“Very good food”

Goin' Coastal Seafood - Atlanta
Reserve with OpenTable
Goin' Coastal Seafood - Atlanta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #267 of 3,988 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: North Highland
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The seafood medley was very good and the prices were great also.

There are newer reviews for Goin' Coastal Seafood - Atlanta

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Loved the Bowl of Seafood (large pieces of fish, shrimp, scallops, etc. in broth) and the fried oyster appetizers. Free parking in the lot around the corner. Great server. I dressed up, but could have gone in jeans.

Reviewed December 20, 2011

This restaurant was amazing! Great wine list, unique specials and a friendly/helpful waitstaff. This was our first visit to Atlanta and we can't wait to go back to Goin' Coastal!

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Great addition to the eclectic mix of restaurants in the cool and hip Atlanta area of Virginia Highlands. Great, FRESH seafood dishes, with an upscale southern flair, cozy seating area, and fun bar in the wating area. AMAZING cornbread!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We found this seafood restaurant through another website, but I had to share it with the TripAdvisor community. We were in the Virginia-Highlands neighborhood of Atlanta and wanted seafood. We could have not asked for a better restaurant, especially since we were REALLY hungry!

Now, before I start I must inform you that I have a rather larger family by today's standards. We have five children and their ages range from 20 to 8. Three are teenage boys that can eat many a grown man under the table. So, our bill was was a bit high. However we all thought it was worth it.

For starters, we had the deep fried pickles, the gator tail, and a full pound of peel and eat shrimp. Like I said, our boys can eat! I was surprised at the tenderness of the gator tail. I have had it before and it tended to be chewy. It was served with an Asian inspired sweet chili sauce. The deep fried pickles were breaded lightly and served with a chipotle cream sauce that tasted a lot like a spicy ranch dressing that you might find at another steak house chain known for their deep fried onions. The pickles were enjoyed so much, that we had two orders of them. As for the peel and eat shrimp, they did not last long on the table. They were sweet and tender, served with their home made seasoning on top and cocktail sauce on the side. The pickles were $6, the gator tail was $8 and the shrimp was $21 for the full pound.

The main courses were priced from $18 to $25. My husband and I had the Southern Fried platters with a combo of rock shrimp, oysters and catfish. The breading was very light and not saturated with oil. Neither of us was happy with the remoulade sauce (not spicy enough), so we dipped in the chipotle cream sauce. We both had coleslaw and a jalepeno corn bread pudding. Truthfully, I was not a fan of the coleslaw. The jalepeno in the corn bread pudding was not over powering, but subtle. It was not a true bread pudding, but rather it had a consistency similar to a spoon bread.

Our eldest and our sixteen year old tried the lobster tacos. The lobster was flash fried and served in soft corn tortillas with a citrus based corn salsa and shoe string french fries. The boys raved about them! Our eighteen year old opted for the lobster macaroni and cheese. Now, I make a mean mac and cheese. This was an good second to mine. It had fontina, gruyere and cheddar cheeses mixed with lobster. When my eldest tasted it, he ordered one too! Our two youngest had the fried shrimp with fries and were very satisfied.

We ordered a lot of food and finished it all! Combined with double appetizers, eight main courses (my eldest added the lobster mac and cheese), tax and tip, our bill came to $200. We are not in the practice of spending that much money on a lunch, especially when we are traveling. Our visit wasn't a normal lunch. It was more of a celebration that day. So, we were willing to splurge.

Now, if you decide to visit, I suggest you do it on off hours. From what I understand, it can get crowded and a bit loud. Still, if I get a chance to visit again, you better believe I would any time!

Been to Goin' Coastal Seafood - Atlanta? Share your experiences!