“Amazing food, amazing service! ”
Review of Empire State South

Empire State South
Ranked #126 of 4,066 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I don't know where to begin. Great, different drinks. I love hard cider and I had a very crisp, wonderfully light cider. Great ambience too.

I'll admit, I've wanted to try the restaurant bc of all the buzz. At first I was thinking I'd be hard pressed to find something I'd like. But I took the server's recommendations for a puffed rice dish (a "beginner" course) with kimchi purée, bologna and a coddled egg. It was AMAZING. Then I had the pork dish and it was served 3 ways - pork belly, homemade sausage and another piece that was like a roast or something. Absolutely divine. And then we had this thing called a milk jug bomb that was outstanding - it was chocolate mousse on chocolate mousse, covered in chocolate. Sinful. I give it TEN thumbs up! Excellent service.

One caution: the chicken leg dish comes with the foot on the chicken. Apparently it's a farm-to-table thing to show it's organic. I could have done without a foot on my table (they will serve it without the foot if you ask). Just a warning. :)

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Everything was pretty much lackluster on my third and final trip to ESS. Service was Ok, but back of house was clearly out of whack because it took 3.5 hours to eat our meal. They kept apologizing and gave us a couple free apps, but it was annoying and im pretty sure they were happy to keep selling wine while we waited and waited for dishes to come out.

The Ribeye dish is a rip off. Its medallions, not a nice sizzling marbled ribeye you would expect for 41 bucks. The menu does not designate, which is my biggest gripe. I would guess it was 5oz of meat total. On top of that, the meat and sides were literally cold to the touch. They had good intentions but struck out in my opinion. I would have sent the dish back but it was already 10:30 and i just wanted to get out of there. We were seated at 8.

All in all, I was unimpressed for a third time. Mainly because everything is so expensive. You expect a lot when you spend 100 per person. Honestly, the best part of the meal were the fresh warm pretzel rolls they give you.

I will be taking my money and appetite elsewhere in the future. I never have experiences like this with Ford Fry or 5th group. Im always blown away with them and usually have a smaller check.

2  Thank Atl E
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Knowing the style of this location I assumed the food would be great. It not only was great but was done in a timely manner and was delicious. Service was great....drinks maybe a bit overpriced but they did cocktails that require more skill so its understandable....but the food was definitely fair priced for the taste and quality.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I have visited this restaurant numerous times. I never tire of excellent service and incredibly fresh food. Great space, people watching and dining experience.....Bravo!!!!

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Our flights were canceled out of Fort Lauderdale to Boston due to the snowstorm so we decided to drive cross country to get home instead. We picked Atlanta as a destination so that we could go to at this restaurant, which we've always heard about and wanted to try. It was well worh it. The service was great and the food was even better. We got the six course tasting menu and each course was better than the last. The food was different and delicious. Serving sizes were healthy, and we felt like we truly got a sample of the restaurants offeringsofferingsand my husband said the line pairing with the best he's ever had restaurantsrestaurant'sofferingsofferingsby doing the tasting menu. And my husband said that the wine pairing was the best wine pairing he's ever had