“great”

The Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse
Ranked #33 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the Atlanta Shakespeare Company, the Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse on Peachtree Street has an enchanting history and a prime location in downtown Atlanta. We are a professional theatre with food and drinks available before each performance (and don't forget the apple crisp at intermission!)
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This place is great for those who love to watch plays. I watched on Sunday evening and there was a good crowd and atmosphere. The actors were great and the play was also good. I am not going to comment on food as I did not have any. Also the play was kinda long (2 and half hours) but that is expected from Shakespeare play. Great place to go for a date.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

This theater group is top notch! And a bargain for entertainment, as well as dining. Seating is first come/first served for each section. Also meal service is discontinued before the performance begins, so be sure to arrive 30-45 minutes before show time. Meal service is self-serve, limited, but the selections are all good. They have a bar, quite a few selections of beer and wine. It is quite casual, but still professional.

1  Thank JennATl
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Have seen both Shakespeare and non-Shakespeare plays at this venue. Both were very good, but my personal preference is for the Shakespeare plays. Food is limited but very good.

5  Thank MadCobraStyle
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We saw a production of the Canterbury Tales at the Shakespeare Tavern. The venue was not what I'd expected (I expected it to be more like the Globe), but it was comfortable, quaint, and cozy. There wasn't a bad seat in the house, and the food and drinks were reasonably priced. (We weren't very hungry, so we got only the bread basket, but every roll in it was absolutely delicious, and it was a whole lot of bread!)

The show was an interesting adaptation of the Tales. I thought it was done really well, especially since the Canterbury Tales wasn't written for the stage.

My only regret is that I don't live closer and can't go more often.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Another great gem in Atlanta. I have been to several plays and they have not dissappointed. The food is on par, not excellent, have to get the apple cobbler during intermission. Not a bad seat in the house and the performers are gifted!