“Rooftop happiness”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Southeast U.S.
“Rooftop happiness”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Fire pits, private cabana seating, beautiful gardens, and everyone was very friendly. I came with 2 friends (it was the first time for all of us) and everyone was very kind and accommodating. Our waitress Samantha was awesome. She had so much personality I wish she could've sat with us instead of serving our food lol. We all enjoyed her, she was quite a treat. I had BBQ Chicken sliders. They weren't the best but if you're starving they're delicious. I love flavored lemonade and the only kind they had was raspberry. Thank goodness I tried it though because it was delicious! My friends had the chips and dip, they both said that it was great! I like this place because it's a beautiful, relaxed scene that you can go to with friends and just relax. I do literally mean relax, they have chase lounges and cabanas with couches!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank EasyTraveler35

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I tend to enjoy my stays at Renaissance properties and this was perhaps the best. The hotel is clean and the perks if you are a rewards member are nice. Specifically, the free breakfast and $10 per night credit for the minibar. The restaurant (breakfast, although they serve all meals) was great and as a rewards member I was able to order a la carte at no cost since there is no concierge lounge. The location was convenient for my purpose, but is also close to some good restaurants and a 15-20 minute walk to Piedmont Park (nice during the day, but I would stay away after the sun goes down). I had a unique billing issue that took longer than necessary to fix, but I won't hold that against them.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
MgrRenMidtownATL, Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you for your review. I agree, we do offer great alternatives for Marriott Rewards guests in the absence of a Concierge Lounge. We receive great feedback regarding these amenities. I will be sure to share your comment regarding billing. Your comments only help us get better.
Hope to see you again in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Another great stay at the Renaissance Midtown Hotel. What made this trip so special? Fabulous room on the 14th floor - nicely appointed with all the latest feature. Room seemed practically brand new. Very spacious, large bathroom with roomy shower, excellent view of the midtown area. As before, the staff was friendly, accomodating, accomodating, and professional.

Headed back to the area in a couple of weeks and looking forward to another stay.

• Stayed March 2012
charlotte, nc
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Spent a March weekend at the Renaissance Midtown. The location is great - close to Piedmont Park, the Fox, great restaurants etc. The hotel is nicely designed and modern. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well maintained. All of the amenities that you can expect except no in-room coffee maker. The room umbrella was a nice touch although not needed on our weekend. The staff is friendly and helpful. My only criticism would be similar to previous posters : very expensive valet parking without any self park options and lack of free internet. Other than these two issues, it was a great stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MgrRenMidtownATL, Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Thank you for the kind words regarding our hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with the team as we always like to share reviews like this. One note, there are self parking options behind the hotel for $12 (without in & out privileges). I will reiterate to the valet team to offer this option to guests when arriving to the hotel. Hope to see you again in the future.
Clifton, VA
Reviewed March 14, 2012

There was a bit of confusion when I checked in. As a business traveler I always request a king size bed. However, somehow here the word request and confirmed have two different meanings. While they confirmed my reservation they said that it had been put through as a standard size bed but the king room would be $20 more. Ok, I'd rather spend more to be comfortable so I went for it. However, this really shouldn't have happened. To their credit they did throw in free internet in the upgrade so it was a wash.
The location is excellent as there are many restaurants within walking distance. The rooms are comfortable and certainly my King bed turned out to be the right choice.
My main complaint is their parking situation. They offer valet parking only for $20 per night. So that means if you need your car a couple of times then you wind up tipping the valet each time. I'm not a cheap person but I am very capable of parking my car myself and like the freedom of getting it whenever I like instead of calling down for it or standing and waiting while the valet fetches my car. I also have a personal pet peeve of hotels that charge travelers more than a nominal fee for parking or internet service. These items should be included in the room charge instead of tack-ons at check in time.
Still, the quality and comfort of this hotel is good and if you are on business travel you will have a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Make sure to book and confirm a KING bed rather than just request it in the reservation.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Good morning and thank you for sharing your experience here at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown. I was disappointed to hear that your arrival experience was less than fantastic, but of course pleased to hear that the staff recovered and that overall you enjoyed your stay. Also, I appreciate your positive comments regarding the comfort, quality and location of the hotel. As you can imagine, it is difficult to offer self parking in urban "in-town" locations. That is simply not an option for us--our garage is quite small and with one way streets it would be extremely difficult for our guests to utilize. While I can understand your perspective regarding pricing for parking, we do competitive surveys often and actually find that we are priced lower than the "downtown" Atlanta hotels. I certainly understand that it would be easier to access your car without valet services but we simply don't have the capacity to offer that option. I look forward to your return visit to Atlanta and once again thank for sharing your thoughts.
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed March 4, 2012

