“Awesome airport hotel”

Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway
Ranked #12 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My family (including myself, my wife, and my two daughters, ages 6 years and 6 months) did the Stay and Fly package which allows you to stay at the hotel the night prior to departure, park your car in the covered garage, check out the next day and leave the vehicle in the garage during your trip. We stayed on a Friday night, flew to Florida on Saturday morning, and left the car there until we returned the following Saturday evening. It was a great deal for $129!

The hotel is really nice, updated, and comfortable. Very high tech. Flat screen LCD TVs in the lobby, restaurant, and in the rooms. No problems with airport noise with sound protective windows. The beds are amazingly comfortable!! I seriously want to know where I can get a mattress like that for my bed at home. We had breakfast at the restaurant before we departed on Saturday morning. They offer a very good, well prepared buffet for $17/person (including drinks).

The hotel is located adjacent to the Convention Center in Atlanta. There is a tram terminal within 100 yards of the lobby entrance. So, you can walk out the front door, walk to the tram terminal, go up to the top floor, catch a tram, and be at the airport within 5 minutes. We had a ton of luggage, so that would have been a bit cumbersome with two young kids. So......what we did is I dropped my wife and younger daughter off at the baggage claim/pickup area with the luggage to wait on my older daughter and me to bring the car back to the hotel garage, park it, and hop on the tram back to the airport. It worked out great!. We did the same thing in reverse coming back to Atlanta. This also avoided having the bell staff use the hotel van make a "special trip" to drop us off with high expectations of a generous tip (I am a cheapskate).

I highly recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed May 30, 2011

Obviously the ATL SkyTrain access makes this one of the best ATL hotels...the other being directly across the street at the Spring Hill Suites.

I've stayed at this hotel three times now and each has been fantastic. It's a relatively new location with wonderful access to the rental car return facility and the airport terminal in the morning.

It's a new Marriott that I've yet to have any issue with, and I generally like to complain on here.

Checkin has generally been worry free with my room requests honored. My guest room has been clean and comfortable. I usually arrive super late, and depart super early. So I haven't had time to enjoy the restaurant, bar or pool.

8  Thank IntegrityTravel
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Checked in late but had a pre-paid reservation with a guaranteed Double or King.
Front desk staff informed me that they were completely sold out and could only put me up in the hospitality suite where they had made up the sleeper sofa. I objected to that type of room but was assured nobody ever minded staying there. That is the first problem: they should not have that room in their inventory. If they pre-sell a Double/King room they need to have that room available. Of course the bed was not made up when I got there but housekeeping quickly fixed that. Unfortunately it was not a high end sofa bed but your good old springy, painful thin mattress. They gave me a $50 credit to use for room service but if you're a business traveller whose day started with a 6AM flight and it is now 11PM that does not compensate.
I am appalled and will try to avoid Marriott in the future. This is simply unacceptable, I would have been better off at the Red Roof Inn.

12  Thank Tiredtraveller005
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I'd been away for 4 nights and really missed my little girl and husband. Could not wait to get home. An accident on the hwy made me very late and I missed my flight. The hotel is convenient to the airport, very nice, I could tell it was new. Room is comfortable, clean, modern. The staff from the front dest to the bar were excellent. Food and drink were really good, especially for an airport hotel, excellent. Thanks for making a bad situation so much better! I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: AAA rates are better than published/quoted
Reviewed April 20, 2011

This is a great hotel for a layover at the Atlanta airport - free tram from airport to hotel that runs every 5-10 minutes gets you from baggage claim to hotel checkin in a few minutes. New hotel (opened in Aug 2010) with great facilities - nice indoor pool, large exercise room with modern equipment, nice restaurant and a lobby bar. The part of staying here was the concierge lounge - great breakfast and evening desserts! Lounge attendant was there for all your needs - super friendly too. So what are the drawbacks - I have to admit the hotel room seems small. It was an OK size for one person - but had my wife been there, it could have been tight. Also the bathrooms seems undersized. All in all a good overnight layover place.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Just finished a three night stay at the Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway to attend a meeting. I normally stay at Hilton properties, but I was blown away by this Marriott. First off, it's incredibly convenient to Atlanta Airport. There's an electric rail that runs from the airport to this hotel and the car rental location - the hotel is the first stop. It literally only took me five minutes once I had my bags from baggage claim to be in the lobby of this hotel. The hotel itself appeared to be new. The rooms were great and well decorated. Everything was very clean, and all the staff were smiling, friendly, and helpful. I ate several meals at the restaurant in the hotel, and while the prices were expensive (which is what I expected), the food was outstanding! The hotel is also located near the Interstate so it's easy to get to downtown Atlanta or Turner Field from there. I'd highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for a great place really close to the airport.

2  Thank golferperry
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Hotel is very nicely furnished and convenient to airport, but their service is lacking overall. Business center printer was not working but you didn't find that out until you looked behind a wall to see where your document came out. A small (8.5 x 11") said something like, "Printer out of order. Can print document at front desk." Had to wait at front desk because it was always understaffed.

Tried to eat in restaurant after telling hostess that I was in a hurry and wouldn't be having the breakfast buffet. She said she'd get a waiter right away. 5 minutes after waiting, no one came to my table, so I left. Dinner was much better service.

Room was not made up until 3:00 pm even though I left hotel at 9:30 a.m. and had removed the "DND" sign from my door.

Had access to Lounge on 7th floor on 2nd morning and service there was great as were the choices for breakfast.

Wouldn't choose this hotel again even though I have gold status with Marriott.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank gotravel47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Holiday Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport - North
Atlanta Airport Marriott
Atlanta Airport Marriott
#3 of 26 in College Park
SpringHill Suites Atlanta Airport Gateway
Renaissance Atlanta Airport Gateway Hotel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Atlanta Airport North
Drury Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport

Been to Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway? Share your experiences!