“Impressed”

Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel
Ranked #20 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We spent the first night of four in the Atlanta area at this Renaissance (luckily we got the room for the rate (included free parking) when it was still a "Palomar", otherwise we probably wouldn't have stayed there. Glad we did, though, as it turned out to be not only first on our itenarary but first on our favorite stay list at the end of our trip. Tasteful, artsy, friendly personnel, and ah!, the beds, so comfortable. Nice Happy Hour treats. The only negative to note: breakfast which was pricey and slow coming.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fahrvergnuegte
RenMidtownGM, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

So nice to hear we got you off to a great start here at the Renaissance Atlanta Midtown. Thanks for posting your comments, I'll be sure to look into the speed at breakfast!

Enjoy your week!

Reviewed June 1, 2011

Contemporary elegance in midtown! This is the best Renaissance property I've ever seen - thanks to previous owners Kimpton Hotels. I was in town for the Jazz Festival and to see family and friends. Easy walk to Piedmont Park for the festival. Short walk to many eateries and bars in midtown. My friend and I felt safe walking in the neighborhood. Lots of people were walking around over the weekend. No problems at all.

Rooms are good size and very well decorated. Comfy beds! The duvet did get a little too warm for my taste though. Beautiful modern bathroom. This is a beautiful boutique hotel, which I tend to like. No pool but lovely roof-top lounge. Beautiful lobby!

My only complaint was the under-staffed and slow valet parking service!
Otherwise, no problems for me. I will return!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ATM72

Good morning and thanks for your comments about the hotel. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Will certainly look into the comment about valet parking staffing, and will look forward to seeing you when you return.

Have a great week.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

My husband and I currently live in Atlanta and decided to stay downtown one night. We have stayed at many downtown and midtown hotels and decides to give the Renaissance Midtown. Staff was wonderful, rooms were super clean! We even received a unexpected visit from the manager within a few hours after check in. She wanted to make sure our room was clean and we were enjoying our stay! Wow! Very unexpected coming from a midtown hotel.

Only negative is the $30 valet(standard in Midtown)and a true office center, not a computer and printer in the corner of the
lobby.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Braden94

Thanks for your great comments about our hotel! Wish we would see more local Atlantans take advantage of our great hotel for a little getaway. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Reviewed May 25, 2011

This hotel was previously a Kempton hotel and only become part of the Marriott chain about 30 days before my business trip to Atlanta. I think this hotel is still evolving. I walked back and forth to downtown but it is a bit of a hike, probably about a mile. The area itself borders on the Georgia Tech campus and the blossoming mid town area and, for me, is a more interesting area than downtown.

The hotel is nice and the fitness center was well equipped with almost new machines. The bad (and good) is that this hotel does not have a conciege lounge. I am a platinum member and enjoy the after dinner deserts and access to hot beverages like tea and coffee (the rooms unexplicably don't have coffee/tea makers). I also like having access to the computer and printer normally in these lounges. I often would like to read and review a report or memo sent by e-mail and I would like to be able to print it.

The good about not having the concierge lounge is that gold and platinum members get a free breakfast in the adjacent restaurant. This was much better than any of the breakfasts that I got in any of the concierge lounges.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank accidental_squirrel
Reviewed May 24, 2011

The hotel was a Kimpton property until recently. Most things have been switched over to Marriott or Renaissance branding, but some signs of Kimpton remain. This is a "boutique" hotel, but honestly, it did not feel special. Just super trendy - perhaps too much so. You have to pay for everything - $30 to park each day, $15 for internet each day, etc. Aveda products in bathroom were nice. Room was nice - but mostly felt trendy, not really luxurious. Hotel lobby was trendy and busy. Was difficult to get service at times - had to wait quite a while for someone at the front desk. Either there was no one there at the desk or sometimes the lines were so long I really wondered why they don't have more people staffing it. The is free wi-fi in the lobby, but when I could not get it to work, the concierge told me to go ahead and select the pay option and he would remove it from our room charges. Of course, this was not done and I had to have the front desk remove it at check out. The free "wine" in the evening was just okay with not enough appetizers.

The one exception to all this was Marvin. He really helped us with our stay, was very friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. He always helped us get our car quickly from the valet, helped us with our bags, gave us recommendations and was just pleasant to chat with. Give that man a raise because he was the most worthwhile part of our two-night stay there.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank annchgo
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I was concerned at first pulling up to the front of the building. Not the most attractive neighborhood a few blocks out from the hotel. The staff were highly professional and the guests seemed high-end business types. Rooms were done really well, though the AC was not functioning at it's best and the wi-fi was essentially non-existent. Roof-top bar certainly worth checking out. Overall good experience.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TribeDT
RenMidtownGM, General Manager at Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2011

Thanks for your comments--much appreciated--especially the comments about our professional staff and rooftop 866! I did take note of your comments regarding our wi fi and the AC--and will follow up --thanks! Love Charleston--lived there for 3 years!

Reviewed May 8, 2011

Excellent hotel for me. From what I see the reviews can be highly biased based on your background and what are used to, so I will say this. I am not as rich as some of the folks that were here. I'm not trendy or gay. I like convenience. I like a higher star hotel in Mexico. I'm used to business trips with the business class hotels. Given that, I would say that this hotel was one of my favorites. It has character. It was very nice and clean. SUPER COMFORTABLE. Spacious, enough electrical outlets. Fridge big enough to hold water, beer, snacks, etc. Bathroom was very nice with plenty of towels. Soap, shampoo conditioner nice. People really friendly. Great area to walk within a block or two to many restaurants. Major shopping centers approximately a mile away (short drive).

Very nice area. felt safe, well lit. Lot of action going on. One thing which was not my favorite was more of a gay community. Literally about 50% or more were gay around there. Bugged my son more than me.

The balcony bar was absolutely dead one night and happening the other (because of a wedding).

If you want to go to strip club, be sure to take room key AND a business card from concierge or hotel manager. They will let you into Cheetahs for free.

Probably tons more, to share, but I really loved the hotel overall. I would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: Look for discounts (military, etc)