“Little known gem”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Atlanta, Georgia
“Little known gem”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

This place is like stepping back in time to a World War Two NCO club, which is what it used to be I think. There are lots of comments about the food not being up to par but lately and I mean since at least the summer the food has been excellent.

I've had issues with the food in the past and it seems like they've really turned the corner now. Today I had the soup du jour which was a rustic eggplant and chickpea concoction with tomatoes and onion that just nailed it for a fall dish.

My wife had a fried talapia sandwich that she reports was fried to perfection and I noticed that the portion of talapia was very sizable.

But the highlight is the patio where on sunny days it's hard to beat. And if you enjoy planes then it's even better. To some this is a detriment and you should stay away from here.

Before we would come here knowing not to expect much from the food but just to sit and enjoy an afternoon with a beer, but now the food really makes it worth the trip.

The beer could be a little colder and they tend to bring it in cups unless you ask them for a glass but it's really a neat little hidden gem.

• Visited October 2011

Athens, Georgia
“It's Back - We have missed 57th Fighter Group and the BeerCheese Soup!”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I were so sad when they closed a several years ago! But it's back and we LOVE it! My parents would take my brothers and I here when we were children and it looks the same on the inside (brings back so many memories). You must try the Sunday Brunch Buffett - WOW it is wonderful!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Farmer99
Duluth, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beer cheese soup to die for + atmosphere!”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This restaurant has the best atmosphere in town! Food is wonderful, especially the beer cheese soup!

• Visited June 2011
Atlanta
“Can't wait to return”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I am an Atlanta native, but had never heard of this place. My husband and I decided to try brunch on Sunday. I have to say that it was such a nice escape from every other Atlanta place. I almost felt like I was on vacation. The building itself is really neat. The foot was OUTSTANDING! And our server, Amy, was so wonderful, we asked her what days she works. We have nothing but wonderful things to say! Watching the planes was just an added bonus :)

• Visited July 2011
Tucker, Georgia
“Great food, but if you go, leave the kids at home...”
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I, like many others in the area were thrilled when this restaurant re-opened after many years. My son is a HUGE aviation nut and can think of no where better to eat... and neither could I until our two most recent visits. During both of these visits, my son was asked to sit down repeatedly by management, even though we were sitting outside. During the second visit, my son was helping me, walking less than ten feet from me and back and was still told to sit down. The wait staff has been very rude to him when he has asked for things like ginger ale to drink, saying that they don't have "special" drinks like that, and yet, you can order a ginger ale at the bar.

Honestly, if this is the direction that management wants to go, then be truthful about it. Post signs as you come in the door (and at the side entrance to the patio) asking that parents keep their children seated. I do think that it is unreasonable to ask children remain seated outside, especially when they are running/playing away from the tables in grassy areas.

After making sure we were there for their re-opening night, surprising my son on his birthday no less, and making several visits after that, these last two visits have left such a poor taste in our mouths that I doubt that we'll ever return. I would recommend this restaurant ONLY to my friends without children.

• Visited October 2010