“Abysmal Service / Just Ok Food!”

The Melting Pot - Midtown
Reserve with OpenTable
The Melting Pot - Midtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #168 of 3,957 Restaurants in Atlanta
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 4th Street
Atlanta, Ga
“Abysmal Service / Just Ok Food!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I am a big fan of the Melting Pot for special occasions with friends. I've always found it to be ridiculously expensive for what you get but since I've been there several times I know that in advance.

I used to always get excellent service at the Tallahassee location but the one in Midtown just makes you wish you had gone to J. Alexanders for the Filet and paid half the price. This is my second New Year's Eve there and likely the last.

I paid $65 for a "not fresh" lobster tail, 2 pieces of filet, and some chicken, pork, and shrimp. The waitress completely forgot our vegetables (and I love the mushrooms with the greek goddess) and didn't even bring the meats out until after half of our broth had cooked off (I'd say at least a 30 minute wait) and it was really hard to cook the meat because the broth/wine was too shallow.

The cheese pairing wasn't a great taste (as it has been in the past), the salad was barely there, and the dessert was YUMMY (Thank GOD for the dessert)

I just think for the price paid Melting Pot should OVERWHELM you with amazing service but tonight's was anything but. The only redeemable note is that the waitress was really sweet when we did see her.

• Visited December 2012

North Pole, Alaska
“Great food, slow service”
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

The food and atmosphere was amazing. Our server was very kind and nice. She was also helpful with the menu. The only complaint I have is that we were there for 2 hours, which would of been longer if we did hurry along dessert and get another server to bring the check. I would go back in a heartbeat, but would allow myself more time. It seemed that they were a bit understaffed except for the greeters where there were 4 at the desk.

Atlanta, GA
“Bad experience”
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I've eaten here many times before and always love it. My wife and I decided to come here for our Christmas dinner. This time the experience was much worse as the service was terrible. It appeared to us that staffing was reduced for the holiday, so while the restaurant wasn't full, it was probably at capacity for the help available. Because of that, I don't mind if it takes longer to get our food, but things went a little too far. To start, we were there for about an hour and a half. Of that time, an hour and ten minutes was spent waiting for food. That's a little long in itself, but not once did we get any acknowledgment from our server, either apologizing, or letting us know she was aware it was taking a while and she hadnt forgotten us. Even the usual checkup from the manager making sure everyone was happy never happened. I spent more time raising my head above the booth looking for the server than I did eating. At one point my wife had to pull her personal water bottle from her bag just to have something to drink.

To politely hurry the service along, as the server was handing us the dessert menus, I told her that we have to be somewhere and would it be possible to have us out of there in 30 minutes. She told us no problem. She even failed to have dessert delivered and our credit card charged in that time. Dessert alone shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

The last straw was when I got home and went on their website to let them know of my dissatisfaction, their website wouldn't allow me to even get to a page where I could contact them. It gave me a timeout error after clicking the bottom to continue to the page where I could begin my letter.

As for the other categories: the atmosphere as always was quiet, romantic, and a pleasant place to eat. The food is usually great, but was a little below par this time. The main thing that caught our attention was the dessert. My wife asked for something that's available, but not on the menu. She knew of it from a recommendation from another server on a previous visit. She said it wasn't made correctly (creme brulee that didn't have the sugar cooked enough so it was just raw sugar on top among other things). The server was obviously overworked and just dumped the food down in a hurry and didn't have the usual passion they seem to have here. This was not related to us asking for expedited service. It seemed to be the theme all night.

In the end it wasn't about the speed, but the lack of acknowledgement and caring from the staff about the extensive delays. We have noticed a difference in this restaurant compared to other Melting Pots in Atlanta. We may take future business to those ones as they seem to have more passion for their work. I love the restaurant, which made it more disappointing that we were treated so poorly on such a special dinner night.

1 Thank lancerevo13
Macon
“A real delight!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

You go here to take your time and have some fun with your food. More of a special occasion or treat-yourself place. Great salads, popular choices of items to fondue yourself, a huge rack of wines and beverages, and marvelous deserts. The best service and atmosphere. Always busy, so you need to get a reservation. Have fun!

Boston, Georgia, United States
“Romantic dinner”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I found a great deal during restaurant week. We had a great 4 course meal that we lingered over for about 2 hours. A very special time together.

Visited October 2012