“Go here for brunch. Stop looking elsewhere. Just go here”
Review of Empire State South

Empire State South
Ranked #132 of 3,957 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Dublin, Ireland
“Go here for brunch. Stop looking elsewhere. Just go here”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I had the most amazing slow cooked porkbelly served over a bed of grits and roast brussel sprouts here. It was sensational.

Great cocktail menu & great coffee too.

• Visited February 2012

TN
“What a brunch!”
Reviewed March 16, 2012 via mobile

This place is off the hook! Pimento cheese for breakfast, why not. House made doughnuts and pastries, sure. Crazy egg dishes! If you need something different, inventive and tasty...this is the place

Asia
“Go with a small group”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

This restaurant is opposite the Margaret Mitchell house. And it was pretty windy that evening.

The bunch of us went there after the day's meeting. Perhaps we were too many--30. But it took more than one hour from ordering to getting the first starter.

That soured the mood a little because most of us were jet lagged, tired and somewhat crabby.

The strange thing was that we had reservations--which meant they knew we were coming--and the restaurant was not particularly crowded.

So go in a small group.

Visited March 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“not impressed”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

ESS has gotten amazing reviews here in Atlanta, so I've been really wanting to go for a while now. Maybe it was built up too much in my head, but I was very underwhelmed.

We went at 8pm on a Thursday night and the restaurant was not busy at all. We were seated over by the bar which was fine as the bar was empty. However, it took our waitress over 15 minutes to even say hello and bring us water. That is NOT ok, especially in a nice expensive restaurant. The "In Jars" appetizer had some hits and misses, the pimento cheese with bacon marmalade was the best thing we ate the entire night. I had the trout as my main main dish and it was just strange. Large pieces of bok choi, Asian mushrooms, small gnoochi and grapefruit in a broth. I love all those elements and so thought it would be a great, unique combo. The pieces were all so big, that you could never get more than one element on your fork without sawing it all to pieces. So instead of a cool melding of flavors, I got a bite of grapefruit and then a bite of mushroom, and so on. Not exactly an culinary delight. My fish was cooked perfectly and was very good.
My husband had the duck and he liked it, and it was cooked perfectly, but the overall dish was nothing special. we split the "Orange Poof" dessert which was an orange flan type of dessert....it tasted just like a push-pop, which was cool. I thought it was good and would reorder it if we ever go back.
Overall, the food was technically cooked very well, but the dishes just didn't come together for me and the poor service was the ultimate deal breaker. I would recommend Horseradish, JTC, and South City Kitchen for yummy southern food over this. I know this some cool southern with asian influences, which sounds so good, but didn't work for me.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank lab2323
North Georgia
“Fun experience”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We came for Saturday brunch and enjoyed our meal. Food was good; a little "different", but pretty much what I expected. Our waiter was excellent and we liked the ambiance. We will probably not visit often, but we definitely liked it enough to try their dinner menu.
Here are my personal suggestions to make the most of your visit:
make reservations even for brunch- we didn't have to wait long, but people with reservations were seated immediately,
order an appetizer- the kitchen was a little slow getting our main course out which would have seemed like a long wait without the appetizer but it allowed us to enjoy our pimento cheese,
check out the menu online first,
be prepared to spend some time there and don't go when you have to be somewhere right after your meal
don't forget to ask for parking validation