“Outstanding food. Different presentation.”
Review of Tantra Restaurant - CLOSED

Tantra Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Peachtree Hills
Description: Visit Tantra restaurant in South Buckhead which features a contemporary American menu highlighted with the exotic flavors of Persian and Indian cuisine. The menu is crafted by Executive Chef Terry Dwyer and his staff. Popular items include: mussels in roasted pepper broth with chipotle and star anise, lump crab kuku with orange-verjuice sauce drizzled over the top, large plump scallops caramelized in a basil rub with a dried lime beurre blanc to compliment, grilled Australian lamb served with crisp eggplant frites and horseradish-ghost chile aioli.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I had a fish I'd never heard of; my wife had scallops. Both were outstanding. Both prepared very different from the everyday "nice" restaurant. And baklava cheesecake. That's worth coming back by itself!

Both of us thought it was cold in the restaurant. We both had to wear jackets -- in August, in ATL. Very quiet atmosphere, easy to talk, although the background music seemed a little loud sometimes.

Service was a little inattentive. Seemed unaware of what was going on. Maybe just a little disorganized. When he came to check on us, and I asked for a second margarita, I asked him to slow the food down so we could enjoy the drink and conversation. A little after that, the food showed up, and a little later the drinks came. I ordered a desert to share, and some brandy. The cheesecake came, and I asked for a second fork; We were half done when he came by and asked if our drink had arrived yet.(It hadn't). So he left and went to another table to pick up some plates.

In other situations I would have been disgusted with the service; but the food is just so good! No way to make me unhappy.

This is a keeper!

There are newer reviews for Tantra Restaurant

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is a really great little gem off Peachtree in Atlanta. My husband and I visited for our anniversary. We were looking for a romantic spot that wasn't stuffy, but also featured a unique menu. We found just that in Tantra!

There was a group here for a business dinner, as well as several couples and a few tables of friends, so this restaurant can really be visited by anyone looking for an interesting evening.

I highly recommend trying one of their signature cocktails, or ordering a more unique libation. I had the desert rose specialty drinks, and my husband ordered a rusty nail. Both were well mixed and wonderfully presented.

For appetizer, we had the hummus with lamb based on other reviews we had seen. It was a very strong hummus, and went very well with the small bits of ground lamb - we really enjoyed it. For dinner I had the grilled lamb with eggplant frites, and my husband had the braised pork shoulder. Both were absolutely fantastic. My lamb came with this very spicy aioli, which was a wonderful compliment (though use VERY sparingly - it's HOT!). My husband said his dinner reminded him of a persian version of southern comfort food - his pork shoulder was vindaloo style, the red beans were nicely seasoned and the herb grits were some of the best grits I've had to date. Finally, we finished with the white chocolate custard cake, which was much lighter than I expected and capped the evening off wonderfully. Pro tip: the vanilla lavender ice cream is to die for! I'd get a bowl of just that for dessert next time.

The only drawback was the noise - there were a couple of large groups in the restaurant and the noise carried quite a bit. It wasn't so loud I needed to shout, but if you're looking for a quiet romantic spot I just want you to be prepared. The manager/ owner was very gracious about it and even closed a curtain so we would have a little more privacy. It definitely won't prevent us from returning.

1  Thank SouthernMotoMama
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I truly enjoyed this place and am going again next weekend! The food is so unique with the blend of spices, herbs, etc. Very cool cocktails too - I tried 2 or 3 different ones just because they were so unique. The decor is beautiful - you feel like you are in another country. The website says the food is Mediterranean, Indian, and Persian and that's exactly what it is! I love all of these foods and the combinations are wonderful. The quality is superb too! Would be a very unique date night or special celebration night out!

1  Thank redatl
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went to Tantra a few nights ago and had a nice evening. It started when we found much less traffic than we expected given all that was going on downtown. We found the place uncrowded on a Saturday evening at 7...meaning, I guess, that late dining is the norm there. There is only valet parking.

The music playing constantly was annoying (some sort of South Asian generic) but the level was tolerable. Quiet conversation was possible throughout the evening.

Regarding ambience, this place is fine. We also kind of enjoyed an idiosyncratic seating arrangement. The tables and chairs are not all lined up in a grid...some of the seats are at a diagonal from the prevailing arrangement. For some reason we liked that.

The service, once it got going, was very good. I thought we sat a bit too long before anyone appeared, but not really too bad. It always seems longer when servers and other staff are walking by your table constantly and not making eye contact. Our server, though, was quite good and knowledgable about the food and the wines.

The wine list is pretty extensive and the cocktails are fine...and not too expensive in Atlanta's context.

We liked the menu a great deal. It is Indian-tinged but also constructed so that there are many dishes from which to choose that don't refer directly to that cuisine. My wife had a series of small dishes...all were fine. The "lamb tartar," (Kibbe Nayeh) though, was a disappointment...it was spread thin on a matzoh (!) and virtually tasteless...or at least too subtle. Otherwise all the dishes were very good. A nice beet salad...lump crab...all good. I had the lamb chop entree. It was quite good...served with nice sides. The menu doesn't list all the possible sides, but the server took care of that and made good suggestions. We finished off with a nice white chocolate cake.

We enjoyed Tantra. I would say that there's nothing really exceptional about it except that it meets the expectations of people wanting good solid food with good service, which is more than one can say about other restaurants that are in a higher price range. The menu is just interesting enough to set the place apart from others, but not so exotic as to be off-putting to people with "American" tastes.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We dined on the small plates menu and were pleased with each dish. The hummus and Naan was more than enough for two and delicious with both the Naan and remains of the pre offered laviosh and almond cheese spread.
Next we each had salmon poppadum’s filled with smoked salmon fresh carrots, cabbage and onions. We felt the two pieces in each order were sufficient. Finally I had the roasted golden beet salad with arugula and blanched almonds while my spouse enjoyed the paneer samosas with mushy pea and mint sauce. Our beverage of choice was champagne by the glass and it was a nice pour and properly chilled. The wines by the glass are limited and I think adding one or two chardonnay offerings would enhance the list. Our server was very attentive and knew the menu and drink offerings well. My only complaint would be the ABT disease infecting the floor manager and clearing staff. ABT stands for aggressive bussing of tables meaning we could barely finish before someone was after the dish. I suggest buy more dishes! Would we come back-yes and we will try the entrees next time.