“To Be or Not to Be” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse

The Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse
Ranked #29 of 281 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the Atlanta Shakespeare Company, the Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse on Peachtree Street has an enchanting history and a prime location in downtown Atlanta. We are a professional theatre with food and drinks available before each performance (and don't forget the apple crisp at intermission!)
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“To Be or Not to Be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I would say "To be" there is the best decision you could make. This Shakespeare Playhouse has everything going for it. The location is right across from Emory University Hospital Midtown which has ample parking at night in their parking garage. The cost is $5. The doors open 75 minutes before the play begins and dinner can be purchased. We get there a bit earlier than that to stand in line because the seating is first come first served. You purchase a ticket (there or online) to one of three sections: main floor, boxseats or balcony. The main floor has the more expensive tickets but you have more room to move. We tried the boxseats (second in expense) this last time and I did find the area limited for movement. Once the play begins everyone settles in and the personal space intrusion is not noticed. I have not tried the balcony (least expensive) because it is further limited in space and tabletop and my husband is 6'2". This is a dinner theater so the food must be mentioned. They cater the food in. The menu has regular items and they have specials that change monthly. We are vegetarians so the menu is limited but they have enough items to be completely satisfied. The bread basket is my favorite (a variety of baguette, hard roll, banana bread or cranberry bread) and the soups are delicious. There is an intermission where dessert and drink is offered. The play actors and actresses are amazing. They are so talented and seem to be as a family. Afterwards they stand by to shake your hand with kind greetings. My husband and I have seen five plays there so far. We travel down from Chattanooga, Tennessee and make it a special night. We have not been disappointed. They also open their doors on Thursday mornings to local junior high and high schools. I took my granddaughter (15 years old) and she thoroughly enjoyed it. It was fun to see the children laughing at Shakespeare's humor (Oh, I digress.)

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Midge P

Dalton, Georgia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great Dinner Theater”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I took my wife here for a recent date night. The food is quite good, and there is a good selection of beverages. Most importantly, many menu options cater to allergy sensitivities.

My wife is gluten intolerant, but was able to enjoy both a soup & entree as well as both GF beer and wine.

The tavern is set up in a fashion similar to the Globe Theater with seating in three areas. All seating areas are General Admission, so get there early to secure your seat.

Minneapolis
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“great show, crowded venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I loved this concept and the show was great although we were jammed into a table in the first box on the main floor and we were there 30 minutes before show. I was pretty uncomfortable the whole show. I would not recommend eating here based on what I had. Veggie sandwich - bread soggy, had been wrapped in plastic.

1 Thank mpls210
Atlanta GA
167 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Nice Dinner Playhouse- a liitle cramped”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Talent was very good, Buffet line food was ok but the entire audience setting is a bit cramped with little room to move

Visited May 2013
2 Thank rfamily9
Duluth, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have been here 4 times now to see 4 different shows and have NEVER been disappointed. The quality of the shows is superb and the food is great. Yes; the food is served cafeteria style but we knew that going into it. I absolutely love that they are dedicated to performing each show as written. That said, we recently saw "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged)" which was side-splitting funny. While this is a much more "modern" play in many respects, it is still true to the quality of entertainment we have come to expect from The Shakespeare Tavern. We brought my parents along and they can not wait to come back.