“Simply Amazing”

Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel
Ranked #20 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 15, 2012

This hotel specializes in providing high quality service and a trendy style. Prior to arrival, I contacted the general manager and to my surprise received a very nice response from his assistant extending her information as my point of contact should I have any concerns during my stay. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the nicest valet team I have ever seen in my years of travel. Special kudos should be extended to Mohammed who greeted us on a daily basis with a warm, friendly smile, quick service and kind small talk...one of a kind. Upon entering the property, you would think you're in a midtown manhattan hotel as the lobby is quite trendy and chic, but the friendly service reminds you that you're still in the south. Entering our room, I was quite satisfied with the size and felt very special that the general manager had a nice little note in our room welcoming my mother and I to his property for our Mother's Day weekend and included his business card to let me know that he could be contacted for any reason...needless to say I was so happy, I never had a need to use it. The property is well suited for a business traveler because it's in the business district which offers limited dining or shopping options, especially on a weekend, when even the local Dunkin' Donuts is closed. The nice thing is there was a Keurig in room, but if your a die hard coffee drinker like me just call the front desk and ask them to send up additional k-cups and codiments. A few challenges to note, the sliding door in the bathroom often pops back open, a very weird door concept that can easily be overlooked. The lighting in the bathroom is quite dim, not for the makeup wearer and the maid could have done a bit better cleaning job as our room wasn't vaccumed nor did she change our sheets (one which had a large hole it) or pick up the garbage that was lodged behind the can, dust the lamp shade or wipe dust from the television, but everything else makes up for the small oversight...she just missed a large tip opportunity. We loved this property and when I travel again on business, I will certainly visit my friends at this Renaissance again, this property has restored my faith in the Marriott Brand!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ladeep0110

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Most of the staff were very helpful, some were clueless and two were just rude. Rooms nice but I agree with another reviewer the door and walls are thin, you can hear everything in the corridor and the other rooms. Plus no tea and coffee in the room- why??? Plus points- terrace bar was great, free wine from 5-6 pm in the lobby. Gym is like a sweatbox before you even start your workout, not good.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Good afternoon and thanks for your comments. Although I always look forward to the "5" rating reviews, the ones the identify opportunities for us to improve as critcally helpful. We'll look into the noise issues from the room you were in during your stay and I'll personally check on the Fitness room--it's set by computer at 68 degrees, but we'll do an in room reading and verify setting is correct. Usually receive only positive feedback about our staff--surprised to hear that you encountered 2 that were just plain rude. We'll discuss this in our daily stand up meeting with the reception team.

Thanks again.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

I've stayed here for business several times, and it has changed flags from a Kimpton (my favorite chain) to a Renaissance. They have kept some elements of the Kimpton brand - funky music in the elevators, complimentary wine hour, glitzy lobby, stylish restaurant - but the rebranding made me realize that the rooms were always too..functional to be truly Kimpton, which mostly has boutique properties with unusual (and impractical) room configurations. Not so the erstwhile Palomar, now Renaissance. Rooms are comfy, and they make sense. Also a pretty good fitness room - not a gym, but better than a converted guest room. Their meeting space is very good and their catering is consistently good as well. All in all, a stylish way to do business in Midtown.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Drays7

I was so glad to read your review as what you described was exactly our goal when we converted to the Renaissance brand last year. I was VERY glad to hear that you have had very positive experiences throughout the hotel. Thanks very much for taking time to post your comments--I'll be sure to share with the team!

