“BEWARE OF THE VERBAL "EARLY CHECK IN" POLICY”

Emory Conference Center Hotel
Ranked #3 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed at the Emory Hotel last year for New Years and had SUCH a wonderful experience we thought we'd stay here again. What a mistake. We booked the hotel from Friday the 30th through Monday the 2nd. Our flight was overbooked and I was offered 2 options by the airline: arrive in Atlanta at 1am Friday morning or Friday 9pm. Before I made my decision, I called the hotel to make sure early check in was okay because I don't want to arrive at 9pm and waste the whole day and even more so, I didn't want to arrive early and be charged for a full night.

When I called, I spoke with Natalia. I specifically stated to her, I will be arriving at 2 am, will an early check in be possible? She said, no problem, she would put a note in the computer and all will be fine.

SO, when we arrived at 1:30am as scheduled and discussed, I was told I was going to be charged for a full night. This is a verbal policy apparently because it is listed NO WHERE. Not on their site, not at the front desk, not on our confirmation.... no where.

The clerk says to me, he can't waive the charge, however, if I come back in the morning and speak to D'andra, the manager, she can take care of the charge for me.

I came back in the morning and D'andra says she can't waive it but failed to show me the policy in black and white..... because it doesn't exist.

D' Andra gives me the number to a Jack Brunson whom is the "Director of Rooms" here at the Emory and tells me her is her boss and to call him. I called him at 11am and left a message to call me back. I called again at noon, 1:30, 2:15, 4:23 and 5:09 when I was told he has gone home for the evening and will return on Monday after new years.

So about 10 minutes ago at 8:24pm, I get a call from the front desk from the night manager. He said Jack told him to call me to address the problem. The night manager tells me they are going to stick to this non-existing policy and go forward with charging me for the night. He apologized and tried to sympathize with me, but I was told I could check in early and no mention of charges were made. If I knew I was going to be charged, I would have taken the later flight.... no big deal. Now, it's a big deal.

I just got off the phone with Discover Card. I will NOT be paying for this night and we will be leaving this place TONIGHT and staying somewhere else. I can not believe they would do this to a repeat customer.

And FYI, if you do plan on staying here, make sure you ask for a room in the "NEW" wing of the hotel as the older rooms are smaller and musty.

Here is the "fine print" directly from their website.

Guarantee Policy
All reservations require credit card guarantee due at time of booking.

Cancellation Policy
Reservations must be cancelled 24 hours prior to arrival to avoid a penalty of one night room and tax

Check-in time after 4 p.m. Check-out time before 12 p.m. Rates subject to change. Property is completely 100% non smoking. Family Policy - Children under 17 years of age stay free with an accompanied adult. Pets not allowed. Service Animals Only Adult Rollaway available at charge of 15.00 USD per night Crib and Self Parking are free of charge. Microwaves available at charge of USD 25.00 per stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dcar777
Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed December 27, 2011

The staff made an extra special effort to make sure the arrangements were perfect and the service was helpful and responsiive. We had some budget limitations and they worked with us within our budget to provide a marvelous experience for our staff. They are great and everyone had a wonderful time. We want to do it again next year. Barbara C.

Reviewed December 14, 2011

As always, the Emory Conference Center Hotel lived up to its reputation as a first rate destination hotel. My room was extremely comfortable and the hospitality and professionalism of all the staff with whom I came into contact was excellent. In addition to spending the night, I had arranged for a dinner meeting which included about 25 guests. The food was excellent, and the service and ambiance were the best! The setting for the ECCH is so beautiful and relaxing. It's an in-town location, with an out-of-town feel. Just wonderful!

Reviewed December 10, 2011

This was my first visit to the Emory Conference Center Hotel and I'll definitely come back! This facility is not your cookie cutter hotel and the staff is beyond friendly and helpful. My company held a meeting here and this is a perfect spot for any meeting. They make sure your meetings rooms have all the equipment required and they have this wonderful area that is constantly filled with snacks and beverages. Parking is free and the rooms are lovely. They are not huge rooms but are up to date and very stylish. The best part of this trip was meeting Mr. Watson (Concierge) who has been at this property for 17 years! He is a joyful man who can't help but to make one smile. I hope to return soon!

1  Thank Laura T
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Our 29 scholarship students from 6 colleges in Georgia were brought to the Emory Conference Center Hotel for 5 days which included our Thanksgiving Meal. The very best experience with a hotel in 7 years. From the initial contact, the staff was 5 star, the food was 5 star and the experience was 10 star! Thank you Emory Conference Center Hotel and we will see you next year!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I have worked with ECCH staff twice to plan large events and parties. The experience was pleasant; the staff was great. The location is perfect for domestic or international guest. Erett Falkie was a pleasure to work with.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 8, 2011

As an event coordinator, I highly recommend the Emory Conference Center Hotel for your next business meeting. Their meeting manager Jessica Jakushev will diligently work with you from the planning stage through the execution stage of the event to ensure that they exceed your expectations in all areas. The staff was cordial and response. The facility is elegantly appointed, easily accessible and immaculate. The food is excellent.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business