“All Was Made Right In The End”

Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel
Ranked #19 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, USA
“All Was Made Right In The End”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

After a weary trip I had a pleasant welcome by the Renaissance staff. The stylish lobby, accented by a beautiful saltwater fish tank, seemed to predict an exceptional stay. Sure enough my room was enormous, well lit, and extremely quiet. I don't usually rave about bathroom fixtures, but they were superb. Mind you, the space was designed for a disabled customer, and I'm not sure if the standard rooms are as generous.

Three issues would soon mar the experience. One, a $15 per day charge for internet access (and relatively slow access at that) is absurd in this day and age. Two, something I've never encountered before, the hot water wasn't all that hot! Three, and most troubling, the room was not cleaned properly. I found a small candy wrapper on the chair, another wrapper close to the bed, and body hair on the bathroom floor. Gross.

When I told the staff about my experience at checkout, they sprang into action. The Internet charge was waved, and I was given a free ride in their shuttle to my morning meeting. They made sure I left a satisfied customer.

For a business trip, I much prefer the airy Renaissance to the dark and cramped W Hotel down the road. (It surprises me to say this, as I think of myself as a W hotel sort of guy.) I'll assume the housekeeping issues were just a fluke and give the Renaissance another go the next time I'm in Atlanta -- keeping in mind to add $15 a night to the room rate!

2 Thank gridskipper
mark_castriota, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Good afternoon and thank you for your comments. I was thrilled to hear how our staff "sprang to action" to address your concerns. I do apologize that you had some housekeeping issues. I reviewed this with our Housekeeping leadership team (I do weekly room inpspections) to reiterate the importance of a clean, spotless room. I did look into the "hot water" issue as well and found this to be an isolated situtation. I was very pleased to hear that you preferred our hotel to the W --we are very proud of our hotel. I'm sure you have heard the response regarding internet access charges in full service hotels, we do have higher security levels and most times much higher speed than the "free" locations and I think one day we will see hotels move to a free structure--I have asked our HSIA provider to check but we rarely hear comments with regard to speed--almost always it is a cost issue. At any rate, I was thrilled to receive your comments--thanks for taking the time to do so.

Discover something new today....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed February 25, 2012

The Renaissance Hotel is located just steps from Georgia Tech. I stayed here because I was attending a meeting at the GA Tech Conference Center, which is a short walk from the Renaissance. The hotel staff was extremely friendly, the rooms clean and modern, the lobby a lively gathering place during their evening happy hour. One word of caution --- the gym at the hotel is small. I arrived at 5:30 am and had my choice of machines, but by 6:00 am, it was completely full and several people came and then returned to their rooms because of the lack of treadmill/elliptical/bike/weights availability. If you are an early-morning workout fan, my advice is to arrive well before 6:00 am.

Room Tip: My corner room had a nice view of the city
Augusta
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I can't say enough about my stay at the Renaissance Midtown. The staff was courteous and professional. The bed was a dream. I really enjoyed the iHome system and the dimmers on the lights. It was great to be able to turn the lights down, listen to some jazz and relax after a night out. My only complaint and it is very minor, is the mini bar was locked when I checked-in. I'm sure if I would have called the front-desk they would have been right up to unlock it.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jeremy S
RenMidtownGM, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Good afternoon,

I was delighted to read your review and was so happy to hear that you found the hotel to be fabulous as well as the staff. Our team is very proud, we share all of our Trip Advisor reviews; and we appreciate that you took the time to post your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you the next time you travel to Atlanta.

Discover something new today....
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I enjoyed everything about this hotel (except for my usual qualms with Internet usage charges - that's sooo eighties). The front desk was staffed with pleasant, proficient professionals. The lobby area was spacious and comfortable. My room was fresh and appointed well for business travel - outlets in the right place, comfortable writing desk, etc). Bed was comfortable and temperature control in the room allowed be to create the environment most relaxing for me. Plenty of towels and wash clothes in the bath. Make up mirror was a plus, but wish it was lighted - hard to see in it without light.

Opportunities for improvement - provide bottled water in rooms. Lighted make up mirrors. Get rid of Internet fees. Provide spa services or recommendations. Provide map of midtown area in room with restaurant, shopping, spa guide.

