“Romeo & Juliet - Well Done!”

The Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse
Ranked #33 of 290 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the Atlanta Shakespeare Company, the Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse on Peachtree Street has an enchanting history and a prime location in downtown Atlanta. We are a professional theatre with food and drinks available before each performance (and don't forget the apple crisp at intermission!)
Atlanta, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Romeo & Juliet - Well Done!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I saw the last show of Romeo & Juliet 2014 season.
The cast was amazing! This was a top notch performance! The food was pretty good with healthy portions. I suggest that you buy the floor seats and get there very early; we did and got great seats. The staff was SO Helpful. I wanted to take some photos before the show but my phone battery was dying. I asked an usher if I could charge my phone near the playhouse entrance. She got permission and charged my phone in the box office for 30 minutes so that I could take pictures with my fiends before the show! One comment about the manager; there was a man that was talking during the first act and it was very annoying. I asked the manager to speak with him because he was disturbing all of the guests around him. The manager did speak to him and he said NOTHING the entire 2nd Act! I'm so thankful that she handled that situation with grace and tact and saved the experience for numerous guests!
I really enjoyed myself and will return.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Stephanie Rose J

Atlanta, GA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A Good Evening, Mostly”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Visited on a Friday night to see a performance of Much Ado About Nothing. The cast was exceptional - accomplished, seasoned, bright, and humorous. The meal selections were decent, about what one would expect in a bar/tavern environment. For those who have not been to this theater, there are three seating sections - two on the floor-level and a balcony. We chose the balcony, thinking it would afford a better view of the performance. It did, but at the expense of sound. We were seated directly over one side of the stage, yet it was still difficult to hear and distinguish all the dialogue. An hour or so into the play, I walked down to the lower level and was amazed at the difference in sound quality. If you have a choice, opt for either the floor or boxed seats, and you'll enjoy the experience much more. All in all, a very nice evening.

Visited March 2014
6 Thank OnDaRoad46
Atlanta, Georgia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great theater”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Loved the Shakespeare play, wonderful theater company and cast. Went with a group of teenagers and they loved it too.
Casual atmosphere is great.

Visited July 2013
Marietta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Phenomenal for Shakespeare nerds as well as casual fans and first timers”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I've been here twice, once with a large group of friends for a birthday and again last week with my teenage daughter (to see The Taming of the Shrew). The playhouse/tavern truly is a gem hidden off of Peachtree Street, and the acting company is amazing - currently performing THREE plays in repertory (Romeo and Juliet, Much Ado and Shrew). Good "pub" food and an excellent (and I mean excellent) selection of draft and bottled beers and wine - along with desserts at intermission. Lots of folks there with friends or on dates, and a younger crowd that I expected. Everyone laughed and laughed and had a great time; my daughter has been buzzing about it ever since and asking when we can go back. It's a really fun evening. Don't miss it.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank RSBonds
Valdosta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The bard would himself would enjoy a night out here.”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We drove to Atlanta from Valdsota for opening night of "Much Ado About Nothing". We arrived early to pick up our balcnony seat tickets; balcony is 'first come' seating. When we entered the thratre, we were pleasantly suprised to see that there really was not a bad seat in the house. We chose our seats and then went to the kitchen serving area to choose get our food. There were four of us in our group, and each of us tried something different. The descriptions on their menu on their website are quite accurate, so I won't describe the food. I can only tell you that everything that I tasted myself was very good. I tried the Bread Basket (split with my wife), tasted my wife's Cornish Pasty, and I got the King's Dinner Sandwich. They have a great selection of "malt beverages", as well. An interesting note: the creative director was also walking about the tavern greeting and speaking with people; he was also bussing tables!

The play was acted VERY professionally. The stage, the costumes, direction - all aspects made for a great show! The cast was amazing. Beatrice and Benedik were, of course, the 'stars' of the show, but EVERYONE gave dedicated, passionate performances. Outstanding were Don John who was captured as a brooding jealous brother and the head of the guards who was tremendously entertaining.

This was the first of what the first of what we hope will be many trips to Atlanta to go to this wonderful playhouse.

Visited February 2014