This is a very nice hotel, very clean & nice, staff always in good mood and willing to help, location is good. I think in 2012 Internet sevices should be included in your daily rate but here is not the case, I came here because my Global EMBA university arranged for some business visits in Atlanta and I have internet service included as a package for 70 students, but this is not the rule. The issue is about parking, there is no free parking for this hotel, there is a valet who will charge you $30 per day plus the tip for the driver so if you are planning to stay here for more than 5 o 6 days your parking fare can go even higher than a night of stay,for a hotel this big they should figure out how to solve this parking issue, but in the other side if you are not planning to rent a car you can come and go using MARTA (Atlanta subway system) which has a station two blocks away from the hotel, and you can take MARTA even from the Atlanta Airport.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Thanks so much for taking time to post your favorable comments about the hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate and monitor all feedback sharing the positive with our team and working diligently to resolve any issues that arise. With regard to your parking concerns, we charge what the Midtown Atlanta market charges, in fact the Downtown market is $32 per night. We realize that this charge can be percieved as excessive and in any densely populated urban area, I find parking charges to be growing. I do thank you for your comments and I hope your visit to the United States and Atlanta in particular was pleasant. We look forward to your return visit.

Discover something new today...
New York City, USA
Reviewed February 29, 2012

After a weary trip I had a pleasant welcome by the Renaissance staff. The stylish lobby, accented by a beautiful saltwater fish tank, seemed to predict an exceptional stay. Sure enough my room was enormous, well lit, and extremely quiet. I don't usually rave about bathroom fixtures, but they were superb. Mind you, the space was designed for a disabled customer, and I'm not sure if the standard rooms are as generous.

Three issues would soon mar the experience. One, a $15 per day charge for internet access (and relatively slow access at that) is absurd in this day and age. Two, something I've never encountered before, the hot water wasn't all that hot! Three, and most troubling, the room was not cleaned properly. I found a small candy wrapper on the chair, another wrapper close to the bed, and body hair on the bathroom floor. Gross.

When I told the staff about my experience at checkout, they sprang into action. The Internet charge was waved, and I was given a free ride in their shuttle to my morning meeting. They made sure I left a satisfied customer.

For a business trip, I much prefer the airy Renaissance to the dark and cramped W Hotel down the road. (It surprises me to say this, as I think of myself as a W hotel sort of guy.) I'll assume the housekeeping issues were just a fluke and give the Renaissance another go the next time I'm in Atlanta -- keeping in mind to add $15 a night to the room rate!

2 Thank gridskipper
Good afternoon and thank you for your comments. I was thrilled to hear how our staff "sprang to action" to address your concerns. I do apologize that you had some housekeeping issues. I reviewed this with our Housekeeping leadership team (I do weekly room inpspections) to reiterate the importance of a clean, spotless room. I did look into the "hot water" issue as well and found this to be an isolated situtation. I was very pleased to hear that you preferred our hotel to the W --we are very proud of our hotel. I'm sure you have heard the response regarding internet access charges in full service hotels, we do have higher security levels and most times much higher speed than the "free" locations and I think one day we will see hotels move to a free structure--I have asked our HSIA provider to check but we rarely hear comments with regard to speed--almost always it is a cost issue. At any rate, I was thrilled to receive your comments--thanks for taking the time to do so.

Discover something new today....