“Awesome Brunch!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Savannah, Georgia
“Awesome Brunch!”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I had the opportunity to visit this restaurant as part of an after-wedding brunch and couldn't have been more pleased. As many times as I'd been to Atlanta, I had no idea there was a Dekalb-Peachtree Airport. Built like a WWII officer's mess hall, the restaurant sits alongside the end of the runway. The side facing it is all glass, giving an incredible view as the planes are taking off and landing. With vintage planes mixing with corporate jets, it was fun just to watch everything coming and going. As good as the views were, the food was even better. It was a tremendous spread and I'm glad we got there early, because by the time we left the line was out the door. It may be one of Atlanta's hidden gems, but it's obviously known and loved by the locals!

Atlanta, GA
“Pretty good food -- a little pricey, but a great atmosphere”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I've been here a few times now. It's definitely reserved for a "once-in-a-while" meal because it is a bit more expensive than what I'm used to OTP. But, the food is pretty tasty and the atmosphere is great -- perfect for a date night or a fun, unpretentious night out with friends.

Northeast USA
“Brought back memories. Loved the beer cheeese soup.”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Back when this restaurant was part of a national corporate chain (Specialty Restaurants Corporation), I was a waiter at one of their other locations during my college days . I also remember stumbling on this location, when I was in Atlanta on business back in the early to mid-90's. This time around, I asked one of the guys from the local office if this place was still around. He told me that apparently, it had closed down, and then a private investor bought the property and renovated it recently. When I heard that, I knew I had to go there!

We went on a Sunday night, and there was a 17-piece Jazz band in the bar/lounge. Was very nice, but it was way too noisy for my taste, so we ate in the dining room, far enough away so that we could hear the band, but still be able to talk with our normal voices.

The decor was just like I remembered at the other place where I used to work - bombed-out farmhouse, sandbags, being able to watch the planes take off and land, and of course, the beer cheese soup!

Had the beer cheese soup to start. It was just like I remembered. Then I had the Winston's Chicken, which was 2 grilled chicked breasts with prosciutto (Italian ham), cheese, and bacon. It was very good, and a nice-sized portion too!

All in all, I loved it, both the food and the atmosphere. The waitress was very friendly and knowledgeable. The manager even came out and spoke to us. I really enjoyed this place, and it was nice that it wasn't crowded. But for a Sunday night, that was to be expected anyway. I can imagine how this place is on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Little known gem”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

This place is like stepping back in time to a World War Two NCO club, which is what it used to be I think. There are lots of comments about the food not being up to par but lately and I mean since at least the summer the food has been excellent.

I've had issues with the food in the past and it seems like they've really turned the corner now. Today I had the soup du jour which was a rustic eggplant and chickpea concoction with tomatoes and onion that just nailed it for a fall dish.

My wife had a fried talapia sandwich that she reports was fried to perfection and I noticed that the portion of talapia was very sizable.

But the highlight is the patio where on sunny days it's hard to beat. And if you enjoy planes then it's even better. To some this is a detriment and you should stay away from here.

Before we would come here knowing not to expect much from the food but just to sit and enjoy an afternoon with a beer, but now the food really makes it worth the trip.

The beer could be a little colder and they tend to bring it in cups unless you ask them for a glass but it's really a neat little hidden gem.

Athens, Georgia
“It's Back - We have missed 57th Fighter Group and the BeerCheese Soup!”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I were so sad when they closed a several years ago! But it's back and we LOVE it! My parents would take my brothers and I here when we were children and it looks the same on the inside (brings back so many memories). You must try the Sunday Brunch Buffett - WOW it is wonderful!

1 Thank Farmer99