“History of Atlanta”

Ranked #9 of 290 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Step back in time in Atlanta's most tangible link to the past, Oakland Cemetery. This historical park is the final resting place for many Civil War soldiers, golfing legend Bobby Jones, and "Gone With the Wind" author Margaret Mitchell.
Atlanta, Georgia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“History of Atlanta”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Take a tour and learn about Atlanta! It is a beautiful place where the soul of the city rests!

Columbia, South Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Breathtaking and otherworldly”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We attended the "Tunes From the Tombs" music festival. It was on the whole a delightful experience because I love cemeteries, especially old ones. The music was not my reason for being there but I enjoyed hearing folksy Americana type tunes as I strolled, taking pictures and enjoying the day. After a late lunch across the street at Six Feet Under, we came back to walk another part of the cemetery and take more pictures. Late in the day (the event was from 1 to 8 p.m.) the music got very loud and more rock-oriented, which I did not like. I thought it was disrespectful and since I was hot and tired by then, we left. I look forward to returning to Oakland on a cooler day and strolling the lanes again. Beautiful place.

Berlin, Germany
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Really beautiful”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We went to the cementry to see where Margaret Mitchell (Gone with the Wind) is burried and where really surprised about the cementry in general. It is beautiful and well arranged. I can only recommend to go there.

Atlanta, Georgia
119 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“A fun way to spend an afternoon - REALLY!”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

100 years ago Oakland Cemetary was THE place to go on a Sunday afternoon. Take a stroll. Take a picnic. Or so "they" say. It is still a great place to go and explore the history of Atlanta's yesteryear. I thought I might find it macabre, but i found it fastenating.

Visited September 2011
Chicago
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“tourist treasure”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We went to the cemetery with the specific purpose to see the graves of Margaret Mitchell and Bobby Jones.
When we went into the wonderful gift shop/entry room and asked if there was a map available, a new volunteer stepped forward and said, "I'll point them out to you." We went outside and began a two hour private tour with the gentleman, Bob King. He told us many, many interesting stories and facts and the time flew.
It was a wonderful afternoon!

1 Thank Melaney R