“GREAT PLACE !”

The Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse
Ranked #34 of 293 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the Atlanta Shakespeare Company, the Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse on Peachtree Street has an enchanting history and a prime location in downtown Atlanta. We are a professional theatre with food and drinks available before each performance (and don't forget the apple crisp at intermission!)
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Take time to visit this place while in the area. Had a great time with a large group with no problems.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We went here for my 50th birthday celebration. What's not to love about Shakespeare and food? It was a really enjoyable evening, perhaps more for the occasion than the place. The food was ok at best. It surprised me being cafeteria style. It was overpriced and not very good. We saw The Tempest. I've read all the plays and seen a lot of Shakespeare (much of it in Stratford Upon Avon by the Royal Shakespeare Theatre) and knew that The Tempest would not be my favorite play. It wasn't but the Tavern did it well. The sets were very clever, the acting fine, costumes, lighting, etc all fine. It was the play the weekend of my birthday so that's why we chose it. Again, the whole experience made for a festive, enjoyable evening but in the future I would eat elsewhere and only attend plays I know will be winners.

1  Thank georgia1
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We saw the play Julius Caesar and the acting was okay. The food was not that good, and I was expecting to get nice food, not sandwiches wrapped in plastic or salad that was not rinsed with packaged dressing. Also, before we entered the actual theater, we were asked to stand in a line. There were no seating, and it was a pretty long wait.

3  Thank Jeanne_Posthumus
Reviewed April 28, 2013

What a blast we have every time we go. The balcony in the middle is perfect for overall viewing. No matter what you see, it's a great experience. Whether you take out of town guest or go all season it's always a fun time. I have 2 sisters that are vegetarians. There is plenty for them to eat as well; not just meat pies and kings road sandwiches. Yum!

1  Thank hhstokes
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We recently attended the production of Julius Caesar, and the truth is, I was not all that impressed. First, I was expecting better food for the price, not sandwiches rapped in plastic. We sat in the balcony and the view was excellent, but the acoustic are horrible. The most disappointing aspect I felt was the southern accents that where articulated by the actors and actresses, trying to convince the audience this set up was ancient Rome. Another turn off was while we where waiting in the lobby before the playhouse opened we could still hear rehearsal of the battle scenes and other sequences taking place, and this told me that the characters where not comfortable and still where trying to figure out what to do...

2  Thank J-R. C
Jeanette M, Public Relations Manager at The Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. We want to clarify that the "rehearsal" you heard while you were waiting for the house to open is our Fight Call, where the actors review the fights in the play. This is a safety practice that is done before every show where any fight is choreographed. It is required.