“For folks with time who love history”
Review of Oakland Cemetery

Ranked #9 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Step back in time in Atlanta's most tangible link to the past, Oakland Cemetery. This historical park is the final resting place for many Civil War soldiers, golfing legend Bobby Jones, and "Gone With the Wind" author Margaret Mitchell.
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Everybody who was ever ANYBODY in Old Atlanta is buried in Oakland Cemetery. Take the guided tour, learn of the past, reflect on things that beg to be considered, and afterwards, walk across Memorial Drive to "Six Feet Under" bar & grill. OH, YES !!!

2  Thank OldGeorgiaBoy

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Creepy, but very fun. I've never done a Halloween tour, but I've heard it's awesome. I prefer to just wander around myself.

2  Thank legallyheidi
Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you are visiting Atlanta (or living in Atlanta), this is one of the most unique and historic attractions. It's not too touristy, and it's chock full of Atlanta (and the Civil War) history. I recommend paying a little more and taking the official tour; although you can tour this for free on your own. The tour guide is knowledgable. You can even bring your own meal and have a picnic here. (Although eating on the Potter's field creeps me out a little since I know the history of it.) Even though I do not enjoy cemeteries, this is a peaceful place with grand headstones and beautiful greenery. If you are a fan of photography, this is a great place to take amazing shots with the Atlanta skyline in the background. (By the way, you can bring your dog on the tour and in this cemetery for free.) (Also, a car was broken into in the parking lot where we were there. Make sure and hide any valuables in your car.)

2  Thank Phu L
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Unless it sounds strange, this historical cemetery worth a visit.
I suggest people to go to visitor center and buy a map (it is cheap and you help to keep the place) and talk to the nice and friendly people there.
There is a lot to see, but I believe that in no more than two hours you could visit the most important places.

3  Thank Claudio-1967
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had company over Thanksgiving and this cemetery was on his list of things to do in Atlanta, GA. I must tell not only was he impressed w/ this garden cemetery but so was I!! I plan on going back again to see more of the cemetery because one visit is not enough!!!

2  Thank Sandy G