“Amazing!”

Ranked #8 of 293 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Step back in time in Atlanta's most tangible link to the past, Oakland Cemetery. This historical park is the final resting place for many Civil War soldiers, golfing legend Bobby Jones, and "Gone With the Wind" author Margaret Mitchell.
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Oakland Cemetary is a beautiful old cemetery with alot of history and interest. It's well kept and fascinating wandering the stone paths with old mausoleums, trees and little pieces of interest here an there. The lady in the gift shop had a lot of interesting information as well and was happy to share. They offer tours and I beleive also do ghost tours for Halloween.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,004)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I am a fan of historic cemeteries. This one has a lot of great symbolism and iconography for those who are interested. The walkways and greenspace make it very convenient for taking a walk and enjoying a picnic. There are also some delicious food venues right across the street if you would prefer. My husband is a huge golfer, so stopping by to see Bobby Jones' grave was a fun experience. Be sure to take a golf ball to write a good luck wish or message on as it seems to be tradition to leave one by his marker.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I enjoyed ourselves here, but we didn't realize the general tour is an hour and a half. We had to duck out early to catch my plane. I definitely want to go back and do another tour--or several other tours, since they have lots to choose from! Absolutely worth a trip.

1  Thank QuickWhitTravel
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I truly enjoy visiting cemeteries of any sort, and when I had the opportunity to visit Oakland I went out of my way to get there. And getting there from Peachtree Center with no car is a story in and of itself. But it was SO worth the effort to visit this magnificent place. I truly believe that this is the most beautiful cemetery I have been to thus far. I enjoyed it so very much, and was happy to stop in and speak with Bob Smith, the man working in the visitor's center/gift shop on the hot day I visited on August 27th. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys history through those who have gone before, and just to simply look at the beautiful monuments against the backdrop of the Atlanta skyline is just impossible to describe. The landscaping, trees, flowers, and all of the colorful and fragrant plants add so much to this already beautiful and peaceful place. This is definitely on the top of my list of favorite historical places.

1  Thank seehorse72
Reviewed September 1, 2013

There is so much to look at here. It is so cool.. There is so much to look at & it is a huge place so it might take a little to look around but its well worth it!!

Been to Oakland Cemetery? Share your experiences!