“Not again. I'm done.”

Courtyard Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #85 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Courtyard Atlanta March 2013. I have stayed at this hotel before and loved it, especially the beautiful bathrooms with the glass showers and barn doors. The most important reason for returning was the Intermezzo Cafe in the lobby. The barn doors have been removed. The glass shower door leaks into the bathroom floor. The TV had snow on all the channels, yes all. And the hallway smelt of a dead person. The result of reporting the dead smell? Air fresher sprayed so you then smell dead man covered in spring flowers. Yuck! Upon arrival & after booking the room, we found out that the cafe had been replaced with a small Marriott chain bistro. The word "Bistro" gives you the impression of a small cafe with wonderful food and service. This was not that. Think of a small diner where you're served a small selection of sub par food with plastic cups. Though you could get glass containers if you sat at the bar. Needless to say, I was disappointed that I pre-purchased breakfast with our room. The best part of my stay was the 3 am call from the front desk, which woke the baby up (!), to inquire if I had ordered pizza. At 3:00AM! Wonder how many other people they woke up until the front desk found the pizza eaters?!? Needless to say, I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel is really unique and it was ok for an overnight stay. We went to Atlanta for a weekend getaway and to visit Coca-Cola, the aquarium, and a couple of other places. We felt like it was very convenient, kind of in the middle of everything, and about a 15 min. walk from the places we wanted to go. I really liked the modern feel of the rooms, and I didn't feel that the rooms were all that small. I really liked the fact that they chose to use bamboo or some type of laminate flooring in the room. Makes a whole lot of sense for a hotel and wish others would do the same as I have some issues w/ walking bare foot on hotel room floors. Some of the perks were the refrigerator in the room, large bathroom, flat screen TV, and a cafe downstairs with the most delicious cheesecakes, cakes, and pies ever. If you stay here, you have to stop in and try out the cookie dough cheesecake. Delicious. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and liked the unique feel of this hotel housed in a historic building.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SCLucy
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The location, cleanliness and staff of this hotel were fine, it was just missing being more that that. Elevator security is good. Room did not have a bathtub, but shower was fine. There was no coffee to be found in the lobby. The so called restaurant was counter service and was only open for breakfast. it might have been open for supper, but not sure. I could have stayed in a more upscale hotel for the same price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I did have contact with a manager at the hotel after staying there and they have offered me a discount to try it again, and have indicated that my problems have been discussed with the staff. Here's the full list of problems:

The rooms are very small, though nicely furnished. The service on the other hand...

1. Checkin: The clerk said Hi and asked my name. Then he told me the room number and handed me the key AND THAT WAS IT. He didn't show me the hotel, or describe any of the services, or the hours of the restaurant/bar. He didn't ask if we needed any help, etc... i.e. he said 2 words to me total and we were on our way.

2. The room is very tiny, and there is only one luggage rack, so I called down and asked for another and I was told "No." Being as how that confused me, the person on the phone added, "We only allow one rack per room." This was a very short and confusing answer to me. Not, say, "Let me check and see if I can find you one" but "No."

3. On the 2nd day I asked at the desk if there were any mid-priced restaurants nearby they could recommend, and the guy handed me a sheet of paper that listed 7 places on a map. And then he walked away. Immediately. Really! Since there was no indication on the map of what type of restaurants these were, or what price range, I figured I would ask him which were mid-priced since that was my actual question, but he had already walked away. And the listings didn't tell you if Ray's was fish or steak or BBQ. It turns out it was Fish. And $ or $$ or $$$? It turns out it was $$$.

4. On our last day I asked for directions to the rental car place to pick up a car, and the woman handed me a map.... AND THEN WALKED AWAY! Really. Since the hotel is bounded on 3 sides by streets, and I don't know Atlanta at all, it was hard to orient myself with the map, but when I turned to ask her where the front door was on the map - SHE HAD ALREADY WALKED AWAY!

5. On leaving, we pulled our car up and asked the valet if we could leave our car there long enough to go up and get our bags, and he said OK, and I said we have a lot so it could be 2 trips, and he said that was fine. He didn't offer to get us a luggage cart, or even point to one, or call for someone to help us. I had just told him we had a lot of bags and he said, "OK." Nice. When we got them all down and were loading the car he didn't help.

6. I counted: of the 12 times we came in or out of the hotel only 2 times were we greeted at all.

7. On the other hand, the people in the restaurant were great - very helpful and friendly. They must have a separate manager.

All my separate complaints were each small and insignificant of themselves, but together they indicate a serious problem. It actually appeared to us that the staff were trained to disengage rather than to help - give a quick answer and walk away so you are not trapped trying to help someone - like a call center person following a script!

Room Tip: Don't bring a lot of stuff with you because the rooms are tiny and they only allow 1 luggage rac...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I can only judge this place in the context of our very short stay. It was perfect for what my family and I needed. It was affordable (about $125 with AAA discount) for such a convenient downtown location and within walking distance to the Omni/CNN Center where we had to go for my wife's commencement.

The room was nicely appointed with modern features. A little bit different layout than your standard hotel room, but plenty of room for the 4 of us. The bathroom was very spacious and the shower was very large. I wish my shower at home was as big or even close.

The staff was always friendly and ready to help. If the people running the hotel are nice, it goes a long way with me and can even offset some minor flaws.

My only complaint is not the fault of the hotel itself, just its location in relation to getting in and out of the city. Using our car's nav system, it always brought us into the hotel from the opposite side of the street. Leaving the hotel it seemed you had to make a loop to get back to the highway. Just be mindful of that.

Otherwise it was a perfect, though quick, stay.

One more thing...while we did not go there, it is only a 10 min walk from Centennial Park, the Coca-Cola exhibit and the Aquarium...and the CNN Center/Philips Arena (which we did go to).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Absolutely loved our stay at this hotel. Newly renovated and fell in love with our bathroom. Enjoyed the quality of the room and the located to the local tourist attractions. Would preferred to had had a few more amenities as breakfast or transportation, but most of anything that you would need is in walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Conveniently located, a little more upscale in decoration than some of the other Courtyards, small but not claustrophobic rooms. Pretty much what you have come to expect. Stayed one night, came in late and left early so didn't use any of the facilities or explore the neighborhood. No transportation provided, either to the airport or around town so you need to walk, get a cab or take the train to get anywhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business