“Fun and Hip Brunch Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Empire State South

Empire State South
Ranked #113 of 3,924 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Midtown
Weehawken, New Jersey
“Fun and Hip Brunch Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

I went to Empire State South last Sunday and was definitely impressed! The service was outstanding and friendly! The menu itself is great and has something for everybody! Also do not forget to try something from the sweet table.

• Visited April 2012

Dublin, Ireland
“Go here for brunch. Stop looking elsewhere. Just go here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

I had the most amazing slow cooked porkbelly served over a bed of grits and roast brussel sprouts here. It was sensational.

Great cocktail menu & great coffee too.

• Visited February 2012
TN
“What a brunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012 via mobile

This place is off the hook! Pimento cheese for breakfast, why not. House made doughnuts and pastries, sure. Crazy egg dishes! If you need something different, inventive and tasty...this is the place

Asia
“Go with a small group”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

This restaurant is opposite the Margaret Mitchell house. And it was pretty windy that evening.

The bunch of us went there after the day's meeting. Perhaps we were too many--30. But it took more than one hour from ordering to getting the first starter.

That soured the mood a little because most of us were jet lagged, tired and somewhat crabby.

The strange thing was that we had reservations--which meant they knew we were coming--and the restaurant was not particularly crowded.

So go in a small group.

Visited March 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

ESS has gotten amazing reviews here in Atlanta, so I've been really wanting to go for a while now. Maybe it was built up too much in my head, but I was very underwhelmed.

We went at 8pm on a Thursday night and the restaurant was not busy at all. We were seated over by the bar which was fine as the bar was empty. However, it took our waitress over 15 minutes to even say hello and bring us water. That is NOT ok, especially in a nice expensive restaurant. The "In Jars" appetizer had some hits and misses, the pimento cheese with bacon marmalade was the best thing we ate the entire night. I had the trout as my main main dish and it was just strange. Large pieces of bok choi, Asian mushrooms, small gnoochi and grapefruit in a broth. I love all those elements and so thought it would be a great, unique combo. The pieces were all so big, that you could never get more than one element on your fork without sawing it all to pieces. So instead of a cool melding of flavors, I got a bite of grapefruit and then a bite of mushroom, and so on. Not exactly an culinary delight. My fish was cooked perfectly and was very good.
My husband had the duck and he liked it, and it was cooked perfectly, but the overall dish was nothing special. we split the "Orange Poof" dessert which was an orange flan type of dessert....it tasted just like a push-pop, which was cool. I thought it was good and would reorder it if we ever go back.
Overall, the food was technically cooked very well, but the dishes just didn't come together for me and the poor service was the ultimate deal breaker. I would recommend Horseradish, JTC, and South City Kitchen for yummy southern food over this. I know this some cool southern with asian influences, which sounds so good, but didn't work for me.

• Visited March 2012