“If the hedonists of the world wanted Mexican food outside of Mexico...eat here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bone Garden Cantina

Bone Garden Cantina
Ranked #161 of 3,787 Restaurants in Atlanta
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Blandtown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Tastes like eating at grandma's but better atmosphere...awesome tequelas and the food is out of this world!!! Real Mexican coca cola!!!

• Visited July 2013

Marietta, Georgia
“Well Worth Finding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Tucked away in the back of a renovated building off Marietta Boulevard, Bone Garden is one of those places someone has to tell you about or you'd never know it was there.

Thank goodness someone did!!!

The Day of the Dead decor is fun and colorful, the service is friendly and fast, and the food is outstanding. There is a nice outdoor patio, too.

You know when the bowl of nachoes is that fresh and lightly crisp that the rest of the meal is going to be special.

We sampled several of the tacos, including the goat, hibiscus flower, lemon chicken and beef. All were delicious. My son in law enjoyed the beef tongue dish. (Their full menu is not on this website. They have many other choices.)

Plus, they serve jamaica (seeet hibiscus tea) and horchata (rice milk) that are to die for, and their saffron hued rice is the color of a sunset-almost too pretty to eat.

A fun place to go, made us feel hip even though we aren't. ;-)

Definitely on our go-again list now.

• Visited June 2013
Lawrenceville, Georgia
“Best Mexican Food in Atlanta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I recently visited Bone Garden Cantina after reviewing the menu on-line.

We ate outside as the weather was perfect for a early afternoon meal. We first ordered the fresh margaritas - the Partida Margarita asnd Grand Platino Margarita, which were smooth and made with top shelf tequila. The waitress was friendly and helpful . She told us that she liked the Grand Platino Margarita the best and the Partida Margarita was her second choice. The waitress was right on the money and we both thought the margaritas were wonderful.

The menu, which is al la carte, (range of $3.25 - $6.50 for most items) offers tapis size portions of different types of tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, tamles, empanadas, sopes (not soup), ans burritos. There are also salads, soups, and sides offered on the menu. We started with the Three Amigos which consisted of cheese dip, guacamole, and salsa fresca served with torilla chips. The salsa had an incredibly fresh taste of tomatoes with mild spices. You knew it was made from scratch. The guacamole was the best we had in the Atlanta area and as good as we had in Mexico. The guacamole was freshly diced and seasoned. Perfect! The cheese dip was creamy with just enough heat.

My wife ordered the betabel salad with roasted beets. She enjoyed the freshness of the arugula and beets. I had the red goat soap. It was definitely spicy but you could taste all of the ingredients of goat, chile de arbol and guajillo pepper broth, onion, garlic, rice, cilantro, and lime. My wife also ordered the ceviche which is made with mahi mahi. It is served in a small cup. The flavor was outstanding. eviche is usually made with tilapia in most Mexican restaurants. Not here. Mahi Mahi gives the ceviche a rich taste that you do not find with tilapia. I had the puerco azteca which is a tamale made with spicy pork, red chiles, onion, and garlic and steamed in a banana leaf. I was surprised when it was served with a banana leaf that covered the tamale. The taste of the tamale itself was mouth watering - soft and flavorful. The spicy pork was indeed spicy and not for everyone. Nonetheless it was quite enjoyable. The choriza enchiladas was filled with ground chorizo and topped with guajillo ranchero sauce. It had a robust flavor of chorizo with chihuahua cheese, queso fresco, and sour cream. Just the right size portion. My wife also loved her citrus shrimp empandas.

Our waitress continued to fill our water glasses throughout the meal. She was courteous and attentive but not too much so. She had a double shift on Saturday because a few other servers went out-of-town. One one hand, she did not look forward to working two shifts, but knew she would make more money in tips etc over the holiday weekend.

My wife and I finished the meal with an order of churros. The waitress brought out four long churros and a cup of hot Mexican chocolate. We had never eaten churros this way. After dunking the churros in the hot chocolate, we are definitely spoiled. The hot chocolate was tasty and not too sweet. Just right. The churros were sugar coated and warm. As you bit down on the churros it melted in your mouth. The best tasting churros ever.

We live in Lawrenceville and wish that Bone Garden Cantina was much closer. We will return on days that we do not have to wade through the Atlanta traffic to get there. Bone Garden Cantina is definitely on our list of favorites in the Atlanta area. We would highly recommend that you go out of your way to savor and taste the assortment of delightful Mexican food at this restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Warner Robins,GA
“Awesome One of a Kind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Had seen this place on a tv show about top Southwest/Mexican food. When my wife and I heard Atlanta, we were a bit surprised. This past Monday we were in Atlanta and decided to have lunch there before going over to Ikea. It was great. The outside area has a great seating area with the tables and umbrellas. The inside interior is very unique but festive. The tequila selection was massive with some brands I've tried, but a lot of them I had not seen before. The Tamales were awesome. I would like to go back and see how it is in the evenings or on the weekend and sample a few of the tequlias I've not tried before.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very Good Mexican Food in a great visual setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My first time at Bone Garden was on Cinco de Mayo. We went with some friends. The menu is great. You can select from numerous items & make your own variety plate. Each item was about $3.50. I had the shrimp enchilates. It was excellent. I also has a shrimp empanada, which was good if you like lime flavor. It was just good. I also had a steak taco. It was very good but next time I will get the brisket taco. It was softer. The steak was chewy. The chips are homemade & were great but a little too salty for me. The decor inside is great. The art work is themed for the day of the dead. It was quite noisy & hard to talk but our friends said it is not usually that loud. Overall it was great. The flan & chocolate cake combined dessert was superb. I can't wait to go back again. Try the Sangria, it was excellent.

Visited May 2013