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We booked one night at this hotel with Marriott rewards. We were very nicely surprised as soon as we entered. Great lobby and we had an outstanding host at the reception (I hope I'd remember her name). The staff in general was also very friendly, always greeting us. The room (king bed) was spacious and very nicely designed (reminded us of a W). Of little impact, there was no "do not disturb" sign, and the sliding door to the bathroom--while very neat--had a tendency to bounce back slightly opened at first, which would bothered a bit people valuing privacy. The hotel has free coffee/tea in the morning and wine/libations in the evening which makes for a nice surprise. Set in the lobby, it makes us believe we were at a nice reception, especially since that with conference attendees, wedding guests and graduation families, it made for a highly entertaining and diverse crowd. We also had a night cap at the Rooftop 860, which was a great venue to unwind before bed. We had a great time, and we had no troubles resting (we didn't hear a noise, but we were maybe just exhausted). The location is also good in midtown: not the prime location in Midtown, but easily walkable distance to everything (including a Publix). As for parking, it can be challenging if you are trying to self-park, but we used the valet service, and it was worry-free. Overall, we would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DJinNashville

WOW!! What a great review of our hotel. I don't think I could have written about all the features of our hotel better myself. You mentioned that you were nicely surprised upon arrival, that our host at reception and the staff in general was very friendly. Rooftop 866 is the perfect place for a night cap (or any other time) and of course the lobby coffee and wine hour are staples that our discoverers (guests) truly enjoy. Our goal is to delight you at every opportunity--sounds as if we were fairly successful! Nice to hear and I do appreciate that you took time to provide some great feedback!

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Nice Clean beautiful surroundings. Roof top Bar fantastic. Only thing the walls are THIN. i could hear the honeymooners all night. and they were not loud at all. but u can hear everything even the whispers. The off site parking is a bit annoying especially if you are walking back to the hotel in heels. If the walls were not so thin i would have given it a very good rating

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank J P

Thank you for providing your feedback--very much appreciated. We are certainly very proud of our hotel-clean and beautiful and of course the ever popular Rooftop 866 bar--which in the Spring season is simply delightful! Thank you also for the comments regarding the paper thin walls and parking --this is the first time we have heard a comment about being able to hear "whispers" so we'll be sure to take a look at the room you were in--we do offer on site valet parking as well. At any rate, thanks again--enjoy your weekend.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Renaissance Midtown one weeknight in June 2011, as part of a road trip stopover to visit friends on our way from Texas to Pennsylvania. This hotel is an upscale hotel located in the heart of Atlanta, close to all the bar/restaurant action of Midtown and with easy freeway access. Unfortunately we only stayed one night and most of our time was spent with friends, so we were unable to try the restaurants or other amenities.

Parking costs extra ($15/d self park, $30 valet) - their valet service is quick and efficient and got an extra tip from us. Check in was also painless and the service staff were friendly, although we had minimal interaction with anyone besides the front desk. The lobby interior is modern and updated without feeling cold or detached, and the same carries over to the rooms. We stayed in a single king standard room which was very comfortable with modern decor and plenty of dark wood tones. The bed was comfortable, bathrooms clean, and furniture all in a modern style with little wear and tear.

In conclusion, this hotel is a very modern upscale hotel in a great area of town. We enjoyed our stay very much, although I wish we could have lingered an extra day or two to take advantage of all the location had to offer.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Good afternoon and thanks for your comments. I noticed you are from Pittsburgh--I was born and raised in the Brookline, Dormont, Whitehall (South Hills) area! I appreciate that you took the time to make your comments and I of course read each one and then follow up with our team--in this case very pleasant. We'll look forward to your return trip!

Enjoy your weekend.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We very much enjoyed our recent night at the Renaissance Midtown. We received a couple of upgrades (breakfast and mini-bar credit). The finishes in the public areas and in our room were luxe. Our room was very quiet and we had a view. Wine was being served in the lobby when we checked in and the staff was attentive, calling our room a few minutes after we'd arrived to see if everything was to our liking. Nice customer service touches. We did not visit the fitness center, but another guest in the elevator said it was excellent. The hotel itself was located within easy walking distance of a number of bars and restaurants. Nice midtown neighborhood. The only thing I didn't like (and this seems to be standard in higher-end hotels these days) was a bathroom mirror with insufficient lighting to do makeup. We will definitely return to this hotel when in Atlanta.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business