“superb stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
europe
“superb stay”
Reviewed February 23, 2011

After a long intercontinental trip, with stopovers and delays, the convenient and warm welcom at the excellent Mariott Gateway hotel is all (no, more) than you could wish. The free air tram, which runs every half minute or so, takes you in less than three minutes from the North terminal to the hotel. The lobby is stylish and modern, with friendly staff helping you with all you need. The room we got was spacious, clean, and (more importantly), very quiet. You are not aware that this hotel is so close to the busiest airport in the U.S. until you open the curtains and see them take off in front of you. We tried the restaurant for dinner (high quality standard American dishes) and for breakfast (supreme choice of everything for a reasonable price. We alo tried out the swimming pool (a big and very clean pool which we did not have to share with others). Yes, the hotel is a bit expensive, even considering the relatively high prices of other airport hotels, but the experience is well worth it. I would recommend it to anyone who must take a stopover in Atlanta.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank all2u

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Our stay was great. Clean, beautiful, and the most upscale hotel in the area. Conveniently located just a few minutes from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport. The rooms seem to be sound proof as we did NOT hear any planes the whole 4 days we were there. Amazing! Customer Service could be a little more accommodating when issues arrive but overall the staff was good. Restaurant food little pricey. Big gripe with a hotel of this magnitude is that there are NO microwaves in any of the rooms! Regular room rates are too high but we were with a group and received a discounted rate with free parking. I would stay here again and the Springhill Suites across the street is new and nice too.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta,GA
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We had to spend a night in Atlanta due to a flight cancellation. the hotel was great, but I think the prices are high as business travellers pay anything to get a room.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We checked in late in the evening after a 3 hour drive tired, and yearning to crawl into a comfy bed. Our 26hr. flight left the next morning around 6:00am and we knew we both needed a good night sleep. Well, after standing around the reception desk waiting patiently for the young lady to finish going over her books that were sprawled out everywhere, she finally looked up at me and said, "Do you need something or are you just going to stand there all night?" A little taken back, I simply informed her that I would like to check in. She asked by name, looked up the reservation (made 3.5 weeks earlier) and handed me the key. I was alone, as my husband was parking the car, with 6 bags. I stood there a little longer assuming she would ask if I needed help with my bags, but that never happened. I then left my luggage, went to the front door and asked the valet if he could find a luggage trolly or bellhop to help with our luggage. He said that no one was working that could do that and he would try to find me a trolly. I did appreciate his effort. Anyways, when I finally made it up to the room, I was surprised to find double doors and foolishly thought, "wow, they upgraded us." I walked through the doors to find that the bedroom of the suite was locked from my side. Okay, weird, then I saw a couch bed made out. So I called the front desk to ask them to please unlock the bedroom door. At this point I went into the details of our trip explaining that we had a long flight and had to leave early in the morning and just wanted a good night sleep. She did politely listen, but then told me that the bedroom of the suite was occupied and that the couch bed would be just fine for us to sleep on. Oh, and that she would send up an extra blanket. In shock, I told her that I would not share a suite with a stranger and absolutely would not sleep on a couch bed. She then became very snappy telling me that she was sorry, but the hotel was full. I then proceeded to ask for a refund and told her we would be checking out. Funny how then she asked if she could put me on hold, and of all things was polite. A few seconds later she came back on the line and said she would send a new key up. Great.. Finally after 2 hours of being in the hotel, a key arrived to a new room with an actual BED...Wow, I never thought I would be pleased with a hotel simply for providing me a bed. I wish I could say the problems ended there, but that was only the beginning. At check out the tried to charge us double, and then when we came back from our trip the also charged double for parking..DO NOT STAY HERE!!! I REPEAT, DO NOT STAY HERE!! Worst experience with the worst service ever.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank brattke
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Brand new hotel with all the latest amenities, HDTV, new bedding, etc.
The restaurant/bar attached to the hotel served really good food at a reasonable price. The location of the hotel removed any stress from getting to the airport using the free train that runs to the car rental center.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Let me start this review by saying that I do like Marriott hotels and was pleased to be staying here. The location and ease of access to the airport via the free tram service is excellent. The hotel looks lovely inside and seems like a decent hotel to spend some time in. We were only stopping for about seven hours before catching an early morning flight.

The rooms are decent enough, not a huge amount of space if you have two beds, but managable. The bathroom could be bigger (our was not as clean as I would have liked), but okay for a night (expected more from a Marriott).

Unfortunately I had probably one of the worst nights sleep ever, even with the legendary Marriott mattress (of which I am a fan). Aeroplane noise was bad, yes I know it is an airport hotel, but given it is so new you'd have thought the sound proofing would be better. Once the planes stopped the freight trains started, then there were banging doors, people in the corridoor and the noisiest air conditioning unit I have ever come across. Finally, to top it all off there was a very odd stratching noise coming from somewhere in the ceiling. I can't tell you what it was because it so weird, but it was irritating/scary and if I had been in the room alone (the children were asleep) I would have gone to reception and demanded a different room.

So, if you have ear plugs (and an eye mask to block the overly bright alarm clock) then go ahead and stay here, but I'm afraid I will not be staying at this Marriott again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MrHandBaggageOnly
tennessee
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Stayed here for a flight the next morning. The hotel must be relatively new as it is very modern, clean, and comfortable. The bonus is that a monorail runs every 3 minutes from the hotel to the airport so it is perfect to get to the airport from the hotel. Beds were very comfortable. Room very nice. Bathroom very nice and clean- granite counter tops. The hotel has 2 computers in the lobby to do self check-in for your flight and print your boarding passes. Couldn't be any easier.

• Stayed January 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Atlanta Airport Marriott
Hilton Atlanta Airport
#89 of 174 in Atlanta
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,652 reviews
Drury Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport

Been to Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway? Share your experiences!