20 for a day's use. Parking expensive as is the case with most downtown hotels I guess. I was on an upper floor and had AWESOME views of the city. Just wonderful views. Check-in was fast and staff very friendly. Located within 20 minutes from the airport.

It has several restaurants and a coffee shop. Located within a couple miles of MLK Historic Site and Jimmy Carter Presidential Library. Lots of restaurants within walking distance nearby. Aquarium within 6 blocks.

Overall, a pleasant stay and affordable rate for a downtown property but could use a little updating in rooms and common areas.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed May 4, 2008

Maybe we were tagged with "Hotwire" and given the worst room in the place - but this hotel is awful. Even though we only paid $75 with tax for the room, I still expected a whole lot more than what we got. The room had a LOUD water pipe running through the ceiling and it ran constantly. I don't know if it was the heating and cooling system or if the person above us took a 24-hour shower, but the noise was loud enough and annoying enough to keep me from getting a decent sleep. We thought about calling to get another room, but when we walked around the floor to get ice, we could hear the noise coming from all directions.The TV was tiny and got bad reception, and the bathroom was a bit dirty and the sink drain plug was broken. The room itself was small and outdated, but at least the bed was comfortable. We had little interaction with the staff, as we checked in with the self-service kiosk. Which was great - we could choose from a few rooms and pick our own and we had our room keys in a few minutes....until it ran out of paper and we ended up waiting in the long line anyway so we could find out which room we had been assigned. Parking was expensive, but I guess that is expected in any big city. The parking deck is low, so don't drive anything bigger than a sedan unless you want to walk a few blocks to the secondary deck.

Of course, if you want to spend $18.95 for one English Muffin to be delivered to your door in the morning by all means stay here (I'm not joking). Otherwise, avoid it.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2008

This Hilton definately lived up to the quality Hilton name. The lobby was very large but comfortable, with lots of bright greenery. They amazing glass front elevators gave us a great if not frightful view of the 20+ floor hotel, from top to bottom.

Our room was great, even though our view, towards Buckhead was a little bland.

We were able to walk to CNN, Coke and the Aquarium, very comfortably! I suggest this hotel for families and business travelers!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2008

Ok, this hotel had so many mixed reviews and as a loyal Hilton Diamond member I thought I would enjoy this hotel for an anniverary stay with my wife.

Well, it's mammoth huge, 1970's, and not worth the money.

The breakfast buffet is not up to Hilton standards, the Executive Floor lounge morning and evening is so basic.

Outdoor pool only, no jacuzzi - tennis courts and fitness center with dry sauna.

The rooftop restaurant (4 diamond/star) is closed on Sunday and Monday nights when we were there to celebrate.

The staff are not happy or friendly unless forced, so very disappointed in this property.

Yeah, they upgraded us to a huge room, but it's so old the bathroom is tiny, old tv, strange layout and mini-bar was not restocked. Grateful for the upgrade but be aware that even with a suite with two sofas, 'kitchen type area', two closets, that you should not expect much. No breakfast buffet vouchers as a Gold/Diamond HH member either.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2008

My Wife and I stayed at the Hilton in Atlanta Downtown for 4 nights as part of a 8 night trip to Georgia (the other 4 nights were in Savannah). As this was not our main holiday of the year we opted to get our hotels through Hotwire and try and save some money that way. In the end we opted for a Downtown location and managed to get the Hilton for $59 a night.

I find it hard to believe people are criticising this hotel especially having paid so little. Ok, it could do with some updating, but the lobby area is very nice and I found the staff to be extremely friendly, which was something I found to be the norm throughout the state of Georgia.

Whether we were given the dreaded "Hotwire" room or not, we found it to be extremely spacious with a to die for bed. The TV was old but functionable and the bathroom was on the small size, but had the best shower in the world ever. We were disappointed not to get a king bed room, but as we checked in at the same time as a number of Volleyball girls teams in town for a tournament we didn't mind too much. Our room was on the 5th floor (the girls got all the upper levels) but did have a nice view of the pool and tennis courts and some of Downtown.

When you see the likes of budget hotels in York England charging £103 ($200) a night or London hotels @ £200+ ($400) you realise that $59 to stay in a hotel in a major city in the USA is exceptional value. I would suggest all those reviewers finding fault with the Hilton having paid $59 through Hotwire get on the next plane to England and then see what value you get for a similar outlay....pretty much a special rate Travelodge on a motorway if you are lucky!!!!

Location was good but Downtown is a stange place in Atlanta. A number of forum posters warned me that it pretty much shuts down in the evening and I must admit that was true. All we tended to see out and about were tourists (Volleyball girls) and a few homeless, but I never felt unsafe in any area around the Hilton. The MARTA station at the Peachtree Center is about 5mins walk away either on the street or via walkway through the parking garage on the left of the main Hilton entrance. There are a sprinkling of restaurants in close proximity to the hotel including Hard Rock and Hooters. For breakfast try the Corner Cafe Bakery a few blocks away but bear in mind it doesn't open on Sundays.

During the day however the Downtown area is a hive of activity with workers and of course tourists going to the attractions. It is a reasonable 10-15mins walk to Centennial Park, and from there you are next door to the World of Coca Cola (excellent), Georgia Aquarium (excellent but soooooo busy) and the CNN Center (unfortunately closed during our trip due to the tornado). Also with easy access to the MARTA system you can get upto Midtown and Buckhead very easily. In Midtown try the Flying Biscuit, a truly outstanding eatery and then walk it off over in Piedmont Park.

As other reviews have stated the downtown area was quite badly affected by the tornado which hit just prior to our trip. Centennial Park was out of bounds (and still is I believe), CNN Center tours were postponed and a number of roads around Downtown were blocked by police. Falling glass is still a problem around the whole of Downtown so just bear that in mind if you have a trip approaching. I'm sure it will all be back to normal soon.

Atlanta was a nice city although very much a car city. We used MARTA to get around and it did the job, although there was a fair amount of walking involved as well. There is plenty to keep tourists busy for 3 or 4 days, maybe even longer if you decide to head out to the likes of Stone Mountain Park (we did, it was awesome). I wouldn't say it is my favourite city in the USA but one thing I would say is that the Georgia people really do know how to welcome people. Some of the nicest people I have come across in all my trips around the world.

Back to the hotel and it is hard to fault the Hilton at the price we paid. If it was full rate I would consider somewhere else but if you can get it on Hotwire it is a bargain. I would say it is closer to a 3 star than a 4 star but Hotwire rates it at 3.5*, which is about right in my opinion.

I would certainly consider the hotel again if we decide to return to Atlanta in the future.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Stayed three nights for business. Check in was easy and efficient. Building is a relic of the early 80's. Rooms are large but unattractive. I stayed in both a Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn Express in March and they far exceeded the rooms at this Hilton. Old furniture, ancient TV, expensive internet...the bed was nice, however. I would definitely choose another updated hotel next time. Either the Marriott or the Omni.

Be cautious with the cabs in Atlanta, they don't turn on the meter and give you a "flat rate" at the end of your trip. Ask the rate before entering the cab.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business