Had breakfast in the adjacent restaurant, service was favorably brisk, food just okay.

I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for you comments and suggestions. I was delighted to hear that your experience was so positive and that you found our staff to be courteous, proficient and professional. Our ambassadors aim to please! I appreciate the suggestions you had as well, --love to hear the feedback.

We'll look forward to delighting you again on your next trip. By the way, we do have a document that we should have given you at check in called "In the Know"--our Navigator Concierge prepares it weekly to highlight intriguing indigenous things in Midtown.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Formerly the Palomar Hotel (a Kimpton Hotel), this property has a very contemporary slant on hotel accommodations. The lobby features an exquisite eye-level aquarium with many seating areas for mini-meetings or a relaxed tete-e-tete with friends. The second floor roof top bar overlooks Peachtree with fire pits, outdoor seating, private cabanas and a water wall fountain. The guest room is separated from the bathroom area with sand-blasted glass and a sliding barn door on the outside of the lavatory. Lots of chrome, over-sized hounds-tooth upholstery and vivid colors make the accommodations artful. We had a business breakfast for our staff in the adjacent restaurant (in a private section) and it was superb. A stone's throw from the Hi Museum of Art makes this hotel a crowd pleaser.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
RenMidtownGM, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
WOW! Great review--thanks, don't know that I could have done better :-)! We do certainly appreciate that you took time to write the review, but most importantly I was glad to hear you had a great visit AND a superb meal in our restaurant BRIZA!

We hope to see you again very soon.
Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This hotel really surprised me on the inside compared to the look of the outside. Our stay was simple and the bed was very comfortable. The room was a little small but if you just sleep here it doesn't matter. It was very nice being able to park on the street and not pay for parking. The hotel also had a car service for a short trip. That was nice as well. Good stay for my first time. The one negative was the dead cordless phone when we tried to call the front desk.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon and Happy Friday. Thank you for the feedback --we appreciate all the reviews we read and take action to address concerns immediately. And of course we share all the good feedback with our team as well. We look forward to seeing you when you return to Atlanta.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Outstanding hotel. From the minute I approached the hotel the service was impeccable. It's the little things, but while checking in, the front desk clerk took a phone call and someone else finished my check-in. For me it wasn't a big deal, but shortly after I got to my room he called back and apologized for the interruption, got my Marriott Rewards number (which he was going to do at the front desk), and gave me 2 free days of internet for my "inconvenience". It wasn't an inconvenience at all - but evidenced by the fact that they take the highest level of service seriously. A simple gesture like that also tells you right up front that you won't fight or complain for good service - they are going out of their way to make it happen.

An extraordinarily well designed hotel - solid and the best finishes. The sheets were CRISP (in a good way) - and I haven't seen that in a long time at even other 4 star hotels. Amazingly comfortable beds, dimmers on most light switches (which is huge and not found in most hotels unless you wind up at a W or a Kimpton property (I assume that's why this hotel has it being a Palomar previously).

This hotel is beautiful but not overly trendy. It has a more lasting style and not "in your face, banging music while you walk through the lobby feel". I love a W, but this hotel feels more timeless.

I'd give it 5 stars all around except for these minor things, and some of which they probably can't change - being a Renaissance branded property:

1. I actually liked the bathrooms a lot (lit just right with dimmers), well arranged, with slide doors. The showerhead is a Speakman and I like the basic, solid nature of that - but the pressure seemed a bit low. I love high pressure with a Speakman showerhead, and this just wasn't there. Not terrible, but not what I expected.

2. The ribbed towels are not that comfortable. Good sized but scratchy and not comfortable. I feel like the regular Marriotts have better towels.

3. Windows don't open; most 4 star properties will not but just noting it - as a few do and it tips the scale for me.

I WOULD go out of my way to stay at this hotel again. Comparing the W Midtown, Lowes Midtown, and this Renaissance, I'd pick either this or the W (although I really like the more understated design of this hotel over the W). The W has better showers, but that's it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for such a thorough review with lots of great feedback. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and of course that you will be returning! I appreciate the feedback and always take time to recognize our ambassadors and correct any issues.

Have a great weekend--see you soon.