“"Contemporary Hip-a-Go-Go Hotel in Midtown Atlanta"” 4 of 5 bubbles

Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel
Ranked #20 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“"Contemporary Hip-a-Go-Go Hotel in Midtown Atlanta"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

Formerly the Palomar Hotel (a Kimpton Hotel), this property has a very contemporary slant on hotel accommodations. The lobby features an exquisite eye-level aquarium with many seating areas for mini-meetings or a relaxed tete-e-tete with friends. The second floor roof top bar overlooks Peachtree with fire pits, outdoor seating, private cabanas and a water wall fountain. The guest room is separated from the bathroom area with sand-blasted glass and a sliding barn door on the outside of the lavatory. Lots of chrome, over-sized hounds-tooth upholstery and vivid colors make the accommodations artful. We had a business breakfast for our staff in the adjacent restaurant (in a private section) and it was superb. A stone's throw from the Hi Museum of Art makes this hotel a crowd pleaser.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RenMidtownGM, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
WOW! Great review--thanks, don't know that I could have done better :-)! We do certainly appreciate that you took time to write the review, but most importantly I was glad to hear you had a great visit AND a superb meal in our restaurant BRIZA!

We hope to see you again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Easley, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

This hotel really surprised me on the inside compared to the look of the outside. Our stay was simple and the bed was very comfortable. The room was a little small but if you just sleep here it doesn't matter. It was very nice being able to park on the street and not pay for parking. The hotel also had a car service for a short trip. That was nice as well. Good stay for my first time. The one negative was the dead cordless phone when we tried to call the front desk.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Good afternoon and Happy Friday. Thank you for the feedback --we appreciate all the reviews we read and take action to address concerns immediately. And of course we share all the good feedback with our team as well. We look forward to seeing you when you return to Atlanta.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

Outstanding hotel. From the minute I approached the hotel the service was impeccable. It's the little things, but while checking in, the front desk clerk took a phone call and someone else finished my check-in. For me it wasn't a big deal, but shortly after I got to my room he called back and apologized for the interruption, got my Marriott Rewards number (which he was going to do at the front desk), and gave me 2 free days of internet for my "inconvenience". It wasn't an inconvenience at all - but evidenced by the fact that they take the highest level of service seriously. A simple gesture like that also tells you right up front that you won't fight or complain for good service - they are going out of their way to make it happen.

An extraordinarily well designed hotel - solid and the best finishes. The sheets were CRISP (in a good way) - and I haven't seen that in a long time at even other 4 star hotels. Amazingly comfortable beds, dimmers on most light switches (which is huge and not found in most hotels unless you wind up at a W or a Kimpton property (I assume that's why this hotel has it being a Palomar previously).

This hotel is beautiful but not overly trendy. It has a more lasting style and not "in your face, banging music while you walk through the lobby feel". I love a W, but this hotel feels more timeless.

I'd give it 5 stars all around except for these minor things, and some of which they probably can't change - being a Renaissance branded property:

1. I actually liked the bathrooms a lot (lit just right with dimmers), well arranged, with slide doors. The showerhead is a Speakman and I like the basic, solid nature of that - but the pressure seemed a bit low. I love high pressure with a Speakman showerhead, and this just wasn't there. Not terrible, but not what I expected.

2. The ribbed towels are not that comfortable. Good sized but scratchy and not comfortable. I feel like the regular Marriotts have better towels.

3. Windows don't open; most 4 star properties will not but just noting it - as a few do and it tips the scale for me.

I WOULD go out of my way to stay at this hotel again. Comparing the W Midtown, Lowes Midtown, and this Renaissance, I'd pick either this or the W (although I really like the more understated design of this hotel over the W). The W has better showers, but that's it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for such a thorough review with lots of great feedback. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and of course that you will be returning! I appreciate the feedback and always take time to recognize our ambassadors and correct any issues.

Have a great weekend--see you soon.
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

I just returned from a stay at this hotel and have only compliments. Clean, modern, up-to-date etc. Very happy with the rooms, staff, cleanliness and restaurant. The neighborhood was very nice not a huge selection of restaurants but enough. I normally stay at the Marriott Marquis but will choose the Renaissance on my next visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Goose54
MgrRenMidtownATL, Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. It is great to hear about your positive experience at the hotel. We will be sure to share with the staff...it is exciting to share great comments and the staff enjoys hearing about them.
Look forward to your return visit.
Best,
Mike
Marbella, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

Spacious room, comfortable bed and helpful staff. I did not try the breakfast as I was attending a company event, but the food we ate there was delicious. I had a problem with my shower which was fixed after a couple of calls to the front desk. That would be my only 'but'.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your positive comments regarding the delicious food and overall experience. I will be sure to share the shower comments with the team and need to resolve immediately. Look forward to seeing you again...let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Best regards,
Mike
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I visited this beautiful new hotel during the Martin Luther King Holiday weekend. The customer service at this hotel should set the standard for the industry. I regret not asking to meet the manager who obviously runs a tight ship. Everyone was on point from the valet to the registration desk staff. The lobby is stylishly decorated, including a beautiful fireplace and a salt water aquarium. The elevators were very rapid, and always seemed to be there right after pushing the button. My room was breath taking! Marriott beds are to die for! The rooms are very functional, and the bathroom was simply amazing. There was a dimmer light switch which came in handy as sometimes bathroom lighting can be quite blinding in the middle of the night. There are several eateries and a Publix market within walking distance of the hotel. I can say that the Renaissance Midtown will be my new home away from home when visiting Atlanta.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, the views are awesome.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jaison_lives
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

This is a stylish hotel is well arranged with a good value restaurant. But the staff promised twice to deliver a FedEx box for shipping. It never arrived and I walked a block to get one myself. The hotel staff were almost indifferent about the lapse. Other service was typical Marriott.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RenMidtownGM, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thanks for your comments about the "slick decor" and the value that you received in the restaurant and thanks for taking the time to share your comments. It is clearly unacceptable that the staff failed to fulfill a simple request and that they were indifferent in attitude. We pride ourselves on delivering expectional service and we failed to do that in your case. Rest assured I personally follow up with the staff and share comments received both positive and those that detail opportunity. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Atlanta.